Sponsored

Is anyone else cancelling and getting the F150 Lightning?

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Water vapor is the only emission with Hydrogen. Electricity is primarily generated by diesel, natural gas, and coal. Only a miniscule percentage of electricity is generated by hydo-electric dams, windmills, and solar. Just because you're electric vehicle doesn't produce emissions, doesn't mean the electricity generated to charge it didn't. Not to mention the toxic elements and metals that are mined to manufacture electric vehicle batteries. Some of these elements and metals are mined in foreign countries with poor environmental standards and working conditions. Water runoff, etc. from these mines can be an environmental issue. Electric Vehicles are an over hyped sham IMHO!
If that is how electricity is generated, how is hydrogen generated?
Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Water vapor is the only emission with Hydrogen. Electricity is primarily generated by diesel, natural gas, and coal. Only a miniscule percentage of electricity is generated by hydo-electric dams, windmills, and solar. Just because you're electric vehicle doesn't produce emissions, doesn't mean the electricity generated to charge it didn't. Not to mention the toxic elements and metals that are mined to manufacture electric vehicle batteries. Some of these elements and metals are mined in foreign countries with poor environmental standards and working conditions. Water runoff, etc. from these mines can be an environmental issue. Electric Vehicles are an over hyped sham IMHO!
I've addressed this in another thread but hydrogen production requires a massive amount of energy, so if you don't have enough power for electric cars then you don't have enough power for hydrogen production. Hydrogen transportation is extremely inefficient unless you use pipelines. You would literally have to run a hydrogen pipeline to every single gas station. You can't liquify hydrogen(outside of a lab) for transport. Fuel cells are less efficient than batteries. The current cost per mile with hydrogen fuel cells is about the same as you'd pay for gas in a Bronco

A55_CACTUS

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fv cars
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

when IS THE lighting due

False

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Call me crazy, but leaning towards having one of each! :ROFLMAO:Wasn't planning on getting rid of my F150 anyway, Bronco can't replace it, but I'm interested in the electric. I put in a reservation during the announcement presentation so I'm less likely to get delayed a MY like my Bronco this time. :rolleyes:

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hydrogen is renewable and easier to scale.

The power grid is a very old, very, VERY complex beast. Scaling it up to handle the level to replace oil is an astronomically difficult proposition. Texas was a great warning, but no one is really paying attention to just how fragile the power grid really is. We can’t store power on a large scale, so we have to be able to produce it on demand. That’s where things get interesting. I’m going to let an electrical engineer explain it in detail, if you’re interested.

Hydrogen, in comparison, can be stored and transported much like existing fuel. You can top off in seconds or replace fuel cells (depending on technology that wins out) to get back on the way.

The fact you have to stop and charge for 30+ minutes twice a work shift for those that drive for a living is a deal breaker. 270 mile range on the high end for standard models is really about 75-85% of that if you use air conditioner, etc.

Even natural gas would be a big upgrade compared to EV on the economy side and burns incredibly clean. Cleaner than EV, really when you factor in the fact that most EV are charged with power from coal or natural gas plants.
The part you all ignore is how to produce the hydrogen. The easiest way currently, is to crack crude oil just like they refine to make gasoline. Problem s, it takes forty times more ENERGY to crack the crude to extract the hydrogen. So you want to use up forty more times the amount of energy to create a fuel? Gasoline wins again.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly. The only recyclable part of the EV battery is the casing. The massive piles of spent lithium will mimic nuclear waste.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am waiting for the vehicle Ford builds that runs on Unicorn manure.

asurfer11

Badlands
First Name
ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 africa twin
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're comparing an unibody Hyundai compact pickup with independent suspension and well... Hyundai build quality to the bronco? Maybe the bronco sport. But the big bronco?
Yeah I know... I've been leasing fords the last 9 years. My first car was a 66 mustang. The price and capability of a compact truck like the hyundai is tempting. I have never spent 50k plus for a vehicle let alone a vehicle that gets less than 20mpg.

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah I know... I've been leasing fords the last 9 years. My first car was a 66 mustang. The price and capability of a compact truck like the hyundai is tempting. I have never spent 50k plus for a vehicle let alone a vehicle that gets less than 20mpg.
Ima be honest, I dont think the bronco is for you then.
The capability of the Hyundai is in towing/payload. But its still a midget truck, so good luck seeing around the trailer without bolt on tow mirrors. Or fitting whatever heavy thing into the tiny bed.
The broncos capability aspect is offroading. Itll go places that Hyundai will never come close to. Hyundai isn't known for building beefy suspension arms and bumpers and so forth. Its a commuter car that can tow a small trailer and haul trash to the dump. I like the little Hyundai for what it is, but it really doesn't compare to the bronco. At all.
If it better fits your lifestyle and needs, go for it. That Hyundai is significantly better than the Ridgeline. We'll have to see how it compares to the maverick but for a modern compact truck, Hyundai did good.

Sponsored

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The part you all ignore is how to produce the hydrogen. The easiest way currently, is to crack crude oil just like they refine to make gasoline. Problem s, it takes forty times more ENERGY to crack the crude to extract the hydrogen. So you want to use up forty more times the amount of energy to create a fuel? Gasoline wins again.
Very true! The internal combustion gasoline engine (ICE) is our best option, currently. Emissions and efficiency of ICE vehicles are improving dramatically every year. Electric Vehicle (EV) batteries technology will need to improve dramatically to rival the range and efficiency of ICE vehicles.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So the hydrogen process is less efficient than a battery electric vehicle. It's also more complicated. Sounds like it's lose-lose.
At this time, yes. ICE vehicles are currently the best option.

Ecobeast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Tempting to cancel, especially since no email from ford yet about delivery date. I reserved on 7/14... I'LL WAITANOTHER WEEK AND SEE...

The new hyundai santa cruz looks very attractive right now, just as much HP as the 2.3 and it can tow 5000lbs!!!
I really hope you’re just goofing with that Santa Cruz... There’s another vehicle that makes just as much power as the 2.3, tows 7500lbs, and has a fully boxed frame. On top of that’s been out for 2 years and you can buy one today. Even comes in the same colors as the Bronco!

It’s called the Ranger.

asurfer11

Badlands
First Name
ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 africa twin
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ima be honest, I dont think the bronco is for you then.
The capability of the Hyundai is in towing/payload. But its still a midget truck, so good luck seeing around the trailer without bolt on tow mirrors. Or fitting whatever heavy thing into the tiny bed.
The broncos capability aspect is offroading. Itll go places that Hyundai will never come close to. Hyundai isn't known for building beefy suspension arms and bumpers and so forth. Its a commuter car that can tow a small trailer and haul trash to the dump. I like the little Hyundai for what it is, but it really doesn't compare to the bronco. At all.
If it better fits your lifestyle and needs, go for it. That Hyundai is significantly better than the Ridgeline. We'll have to see how it compares to the maverick but for a modern compact truck, Hyundai did good.
I appreciate the feedback. Thank you
Sponsored