Sponsored

Is it possible to add a Ford Stabilizer Bar disconnect later?

Calicorks

Badlands
First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a decion to make Badlands for the disco bar, or all other models for Sport mode. Life would be perfect if I can add the disconnect later. Anyone know if it’s possible? I hate to spend more for a Badlands and not get exactly what I want. That Sport mode to me is worth it, but I plan on using my Bronco for off-roading that needs the disconnect function. If it’s possible to add later, any idea on how much?
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not easily, if at all. If it ends up being possible, it’ll be pricy. You’re missing buttons, wiring, etc. it’s all tied into SYNC/GOAT.

Far easier and cheaper to wait for an aftermarket solution like manual quickdisconnects.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It won’t be easy or cheap to add it later. I’d personally just get a Badlands.

I don’t think Ford has fully explain what the difference between Baja mode nad Sport mode is. BUT many users on this forum said that Baja mode felt and operated similar to Sport mode.

I personally have never driven Bronco with a Sport mode, but I have driven a Ford Escape in Sport mode and a Bronco Wildtrak in Baja mode. And they are definitely very similar—although admittedly I didn’t get to drive the Bronco for that long.

So… theoretically…. you could just switch the Bronco to Baja mode and turn it back to 2H (Baja defaults to 4H)… and you’d have something very similar to Sport mode.

soupcook

Outer Banks
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger and 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm wondering if the manual sway bar disconnect is as simple as a Jeep Wrangler. Can it be disconnected for the off-road articulation and put back at the end? I'm sure there will be manual quick disconnects in the future...even full hydraulic disconnects that can be connected to one of the AUX switches...hopefully.

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

I don’t think Ford has fully explain what the difference between Baja mode nad Sport mode is. BUT many users on this forum said that Baja mode felt and operated similar to Sport mode.

I personally have never driven Bronco with a Sport mode, but I have driven a Ford Escape in Sport mode and a Bronco Wildtrak in Baja mode. And they are definitely very similar—although admittedly I didn’t get to drive the Bronco for that long.

So… theoretically…. you could just switch the Bronco to Baja mode and turn it back to 2H (Baja defaults to 4H)… and you’d have something very similar to Sport mode.
this seems very very likely.

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I saw several of the test drivers say this exact thing when Bronco was doing King of the Hammers.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The factory disconnects could be done but very expensive. Manual disconnects are cheap and easy. Sport mode cannot be added later. Sport mode is nothing like Baja.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The factory disconnects could be done but very expensive. Manual disconnects are cheap and easy. Sport mode cannot be added later. Sport mode is nothing like Baja.
How is it not like Baja? Other than 2WD/4WD since that is accounted for.

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ok I will bite, exactly how is sport mode different from Baja mode in 2h?

Sponsored

Thane

Badlands
First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Manual disconnects are far from easy to disconnect and reconnect especially as the hardware ages.

Lighter tension swaybar is much better or remove it entirely, may require spring upgrade. IFS guys have been doing this for decades.

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There have been a number of forums about adding the disco afterwards. The consensus is that it would be very difficult to do because of the links to all of the software within the Bronco. Check out @North7 post https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...onnect-operational-service-information.18082/
The complexity of the job depends on how much you want it integrated with the software. In the end, 12V to the solenoid disconnects the sway bar. Removing 12V reconnects it. Find the power lead to the solenoid, hook it up to a switch with a 12V power supply, and you have the equivalent of a manual disconnect from the convenience of the driver's seat. Now, the manufacturer might have made it extremely hard to get to the solenoid lead. We won't know until we can examine one off the vehicle. And you'll need to be the type of driver who knows how to set lockers, 4wd,, and the sway bar without dialing a GOAT mode.

If you want to integrate it with the software you are probably looking at adding and maybe swapping wiring harnesses and the price goes up. I wouldn't be surprised if the Badlands is unique with some connections, etc. In the end though, there are F150 guys adding adaptive cruise control for under $600 and Forscan.

All that being said, if you think this is a feature you will use all the time, buy the Badlands. But, hey, if building up a base is your thing, and you find one at a junkyard, give it a go. If I found one functional for the right price I would, but for the project, not the need for a disconnect.

Last edited:

Chaos

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The complexity of the job depends on how much you want it integrated with the software. In the end, 12V to the solenoid disconnects the sway bar. Removing 12V reconnects it. Find the power lead to the solenoid, hook it up to a switch with a 12V power supply, and you have the equivalent of a manual disconnect from the convenience of the driver's seat. Now, the manufacturer might have made it extremely hard to get to the solenoid lead. We won't know until we can examine one off the vehicle. And you'll need to by the type of driver who knows how to set lockers, 4wd,, and the sway bar without dialing a GOAT mode.

If you want to integrate it with the software you are probably looking at adding and maybe swapping wiring harnesses and the price goes up. I wouldn't be surprised if the Badlands is unique with some connections, etc. In the end though, there are F150 guys adding adaptive cruise control for under $600 and Forscan.

All that being said, if you think this is a feature you will use all the time, buy the Badlands. But, hey, if building up a base is your thing, and you find one at a junkyard, give it a go. If I found one functional for the right price I would, but for the project, not the need for a disconnect.
This right here.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It appears as though when the "Goat" mode is one of it's "off road" modes it tends to be "sluggish" taking off from the dig. In sport mode it appears to awaken the Bronco from a red light. I don't know how true this is as I have not driven one yet. I will tell you better next week after I drive one. If the one I drive is not a BL.
Sponsored