Sponsored

Is ICON the only maker of hub centric 93.1 wheels?

alabamadave

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Are there any wheel websites that allow one to search or filter by hub bore size?
Sponsored

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
ICON and RTR are the only ones that I know of, at least.

RTR has given a sneak peak of their new wheel coming and it's decent looking, but I'm betting it's pushing 30+lbs per wheel, which is too heavy for my taste.

OP
OP
alabamadave

alabamadave

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks Slyder. I am with you and likewise want a <30 lb. wheel if buying replacement for stock.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The new RTR wheel is decent looking and I reached out to about how much it weighs, but no reply back yet.

Ford Bronco Is ICON the only maker of hub centric 93.1 wheels? RTR EVO6

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Are there any wheel websites that allow one to search or filter by hub bore size?
Hub centric?

Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Trail Ready made mine perfectly. Hub Bore and offset. They are pricey and they are custom though

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The lug nuts hold the wheel on not center of the hub
Many hub centric applications (factory wheels) have the hub support the weight of the vehicle, the lug nuts just clamp the wheel on. My older F-150’s (1999, 2001, 2003) had square bottom lug nuts for clamping only, then Ford changed from 12mm studs to 14mm studs for 2001 I was able to use the 2001+ wheels on my 1999 12mm stud truck without issue because all the lug nuts were doing was clamping.

Lug centric has the lug nuts both support weight and clamp. A hub centric ring can help center the wheel better when securing the lugs if it is machined precisely.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The lug nuts hold the wheel on not center of the hub
Not to sound like a jerk, but you're kind of missing the point.

Hub centric wheels and other aftermarket wheels that people use hub centric rings on to get the proper hub size for their vehicle, essentially center the wheel on the vehicles hub assembly/ rear axle assembly.
This basically distributes the vehicles weight and any of the load, shock and other forces encountered on the road or trail across the center of the hub, which is better designed to take it than the wheel studs are.

Yes, lug nuts hold the wheel on the hub and yes, if you choose to run wheels without hub centric rings you're free to do so, but it's not really advised.

Hub centric wheels and wheels with hub centric rings are easier on hub and axle bearings & assemblies and hold their balance much, much better.

Wheels that are only held on and centered by the lug nuts themselves are much more prone to go out of balance from impacts and sudden shocks/loads and when they do, it places more stress on the bearings and other components. They also can have a tendency to wobble (kinda like death wobble) at highway speeds.
I personally encountered this on a friends vehicle.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A lug centric wheel with the correct lug nuts matching the wheel torqued to the recommended specifications centers the wheel on the hub.

Lug centric the lug nuts must be fully seated and correctly torqued to spec.
If a hub centric ring is needed because the wheel is not centered on the hub then that would cause the lugs nuts not to be able to be fully seated in the wheel.
If lug nuts are not fully seated and torqued they will come loose.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

A lug centric wheel with the correct lug nuts matching the wheel torqued to the recommended specifications centers the wheel on the hub.

Lug centric the lug nuts must be fully seated and correctly torqued to spec.
If a hub centric ring is needed because the wheel is not centered on the hub then that would cause the lugs nuts not to be able to be fully seated in the wheel.
If lug nuts are not fully seated and torqued they will come loose.
Hubcentric is better, stronger, and less likely to vibrate or fail than Lugcentric.

Lugcentric the studs and lug nuts are doing two jobs (clamping and centering) and thus have a higher possibility for failure. (Bending or shearing).

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It is pretty easy to get a set of 106 to 93.1 hub rings. Just throwing that out there
That’s great until the new guy at your tire shop bolts one wheel with two rings and one with none, and a few miles down the road (if you’re lucky) you need a new wheel and lug bolts …
Sponsored