_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Tire Information Placard became standardized for content, format and location in 2003. Prior to that they were kind of all over the place. I know I had Fords out of the '80s that had them in the glove box. But the feds wanted to make that info easy to locate and easy to read. This came along shortly after the whole Firestone / Explorer thing, so I think that there is a correlation there. As far as I can tell, the law dictates where the decal goes and what content it has, and requires manufacturers to follow suit. But I don't think it prevents a vehicle owner from removing or cover it up. Kind of like the air bag or rollover caution labels on sunvisors that no one reads. The only downside to removing it, I would think - other than loosing an easy reference for tire info - comes from resale. A perspective buyer might find it a bit fishy if its gone, assuming they know enough to look in the first place...
I think the stickers have been in that location (on Fords at least) since I've been driving: 1995. I remember my dad telling me that I should check the tire pressure whenever I stop for gas and showing me that I could find out the recommended pressure on that sticker.

As far as it being in r response to the Firestone Exploder issue, I vividly recall borrowing my dad's Explorer shortly before the Firestone Exploder news for a camping trip, thinking the tires looked really low, going to the gas station for air, and then finding out the tires were already at the recommended 26 PSI on the door sticker, and my surprise that that was the recommend tire pressure.
Sponsored

Schmack B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Being a mechanic and a alignment tech, i look at those two stickers on every car work on. Anything u need to know about the vehicle and its particular options are on those. It would be a lot harder if cars started coming in without them or covered in some way.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think the stickers have been in that location (on Fords at least) since I've been driving: 1995. I remember my dad telling me that I should check the tire pressure whenever I stop for gas and showing me that I could find out the recommended pressure on that sticker.

As far as it being in r response to the Firestone Exploder issue, I vividly recall borrowing my dad's Explorer shortly before the Firestone Exploder news for a camping trip, thinking the tires looked really low, going to the gas station for air, and then finding out the tires were already at the recommended 26 PSI on the door sticker, and my surprise that that was the recommend tire pressure.
I had a Limited Explorer at the time also. Nicely appointed vehicle and overall great vehicle, but the 4WD was trash. But during that time, the underinflated tires was based on the recommended pressure on the door jam which was obviously wrong. When you went to the manufacturer's site, it was much higher (can't remember the exact psi). But when filled to the correct pressure it was fine. I never understood how some owners would think the recommended pressure on the sticker was adequate. Overall, it worked out fine for me as there were 2 subsequent recalls (Ford should have just updated the door jam recommended pressure). I ended up getting 2 sets of tires over the different recalls and each time I filled them to the manufacture's psi requirements ignoring Ford's recommended psi.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, keep in mind, the tire manufacturer's pressure rating is simply the max that those tires should run at, not a recommendation for road usage in any/every vehicle. The vehicle manufacture is supposed to recommend a pressure that is best suited for the specific vehicle in question, which accounts for normal driving in that vehicle. Obviously, Ford screwed the pooch on that one with early Explorer; they started off with a reasonable rating, but lowered it to 26 after they got ride quality complaints without proper re-validation and against Firestone's recommendations.

Anyway, my '99 Mustang and the '99 Contour I used to own had the sticker on the driver's door jam as well, though I feel like my old Aerostar had it on the opposite side. not sure now. But at that point, not everyone was doing it the same. That's why the feds decided to standardize it in 2003. Not only did all manufacturers have to put it in the same, consistent location, but they also had to standardize the format and content. That way, owners and mechanics could easily always find and read it without searching all around.
Sponsored