Sponsored

Is it time for Ford to build a 4Runner Competitor?

sscott87

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Random thought of the morning. Ford has pulled out of the car market in North America, short of the pony, to focus on a truck/SUV lineup. Recent years, the states have seen the trends revert back to such vehicles with the relatively lower fuel prices AIT increasing efficiency, versus some years of the opposite and trending fuel efficient smaller cars.

With the Bronco as a Wrangler-fighter, and the Sport facing off against the smaller Jeeps, is it time for Ford to consider a mid to full size body on frame SUV to compete against the likes of the 4Runner? Be it a new model, something else in the Bronco form, or a revised direction for the Explorer.

Bronco, as great as it may be and tempting as it certainly is, still leaves something to be desired for many lifestyles, families, etc. It fills a niche market with the Wrangler as something more to the “fun” side rather than practical or all-around performer. For instance, while I still struggle with the idea of NOT following through and ordering... I also know that in probably 3 years or so, it won’t fit what I want for my family in a few ways. We’ve very much considered a 4Runner or Grand Cherokee before purchasing my wife’s latest vehicle (went Mazda CX-9 as we do keep hers a little more family friendly and mine a little more “fun” and gas guzzling!).

Anyway, would love to see the Explorer go more rugged/off-road centric with a little more tow capacity and, if not a 3rd row, at least a little larger space to help fill that 4R/GC role that Ford doesn’t really have currently, while leaving the Edge to be the more crossover/softer model of the lineup.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My thought is that a bronco 4 door competes with 4Runner and Jeep.

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford did change up the Explorer in the 2020 model. They changed it from a FWD vehicle (AWD options on higher trims) to a RWD vehicle and increased the towing capacity of the vehicle.

Also my 2018 Explorer has a third row, so that is already a thing.

Personally, I do not think that we are going to see a lot of new models built on the BOF platform. People (generally) want all the creature comforts and utility of the SUV but also want something they can park and have decent fuel mileage. Trends have shown people are willing to sacrifice the space for these things.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last edited:

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They have the Explorer and I don't see them offering a 4Runner competitor that is easily lifted.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pretty sure it’s unibody (like a Grand Cherokee).
Whoops you're right I got confused when they went to a RWD based configuration in the latest gen. Still and off-road (similar to FX4) version is coming.

OP
OP
sscott87

sscott87

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Tracking the updates to the Explorer but I’d argue it’s market is still largely different than that of the 4R or GC. There’ll always be some outliers and overlap and it’s a little closer on the GC, but still not that vastly different from the Edge in its offerings. Going back to RWD and upping the capacity definitely started that direction as the two were stupid similar before, but general styling and off-road chops of the Explorer are not in the same category as those others.

Bronco will compete with the 4Runner in the off-road market and that audience, but in general they’re decently different. At least there’s a TRUE Wrangler competitor now.

Seeing how Ford has changed the Escape as the Bronco Sport is introduced, I’d love to see that similar setup between the Edge and the Explorer, and don’t see it as a significant change needed for the Explorer. Progress the next model a little further in the rugged looks, add an off road package, and market it as such.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The intention is for Bronco to be its own brand. If the sport and midsize wrangler competitor are successful, you will see many more "Broncos". A full size will surely be part of the lineup. I will be swapping to the full size as soon as its available.

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the 4R platform is tired and due for a refresh. Over use of formed plastics make it look cheap. I keep hearing Toyota has a new platform in the works. Let's hope they stick to their body on frame heritage and don't make the new 4Runner look like the dreaded crossover that so many car makers have traded their sole to..
Finally, I think Bronco is competing with the LR Defender. Lux brand of offroading. Ive had the Jeep. There is no lux feel to a jeep. Its noisy and clunky. In spite of its excellence offroad, they are still the same ole sub $20k platform. I think Ford pulls away from Jeep with the Bronco. As far as others... Want to see a real embarrassment? Take a look at the Blazer... are they trying to look like a Prius?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If Bronco is the hit we all believe it to be, expect all Ford SUVs to get more “rugged” versions.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
First off. Only women are allowed to buy 4Runners NEW. The used 4runner market is rife with male buyers, and rightly so as they are excellent vehicles, but a vagina is a hard requirement to purchase a 4runner new.
Ford Bronco Is it time for Ford to build a 4Runner Competitor? 1610031143213

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It already is. I'm switching from a4 runner to the bronco. They arent much different in size
Ford Bronco Is it time for Ford to build a 4Runner Competitor? 4F76A3EB-7857-4F6E-8D11-BC224F0482FF

OP
OP
sscott87

sscott87

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
First off. Only women are allowed to buy 4Runners NEW. The used 4runner market is rife with male buyers, and rightly so as they are excellent vehicles, but a vagina is a hard requirement to purchase a 4runner new.
Secondly, I think the 4R platform is tired and due for a refresh. Over use of formed plastics make it look cheap. I keep hearing Toyota has a new platform in the works. Let's hope they stick to their body on frame heritage and don't make the new 4Runner look like the dreaded crossover that so many car makers have traded their sole to..
Finally, I think Bronco is competing with the LR Defender. Lux brand of offroading. Ive had the Jeep. There is no lux feel to a jeep. Its noisy and clunky. In spite of its excellence offroad, they are still the same ole sub $20k platform. I think Ford pulls away from Jeep with the Bronco. As far as others... Want to see a real embarrassment? Take a look at the Blazer... are they trying to look like a Prius?
Not sure about all that vagina bit. Weird take. Is that how you feel in general about people who buy over priced vehicles new? ?

But with you on the rest. The 4Runner’s current model is a decade old, though it has had an odd spike in recent years as sales began to jump again. It isn’t Jeep level but it does have a special following. Can’t imagine Toyota changes to a car based platform but crazier things have happened.

As for Jeep, without true competitors for the Wrangler, they’ve been able to do as they want and make stupid profit because people have no other options for top off fun with off reading capabilities most don’t need. And, ya know, “it’s a Jeep.” I do believe the Bronco will be an overall hit and it’ll push Jeep to do better if they’re going to charge about the same.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 4Runner and Bronco are direct competitors. If you look at cross-shopping threads, the Bronco is cross-shopped with the Wrangler, 4Runner and even the Tacoma. The 4Runner sits right between the 2D and 4D Bronco in size.

The next generation of 4Runner will be out in a year, more or less. 4Runners offer great utility and off road features. They are quiet and comfortable. They have quite the following in the aftermarket as well. I would be driving one right now if I had a better relationship with my local dealer.
Sponsored