Sponsored

Is it time for Ford to build a 4Runner Competitor?

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
we have a 4runner, it is nice enough. 2wd model though. it is reliable, it does it's job, it tows, hauls the family, hauls the son to soccer. And it completely and utterly uninspiring to drive. (it is my wifes). I always just to take the 86 on a trip than the 4runner...even though it is questionable if the 86 Bronco will get us to where we are going. I am interested to see the next gen here soon, even though I am not in the market for the next 4runner. plan is to replace the wifes 4runner with a 4dr bronco when it is paid off. that is aside from me wanting to get a 2dr bronco for me to go along with the rest of my cars.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@tn3sport inappropriate post. You should edit or amend it.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Saw a 4 runner with a 300,000+ miles window decal. I believe him (or her if it was purchased new, apparently).

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Gotta say I find it interesting that multiple people in this thread say the bronco is a direct 4Runner competitor, but when ya try and compare them in a towing thread everyone says they aren’t competitors and it doesn’t matter that the 4Runner can tow 5k cause the wrangler is the broncos only competitor(same with defender and it’s 8000lbs tow cap).

Heck if a new 4Runner had a manual transmission option and kept at least 5k tow cap(I mean Tacoma manual trans has up to 6.5k tow cap) I’d probably get one over a bronco. But I’d love for Ford to make some variant on the 4dr bronco that could tow at least as much as a 4Runner.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
People tend to change their idea of competitor if the competitor does something better. If you like the Bronco, it competes against vehicles of lesser (whatever the Bronco does better). If a vehicle does something (important, a priority) better, then it isn't a direct competitor.

The 4Runner has always been a direct competitor of the Bronco, at least by people that are shopping for a new 4WD SUV. It doesn't removable doors or roof though, but other things it offer are better.

Sponsored

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The 4-Runner is about to undergo a complete refresh. I would expect to see the reveal from this in March/April of this year.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, I tried to order a 4Runner just before the Bronco reservations, but had an issue with the local dealer. Then I put the reservation in on the Bronco. I'll buy a 4Runner though if the next-gen comes out and it's a nice update.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford already makes a 4Runner competitor, it just doesn’t sell it in the USA.
2020-Ford-Everest-Sport-Australia-spec-6.jpg

Here is a rendering of what the next gen Everest will look like, which is based off of the next gen ranger.
2022-Ford-Everest-Exterior.jpg

they will also offer a more rugged explorer this year with the timberline trim.
Nd9GcQBipoIFy-XbCOoCcupJsTlr8yawskl28fFkg&usqp=CAU.jpg

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the 4R platform is tired and due for a refresh. Over use of formed plastics make it look cheap. I keep hearing Toyota has a new platform in the works. Let's hope they stick to their body on frame heritage and don't make the new 4Runner look like the dreaded crossover that so many car makers have traded their sole to..
Finally, I think Bronco is competing with the LR Defender. Lux brand of offroading. Ive had the Jeep. There is no lux feel to a jeep. Its noisy and clunky. In spite of its excellence offroad, they are still the same ole sub $20k platform. I think Ford pulls away from Jeep with the Bronco. As far as others... Want to see a real embarrassment? Take a look at the Blazer... are they trying to look like a Prius?
Yes a new 4Runner is on the horizon and will still be body on frame. There is a reason 4Runner has dominated for so many years, quality. I’m waiting to see if Toyota will bring the FJ back to the states once they see how Bronco does.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gotta say I find it interesting that multiple people in this thread say the bronco is a direct 4Runner competitor, but when ya try and compare them in a towing thread everyone says they aren’t competitors and it doesn’t matter that the 4Runner can tow 5k cause the wrangler is the broncos only competitor(same with defender and it’s 8000lbs tow cap).

