Sponsored

Is Ford Benchmarking the Toyota 4Runner for a New Bronco?

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Id be down for a hard roof bronco. As long as the top could be white. Wife isnt getting a bronco for the removable roof anyways, I have a jeep for that. She just has to have some sort of open air roof (even another sunroof would work). Whole plan was for the white top mod roof. I and she could give 2 sh*ts for the mic top or soft top.
Bingo

Ford Bronco Is Ford Benchmarking the Toyota 4Runner for a New Bronco? Blue FJ Crusier 2
Ford Bronco Is Ford Benchmarking the Toyota 4Runner for a New Bronco? 2540
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I for one am not down with a Bronco with a fixed roof. Just step up and figure out how to make a good quiet solid roof. Even if it isnt super easy to remove. Thats fine as long as it does. As for benchmarking a 4 runner?
Ford Bronco Is Ford Benchmarking the Toyota 4Runner for a New Bronco? 1630477431733

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Easy, set the Flex body on the Bronco frame....
once you see that Bronco/Flex body overlay somebody here created, you can't unsee it.

We're all going nutso over lifted Flex's.
LOL
To be fair, the Flex is a great looking vehicle. The people hating on it just have poor taste. It is (was) a beacon of uniqueness in a see of bland, cookie cutter crossovers.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I for one am not down with a Bronco with a fixed roof. Just step up and figure out how to make a good quiet solid roof. Even if it isnt super easy to remove. Thats fine as long as it does. As for benchmarking a 4 runner?
Ford Bronco Is Ford Benchmarking the Toyota 4Runner for a New Bronco? 1630477431733
It wo t be a Bronco other than by name ... like the Sport. There is going to be a whole family of Bronco themed vehicles.

I've said it before and it pertains to this topic of solid roofed "Broncos" .... give me an Excursion based Bronco, basically a Tremor package on an Excursion.
Not certain I could afford it, but DAMN!!!

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There really is no reason why it has to be 100% solid roof though. My FSB is quiet inside it doesnt squeak or rattle at 90 mph with a headwind. Sure its a pain to take the top off but it can be done and enjoyed. Hell make it just a large single removable roof panel and I would be happy.

I too wish for a larger Bronco. This one does satisfy my capability needs but the 4 door barely meets my capacity needs.

Even if they do a larger Bronco with a fixed roof maybe a coach builder if there are any left can do what they did before. The Centurion was pretty awesome if you ask me.
Aside from sheer sheetmetal real estate a modern version would surely kick out alot of complaints from the BSG. I mean just imagine how many cupholder and rear vents could be added.
5pnWA6QHaEK?w=277&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1.jpg
C_arhZwHaFj?w=240&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1.jpg
O_An81gHaFj?w=216&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1.jpg
DUn13ygHaFj?w=281&h=211&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1.jpg
U71M5jQHaFj?w=216&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1.jpg
7yPeB1QHaEK?w=299&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1.jpg
eOzXTcAHaE7?w=263&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1.jpg

b1lf

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rumor is they are making a non-removable hardtop Bronco. So, a 4Runner would be your target there. I posted a thread about it earlier, but it got Doug’d as a duplicate. 🤷‍♂️
I would absolutely prefer a non-removeable hardtop Bronco over the current design which has already reared up its issues (get it?) and provides no ideal function to myself personally.

I live in SoCal:

• I want to go surfing - toss my 8'2" board on a roof rack
    • Can't easily remove the hard top sections.
    • Can't even put a roof rack on a softtop?
  • Toss my mountain bike or road bike on a roof rack:
    • Can't easily remove the hard top sections.
    • Can't open the soft top at all.
  • It's cold. I start driving to work top all buttoned up. I decide I want to open the roof mid-drive.
    • Soft top, stop at a light and I can flip it back relatively easily.
    • Hard top, remove a panel above my head at a gas station, put it in one of the bags then in the trunk. Realistically ----- I'll just continue driving to work 85% of the time.

If I had a powered sunroof like the 4runner.... or even better, a powered panoramic sunroof like the Defender, I'd flip it back with the push of a button AND I'd have enough clearance for a roof rack that I can actually keep fixed to the vehicle and toss stuff on.

I understand Ford wanted to take on the Wrangler. They have. They've probably won. But did they REALLY need to copy the damn design of the Wrangler to the T?

We're not going to be ripping our doors and roof off to drive to Chili's for lunch on a Wednesday. Release a factory fixed hardtop.......................

P.S. No, I don't just want to get a Sport instead.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd not be surprised if some aftermarket company comes out with a one piece solid roof that actually can carry some weight, maybe with a sun roof built in.
Not something I'd buy, I don't want anything on my roof, but there is certainly demand for that option it seems.
Ideally I'd like a hard top in the back and a soft top for both rows on my 4 door in front, hope somebody will make that, until then I'll just flip back my soft top and don't GAF about 'wavy' windows, no bother to me. I just want that open roof.

b1lf

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd not be surprised if some aftermarket company comes out with a one piece solid roof that actually can carry some weight, maybe with a sun roof built in.
Not something I'd buy, I don't want anything on my roof, but there is certainly demand for that option it seems.
I think most aftermarket manufacturers would shy away from the powered sunroof idea because of the (massive) potential for leaking / failed mechanics / warranty. But I'm all for it. I'm hoping for it really...

Ideally I'd like a hard top in the back and a soft top for both rows on my 4 door in front, hope somebody will make that, until then I'll just flip back my soft top and don't GAF about 'wavy' windows, no bother to me. I just want that open roof.
Have you seen what that front flip-top roof looks like?

Ford Bronco Is Ford Benchmarking the Toyota 4Runner for a New Bronco? vm2dz-78501c25-b_top_closed_1024x1024

OrangecrushBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We have had plenty of threads debating the Bronco vs the 4Runner, that is not the point of this thread.

We have heard Ford will continue to expand the Bronco family, what if Ford is using their test 4Runner vehicle for NVH Testing (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) and other benchmark criteria to develop a new fixed hardtop Bronco to go head to head with the 4Runner?

Is Ford Benchmarking the Toyota 4Runner for a New Bronco?

A suspicious 4Runner TRD Pro has been spotted cruising around Dearborn.

Ford Bronco Is Ford Benchmarking the Toyota 4Runner for a New Bronco? vm2dz-78501c25-b_top_closed_1024x1024
I guess it depends if they can actually build and deliver them.

OrangecrushBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

In the vein if retro styling I'm surprised there hasn't been a full metal removable top.
Sponsored