Sponsored

Is having a spare tire on the back rear door simply a styling trend?

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just watch a Jeep Gladiator video and how their spare does offroad. It hits a lot of stuff. The tailgate swinging out to the curb takes some getting used to. It's easy to smash it into an attached trailer (my neighbor did this to his wrangler). I have a soft top wrangler, so my rear window doesn't open up. You have to unzip it and remove it. It's a pain for loading stuff in the back. I have a two door, though. So there isn't any room anyway. On road I pretty much always drive around with a cargo carrier in the hitch.
Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
IMO it should be on it's own swing gate and the back of the Bronco should have a tailgate but I don't see that happening. DAMN those bean counters. :LOL:
It would be great if it could open as a tail gate and the tire swing down somehow so that could happen.

ExJPR

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jp rubi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I personally prefer a flat back end. Here in IA, I am able to legally remove the back bumper, center brake light and spare. Moved from PA where I could not do so,
Ford Bronco Is having a spare tire on the back rear door simply a styling trend? spare

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I donā€™t mind the aesthetic but Iā€™d happily pay an option charge for a drop gate and hidden spare. Without a tailgate it forces larger items onto your roof. Iā€™d rather just drop the gate and have the extra foot of length behind the seats.
Im certain Ford has considered this and we will *hopefully* get fold flat rear seats
Where would you hide it though? I see no where under where it could go, so that means in the back cargo area with a cover on it?

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Where would you hide it though? I see no where under where it could go, so that means in the back cargo area with a cover on it?
Many vehicles these days don't even come with a spare tire. You get a repair kit that often doesn't do the job.

Sponsored

Chadillac

Base
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Either underneath (if designed to accept it), or omitted altogether. Ideally it would have a separate swing gate for the tire like the OG Broncos had. A spare is good for piece of mind but I don't necessarily think it is a must.

mattpa

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Many vehicles these days don't even come with a spare tire. You get a repair kit that often doesn't do the job.
Either underneath (if designed to accept it), or omitted altogether. Ideally it would have a separate swing gate for the tire like the OG Broncos had. A spare is good for piece of mind but I don't necessarily think it is a must.
The Fusion Hybrid (at least in 2014) just came with the BS inflator kit. I had a side wall blow out in the rain a couple years ago. Crappy weather for changing a tire but it would've been better than the tow bill.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So looking under a JKUR as a proxy, there isnā€™t enough overhang to put it underneath behind the axle. If you put it in front of the axle youā€™d have to hang the transfer case down lower and the driveshaft underneath it and youā€™d eat into the gas tank.

I could see removing the spare around town, but for trail or distance travel Iā€™d want it back on. Which means you need room in your garage for a 34ā€ x 12ā€ spare. Maybe some kind of donut, but how that works with a solid rear axle I am not sure.

I do wish the new Bronco had a tire carrier and tailgate because, it is just right. But the swing gate is more practical
Ford Bronco Is having a spare tire on the back rear door simply a styling trend? B02472F9-B426-4F63-955A-F46F41D974C2
Ford Bronco Is having a spare tire on the back rear door simply a styling trend? 03713E4A-5439-457F-A4DD-587ECEA096F6

phillyfx4

Outer Banks
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F 150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
my 2008 F 150 ext cab has the spare tire underneath the bed..... a ROYAL PITA , putting the 3 pc rod together that slides in to drop the tire on some kind of cable, getting it lowered, then dragging it out for access.....can't imagine doing that off road on uneven terrain.....I'll take a mounted spare 8 days a week ! ;)

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

my 2008 F 150 ext cab has the spare tire underneath the bed..... a ROYAL PITA , putting the 3 pc rod together that slides in to drop the tire on some kind of cable, getting it lowered, then dragging it out for access.....can't imagine doing that off road on uneven terrain.....I'll take a mounted spare 8 days a week ! ;)
Every pickup truck I've dealt with except my Paw Paw's old 1960-something Ford pickup managed the spare that way. Paw Paw's old pickup might have been set up that way, too, I don't know. He just kept a full sized spare and a high lift jack in the bed.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ever been off road out of cell service(doesnt take far) with your new girlfriend? You sure do look alot better slapping that spare one in less than however long you tell her it'll take, than telling her shes gonna have to walk back down that muddy road you took her on for fun.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ever been off road out of cell service(doesnt take far) with your new girlfriend? You sure do look alot better slapping that
Up to this point I thought this was going somewhere way different than where it was actually heading lol

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Up to this point I thought this was going somewhere way different than where it was actually heading lol
I got the same vibe too ... I have to say, I was disappointed when I finally finished ...

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Skimming through this thread but is it really questioning why Ford didnā€™t fit a 35ā€ spare tire under a short wheel base Off-road vehicle?
do we have a Karen .gif yet??

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Skimming through this thread but is it really questioning why Ford didnā€™t fit a 35ā€ spare tire under a short wheel base Off-road vehicle?
do we have a Karen .gif yet??
yeah, thats pretty much the main topic of this thread. while I do like it on the back, depending on final design and everything, I may end up putting it in the back along the side, when I have the seat removed anyways.
Sponsored