Is Bimini canvas top water tight? Or is it just for sun protection?

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kia Soul ! Turbo
Clubs

Can you please speak a little louder, I didn't catch that last part... I have water in my ears. 🤣
Water does take the path of least resistance! :p I kid.

Don't take my experience to be a deterrent, I'm still actually getting the Mesh one for sun protection.

If used properly they are fantastic tops. Just don't expect to stay dry if you get caught in a rainstorm with one on.

Advertisement

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Clubs

Watertight is not the right word.
Of course they are open ate the back but i was wondering if driver stays dry or it’s gonna pour water on the side of the door
Mostly dry! Dryer than without!

I've had 3 Jeeps and this top is of similar construction.

The front is mostly tight at the windshield, but you might get the occasional droplets.

The sides are not fastened tight enough to seal, and both wind and splash could get you, but it's not terrible. Your door panels will be wet.

The back doesn't cover completely and you will get rain behind your seat(s), but not directly on you. Additional to this, you will get a lot of spray or mist that WILL funnel forward to get you, from the rear!

You WILL get wet... it's not a real top, it's a cover.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple of Acuras
Clubs

Water does take the path of least resistance! :p I kid.

Don't take my experience to be a deterrent, I'm still actually getting the Mesh one for sun protection.

If used properly they are fantastic tops. Just don't expect to stay dry if you get caught in a rainstorm with one on.
LOL

Yeah, I plan to get one too... but probably will wait until later. I plan to get the soft top for delivery (and getting the paint matched modular once it's available). The bimini will give a third option for a top.

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kia Soul ! Turbo
Clubs

LOL

Yeah, I plan to get one too... but probably will wait until later. I plan to get the soft top for delivery (and getting the paint matched modular once it's available). The bimini will give a third option for a top.
Not a bad idea. The factory priced one is still right in line with market value. And to be completely transparent, I don't know if they've improved the design in the last seven months to make them more sealed on the front.

Adumb

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grand Cherokee LTD
Does anyone know if you can leave the back shell of the MIC hardtop on (over the cargo) AND put either one of these biminis over the front 2 rows at the same time?

Johnny Mo

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Vehicle Showcase
Does the soft top translate to removable side windows and panels so it can function like the bimini? That I suspect would be better at unexpected rainstorm protection.

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Clubs

"IF" the top on the FIlson Bronco is the offered bimini, then to me it looked watertight and fit tight to the gaskets.

PXL_20201023_191553018.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg
Isn’t Filson just the soft top with the rear/side windows removed, and not Bimini?

OP
_2020_

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Vehicle Showcase
Does the soft top translate to removable side windows and panels so it can function like the bimini? That I suspect would be better at unexpected rainstorm protection.
Most likely as it cannot fold with windows on. I am looking into a 2dr... not an option for me

damarble

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Sport Trac, 13 Edge, 09 Focus, 07 Explorer
Clubs

Isn’t Filson just the soft top with the rear/side windows removed, and not Bimini?
No it was definitely a bimini, it was strapped to the rear sport bars.

KJR50

First Name
K
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not telling U.
Bimini on year round...and a back up plan tucked under the seat for the handful of drizzle days they call monsoon here in SoCal.
2BF116F8-3634-42C2-8C63-49C0A9AE17E7.jpeg

Vigor

Outer Banks
First Name
Justin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima 2011
Bummer! I was hoping the canvas top was waterproof. On the two door Badlands I was planning to order this would be more than enough protection for me if I occasionally got caught in the rain. I would just pull the drain plugs and wipe out any pools in the cargo area when it stopped.

I guess I will just have to wait for the aftermarket to come out with a full soft top or a waterproof bimini for 1/3 the cost of Ford's! :ROFLMAO:
Seriously... lol
I looked at Jeeps biminis and you can get them for 35 to 120 dollars!

TommyBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Thomas
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Does anyone know if you can leave the back shell of the MIC hardtop on (over the cargo) AND put either one of these biminis over the front 2 rows at the same time?
This is exactly what I was thinking. Especially because you cannot take out the mid piece with the roof rack on the 4 door or take it with you. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work together but I also would like someone to confirm. Would also like to see if this is really ez to throw on and if it can be folded and placed in the back when not in use.

Advertisement

Advertisement