Sponsored

Is anyone concerned about the 10-Speed Auto?

stik0401

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Mustang and new Bronco ordered
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
10 speed is a great transmission. The suit is more focused on rough shifts than actual failures. Ford has explained this is due to the learning process. I can attest its not a big deal. I have the 10 spd in my 1000hp GT, its a super tough transmission. I beat the hell out of it in my Mustang. Also have it in my F150, no issues. The transmission learns pretty quick how you drive, it skips gears to save gas under light throttle. From my experience I say you'll love it. If you worried, look up the class action suit. There are several million of these on the road, it's in Chevys, Mustangs, F150 and Camaros. Percentage wise low failure rate.
Sponsored

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm coming from GM's 8 speed. Later Camaros were upgraded to 10 speed, co-developed by GM and Ford. Not sure if this is the same 10 speed Ford is still using.

The 8 speed has common 1 - 2 hard shift issue, shudder issues. From what I know the 10 speed is much much better than the old GM 8 speed auto, not much complain from the GM forum.

Ddtcm81

Big Bend
First Name
Tc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So Fords 10-speed auto has a few class action lawsuits against it right now. A ton of people are having issues with them from 2017-2020 and Ford won’t fix it from what I’ve read. Transmission clunking shifting hard stuck in a gear etc. I personally rented a limited f-150 4x4 with 700 miles on it and it had a bad drivetrain vibration in 3rd gear. I’m sure many people are running them with no issues but kinda sketchy to hand Ford your money knowing they are not backing up their product for what is likely thousands of people... thoughts?
Funny all my posts concerning the 10 speed where removed form this page very fast! - pending class action lawsuit over this transmission.

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ddtcm81

Big Bend
First Name
Tc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah and I believe this is the first time Ford has used this transmission manufacturer right? Or I could be completely wrong
It is not the firs time the Getrag in the mustang is also pending lawsuit.

Sponsored

Bronco88

Black Diamond
First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is one of the reasons why I’m going with the 7 speed. (The other is that I am a control freak) But I am also aware of recalls on the manual transmission of the mustang and focus... hmm. Which is more reliable automatics or manuals??
last getgrag manual ford put into a vehicle has been plagued the entire time, the mt-82 in the 2011-current mustangs, (I owned one) were garbage. 10 speed is much more stout and has much more support, that new 6+1 is built by getrag so not completely sold on it yet.

Jamesgang

Base
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 ford super duty
Your Bronco Model
Base
JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW. MY WIFE'S 2019 F-150 WITH THE 5.0 WITH 27,000 MILES IS IS SHOP NOW HAVING THE 10 SPEED AUTO REPLACED. BEEN MAKING NOISES AND SHIFTING FUNNY.

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW. MY WIFE'S 2019 F-150 WITH THE 5.0 WITH 27,000 MILES IS IS SHOP NOW HAVING THE 10 SPEED AUTO REPLACED. BEEN MAKING NOISES AND SHIFTING FUNNY.
Why are you yelling?

Sponsored

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope...

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man, if only there was a transmission engine that used nearly century-old methods to be more reliable and easier to work on/diagnose while also being more enjoyable to drive...
Oh, wait--it's impossible to have engineering advancements. Everything in a century-old vehicle was better. Bring back wooden wheels and frames! Never could trust them fancy-schmancy electric starters! Give me the hand crank any day! And don't get me started on not being able to manually set timing right from the driver's seat while driving.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The 10L80 in my 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 6.2L is butter smooth. 40,000 miles on it so far, zero issues. I think the F-150 is the 10R80, basically the same transmission. I'm pretty sure the 2021 Bronco will have the 10R80 as well.

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh, wait--it's impossible to have engineering advancements. Everything in a century-old vehicle was better. Bring back wooden wheels and frames! Never could trust them fancy-schmancy electric starters! Give me the hand crank any day! And don't get me started on not being able to manually set timing right from the driver's seat while driving.
At this point we should have automatics lasting 300k+ but most barely make it 150k or much much less. The old C6 or TH350 were awesome pieces but they didn't have overdrive and shifted hard (that's how they lasted, no slipping). As soon as they added more gears and slippery shifts they made them less reliable. You would think that by now they would have figured out how to make them more reliable but they haven't.

Also a manual is more fun to drive and that will never change. Flappy paddles are annoying as they spin around with the wheel and I can never find them.

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
10 speed auto in my 2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 25,000 plus miles and have had nothing but flawless operation.
Sponsored