Sponsored

Is it safe to say the Bronco will be better than the Wrangler ON the road?

usarms

Big Bend
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A Hugo is better than a Wrangler and more reliable.
Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All of these people telling you yes have no idea. Nobody does.
Much in the same way if you asked me if your filet mignon will taste good, I can safely say yes, even though I have not personally tasted it. Experience in general. You'd have to really screw up an IFS to make it not better than SFA.

Hamhands

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes, I expect bronco to be much better than wrangler on the road.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
IFS is pretty much always better than SFA on real roads. IRS is pretty much always better than SRA on the real road. The only exception might be a smooth race track where a three link panhard solid rear axle (SRA) is lighter, simpler, and stronger than an IRS giving a weight and reliability advantage to a race car.

SFA/SRAs have high unsprung weight (entire axle moves on bumps) which makes the shocks and springs work harder on rough roads to stop the motion and return the tires back to the pavement. Being a solid axle, both tires are affected on bumps.

The steering is achieved through ball joints on the outer Cs of the axle tubes, a tie rod tying the knuckles together, and a drag link up to the steering box. All these joints introduce small amounts of play, especially as they wear, that create vagueness or dead zones in the steering where it's not as responsive as an IFS. SFA driving on roads with constant road crown changes can wear you out keeping the vehicle in your lane.

If you let the lateral locating link (trackbar) joints get loose or worn, it can contribute to death wobble along with other worn steering components.

The SFA basically shines on hardcore offroad. It's simple, strong, and articulates to keep all four tires on the ground. If you're not doing anything worse than forest service roads, an IFS works better in most every way.

When diesel Duramax chevys came out, the ability to program the GM engine controller made them much more reliable at higher power than the proprietary cummins engines in the dodge trucks that had been top dog. For dirt pulling, though, the chevy trucks IFS front end would fold up the tie rods under heavy pulling torque. There were aftermarket fixes made for that, but that's just another spot where the solid axle had a big, strong tie rod and drag link that didn't have an issue most of the time.

sangemini

Outer Banks
First Name
katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru forester
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just think jeep hasnt had much fire under their ass for a very very long time. They havent HAD to step up their game because wranglers sell well regardless of how stupid and easily fixable their problems are for jeep to fix. I just feel good about getting the vehicle that is going after the brand that has been free to crap all over their customers for so long.

Sponsored

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a banana

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Was debating getting a Wrangler for a while then they announce the Bronco and then that changed everything for a couple reasons:

1) I trust Ford more than FCA (my first car was an Expedition) Lasted for 250k miles

2) Engine/MPG. If I’m not mistaken, the EcoBoost (both of them) will get way better MPG than the Wrangler and is more reliable

3) Better technology and packages that are standard

*Bonus, the doors and roof are apparently easier to take off

Basically, I want a damn fun vehicle where I can drive around with no roof and doors as much as I can and just have a blast with me, my wife, and my soon to be children.

Are the reasons above safe to assume the Bronco will be better than the Wrangler in the road?
1) I had fewer problems with my two Jeeps than either my Taurus, Fusion, Fiesta, Explorer.

2) The EcoBoost should get better mileage, give or take. Engine reliability will be better with the Wrangler.

3) The Wrangler offers a better menu of options, where the Bronco requires more things in their optional packages. Some of those you may want, while others you may not. I am getting the "High" package because I can't get the additional sound deadening as an individual option. It means I am paying thousands of dollars for hundreds of dollars worth of option(s).

Your mileage may vary. I want a Bronco, so I'm buying a Bronco. Although, based on my experience with Jeep vehicles and a slew of Fords, I believe the Jeep is a better made vehicle.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s only safe to say the Bronco “could” be better on the road. Because there isn’t a single privately owned BG6 on the road. Nobody out there that can tell us what it’s like, the good and the bad.

Your point #2.. way better mpg? If way better to you is 2 mpg then yes. But no way these vehicles that have The aerodynamics of a brick rolling down the road get way too mpg. So I doubt the Bronco will get way better mpg.
I have driven one and it’s light years better than the SFA Jeep on road.

Sponsored

TurnerNHooch

Badlands
First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 YJ & all the F150s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have a 2018 JKU and I honestly have nothing great to say about it. It's capable and fun off road but It just sucks as a daily driver. I have way more fun in our 95 YJ.

We regularly drive one of the uglier routes through the Sierras to Nevada and the Wrangler has proven to be a hot mess in snow and ice. I preferred my old Grand Cherokee or the 4x4 F150. My husband thought I was nuts until he drove it through a monster storm last winter. We were all white knuckling it.

Ford has described the new Bronco as enjoyable off road as on and I'm really looking forward to that.
Sponsored