Sponsored

Is anyone concerned about the 10-Speed Auto?

SouthernBronco6g

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’m optimistic Ford will fix the known issues by 2021 release.
Sponsored

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I had a 17 Camaro ZL1 with the 10-speed automatic and it was flawless. I mean seriously, it was amazing across the board and don't use the word amazing often. I bought my current 2018 F150 3.5L FX4 with the 10R80 and honestly, the transmission is the worst part of the truck. I tried to get them to flash mine but it came after the TSB date. Some issues I have:
  • Shift flare when cold.
  • Harsh or clunky shifts when cold.
  • Hard engagement into D when hot. This happens randomly but it will slam into gear. For example, sitting in a drive-thru waiting. I'll shift the truck into N and when I shift into D, BOOM. I guess it's the hidden neutral drop drive mode.
  • Rumble strip vibration when decelerating to a stop which occurs around 21->13 MPH. Shifting into neutral eliminates the vibration completely. Could be driveline related.
In general, I've found the transmission is fine in any gear above 5th. It's clunky and especially so when cold in gears 1-4. Resetting the adaptive learning does little to help. Compared to the ZF 8-speed into various FCA products, the 10-speed shifts like crap. Compared to the 10-speed in the ZL1, it shifts like complete hot garbage. I'm going to take it in within the next few weeks to see if they'll flash it and look into the vibration. I honestly feel like there might be something more than a flash issue wrong with my transmission, like fluid level or something in the valve body.

Hoping the Bronco will be better. I'm trading the F150 for the Bronco 4-Door FE, so my fingers are going to be crossed. How GM got it so right and Ford got it so wrong just blows my mind.
I have a '18 F150 lemon. At one point they replaced a pump on the trans that was causing excess pressure. That fixed the clunk for a while but now it's back. Lots of reprograms. My clunk is so bad I always have to look to see if I got rear ended. Another thing mine does (or doesn't do) is hesitate to shift when it's cold, then slams into 2nd gear almost causing whiplash.

Yes, this tranny worries me a lot in the Bronco. Will try to lease if possible but will still buy. If I have trany troubles I will probably trade it in asap and try again.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Haulin455

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the 10 speed in my current 2018 F-150 with the 3.5EB. Haven’t had any of the issues others have mentioned here. I’d still prefer the 7-MT in the Bronco but the 2.7EB is a fun engine as well...

KCBRUIN

First Edition
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 screw 3.5eb
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Could you provide us with an estimated mileage you have on those two vehicles?
5k on my personal 40k on my work truck. My Bronco will be very low mileage as well. Highest mileage personal vehicle I’ve had Since 2012 was 12k miles.

Sponsored

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the 10spd in my 2019 Ranger and it has been flawless

Cooknn

Badlands
First Name
David Cook
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The automatic transmission in my ’15 Focus was terrible until I finally got Ford to fix it. Now I feel like it's already thinking about starting the same stuttering behaviour as I press on the gas pedal. Or maybe it's just ingrained in my head.

Manual transmission in the new Bronco for me. I've been on both sides of the fence in the last couple weeks, but pretty sure this is how I'll order it.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My concern is this being my first slush box in a trail truck, what kind of cooling they have for the juice. Heat is the #1 killer for an auto trans. I hope they offer a AT temp gauge.

What is the 1st gear ratio of the 10 speed?

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
My concern is this being my first slush box in a trail truck, what kind of cooling they have for the juice. Heat is the #1 killer for an auto trans. I hope they offer a AT temp gauge.

What is the 1st gear ratio of the 10 speed?
Haven’t heard one way or other if there is a trans cooler. Most fords have transmission temp in the center display however the bronco is all new. New gauges. We shall see. But I imagine it will be included.

first gear is 4.70:1

Sponsored

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

No issues with the 10R80 in my truck, 45k miles, li know ots of other folks using them since 2017, all in all about 80k Raptors built, pushing that 5500 lb beast and sometimes we are very hard on it. The only complaints were in the beginning with the mapping and if something did fail, they didn't have parts. I know someone who has literally spent about 25k miles tearing up the west coast of Mexico, with lots of time in baja mode...trans is not an issue and the 3.5 throws a fair more amount of power through it.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Oh and one more thing, this is the same 10 speed trans that runs the Baja 1000 and COMPLETED it in time. There are many things to be concerned with a FY MY vehicle, you can really cross this trans off the worry list.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Same trans as in my AT4 and it’s been flawless. Very smooth shifting as well.

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2013 Lexus GX460, 2014 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the 10spd in my 2019 Ranger and it has been flawless
I agree most people are very happy with the 10 spd; it is a very small percentage that have problems. I am confident and will be getting the 10 spd. The little twin turbo is a great motor![/QUOTE]

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have a 19 F150 13k on the clock with the 10spd and most of those miles was heavy towing about 8600lbs zero issues. Ford has extra coolers for it so I am sure they will transfer to the Bronco
Sponsored