Heck if a new 4Runner had a manual transmission option and kept at least 5k tow cap(I mean Tacoma manual trans has up to 6.5k tow cap) I’d probably get one over a bronco. But I’d love for Ford to make some variant on the 4dr bronco that could tow at least as much as a 4Runner.
I do count the 4runner as a competitor to the Bronco, and there are, in my areas, more 4runner customers to take away from than wrangler, but not by much. The towing cap being lower on the Bronco is a concern in my book, we do tow 3-4k rarely with the 4runner, normally only 1500-2500 or so though. and I would say that won't be a big deal for MOST 4runner owners who only tow johnny's soccer gear (which we do as well tbh...)

needless to say, I am thus far disappointed in the utility numbers for the Bronco, as far as towing, GVWR, etc. it is great for a single purpose, but few can afford to buy a vehicle for only one thing other than commuting.

As of right now, I feel that it is a jack of all trades, master of none, but even not a very good jack in a number of places. Probably the only area where the Bronco is top dog in it's weight class as it sits now, will be high speed off road, but even there there are a number of other dealer floor vehicles that can compete or surpass the Bronco. Raptor and TRX come to mind, albeit bigger, and a lot more expensive. For rocks and mud, it still would appear that the Wrangler is the better option. For a family SUV that is offroad capable, it's a toss up between Bronco and 4runner, but for a family camper, the 4runner wins due to tow and GVWR. The bronco will beat 4runner and jeep in mileage and power (excepting the 77k hemi jeep...but that's a different league, up with the raptor and TRX).

Do not get me wrong, I still plan to replace our 4runner with a Bronco, I would still take the 2dr Bronco over a jeep, but I feel that is mostly due to brand loyalty, and feeling that jeep quality is pretty poor, and 4runner innovation is as well (but it has been good quality, and reliable, my wife treats it like shit and it doesn't seem to mind).

I imagine that right now, as it sits, in order for me to get the 2dr, there will need to be a troller SFA conversion available for under 6500/7k or so, and a rear suspension 4-link kit, both DIO or Ford Performance and warrantied (not waiting 5 years to make it capable)

Reactions: Jdc

Sponsored

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Proof is in the pudding. I'm replacing my 4Runner Trd Pro and Rubicon with a couple of Broncos. If Ford didn't bring back the Bronco I'd buy another Trd Pro and Rubicon. Both have served me well.
Ford Bronco Is it time for Ford to build a 4Runner Competitor? 20200807_192330

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do count the 4runner as a competitor to the Bronco, and there are, in my areas, more 4runner customers to take away from than wrangler, but not by much. The towing cap being lower on the Bronco is a concern in my book, we do tow 3-4k rarely with the 4runner, normally only 1500-2500 or so though. and I would say that won't be a big deal for MOST 4runner owners who only tow johnny's soccer gear (which we do as well tbh...)

needless to say, I am thus far disappointed in the utility numbers for the Bronco, as far as towing, GVWR, etc. it is great for a single purpose, but few can afford to buy a vehicle for only one thing other than commuting.

As of right now, I feel that it is a jack of all trades, master of none, but even not a very good jack in a number of places. Probably the only area where the Bronco is top dog in it's weight class as it sits now, will be high speed off road, but even there there are a number of other dealer floor vehicles that can compete or surpass the Bronco. Raptor and TRX come to mind, albeit bigger, and a lot more expensive. For rocks and mud, it still would appear that the Wrangler is the better option. For a family SUV that is offroad capable, it's a toss up between Bronco and 4runner, but for a family camper, the 4runner wins due to tow and GVWR. The bronco will beat 4runner and jeep in mileage and power (excepting the 77k hemi jeep...but that's a different league, up with the raptor and TRX).

Do not get me wrong, I still plan to replace our 4runner with a Bronco, I would still take the 2dr Bronco over a jeep, but I feel that is mostly due to brand loyalty, and feeling that jeep quality is pretty poor, and 4runner innovation is as well (but it has been good quality, and reliable, my wife treats it like shit and it doesn't seem to mind).

I imagine that right now, as it sits, in order for me to get the 2dr, there will need to be a troller SFA conversion available for under 6500/7k or so, and a rear suspension 4-link kit, both DIO or Ford Performance and warrantied (not waiting 5 years to make it capable)
I definitely like what the Bronco has to offer but I've thought about some of these exact same points when comparing it to the 4Runner. I've also thought about getting/towing a small trailer.
Sponsored