Sponsored

Is it really the trans ford is protecting?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Anyway, just another thought on a possible reason for the nannies.
I think that you made some excellent points regarding the rest of the driveline, that certainly could explain it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
:D406's only have a 3.15 diff ratio (technically), but overall with portal boxes are 6.52. Those diffs are a "hair" beefier than even the new upgraded 44's.

This is one of the 406 axles I have, next to a 404 diff. I believe the 406's are rated 4 ton.

DCP02240.jpg

And the 404's have held up to 42/43's for 17 years now, on a 6000 lb rig with only one diff exploding.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
M190 front axles and aluminum front diff I would bet. Factory Engine/Trans calibration has to be safe for those parts.
Could be, but I though the SAS gets a cast iron front diff case.

The Bronco rear differential is the same size as the 2.7L F150 (8.8"/220mm) but a 4.7 ratio gear set will be weaker than a 3.55 set due to the smaller teeth so there's a possibility it's that but I doubt it.

I'm wondering if it might be a worst case dynamics thing, like torque steer in 4A when the front drive kicks in. If so, you would hope it would only limit torque when in 4A or 4x4 but after hearing Esteban try to explain the GVWR calculation method I would be surprised by nothing.

The transfer case clutch is another potential weak point. The F150 has similar so probably not that.

Hopefully it can be easily tuned out but with how connected these things are I assume Ford immediately gets a "void all warranties" message when doing so 😆
Thanks, didn't know they upped the D44 ring gear size. Agree on the weaker pinion gear especially

They certainly know if you are tuned, if they look. I wouldn't be so quick to give up on my drivetrain warrantee just yet, everything is too fresh.

GWagen, first Gen Cayenne and Touareg.
It was a rhetorical question, no other vehicle uses the new bronco drivetrain. What the Germans have done only proves that they could, not that Ford did (especially at same price points).

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Could be, but I though the SAS gets a cast iron front diff case.
SAS does. I don't think Ford is going to make different calibrations for Sas equipped Broncos, though. The factory tune should be a one-size-fits-all. We'll know for sure once we can get into the ECM.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
SAS does. I don't think Ford is going to make different calibrations for Sas equipped Broncos, though. The factory tune should be a one-size-fits-all. We'll know for sure once we can get into the ECM.
Why not? There are factory parameters in HP tuners that allow you to set an actual torque value (not to exceed), for 2.7 fusions at least. I suspect the Bronco is somewhere between the full nannied Fusion and what appears to be, very little nannied, F150.
Sponsored