Sponsored

Is it true you cannot bolt on a Ford modular steel bumper to replace a stock plastic bumper on a 2021 Base Bronco?

gamann

Base
First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I read this somewhere and it referenced an incompatibility or fit issues when upgrading at home (it’s not an issue to order the upgrade before delivery). The Base, of course, does not have a front camera or sensors). Can someone with knowledge confirm?
Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That doesn’t seem correct

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

its not impossible, but a huge pain in the butt. There's a member on here that already did it and documented as such... also you can only add it to the build before it has a vin, not before its delivered. Once it has a vin its set in stone basicially.
so if he bought the mod bumper secondhand ..he could get to bolt up, but it’s not easy

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

so if he bought the mod bumper secondhand ..he could get to bolt up, but it’s not easy
its not as easy at a "bolt on" part, there's cutting involved, I believe the thread I pasted shows the tow hooks are welded in and they had to cut some other things.
It's probably better to just buy an aftermarket one after the fact.

Sponsored

arniej92

First Edition
First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

We just did this for a customer at our shop. He also wanted to replace the plastic skid plate and add full body plates.
We did have to cut the tow hooks off the bracket that holds the skid plate so we could fit the metal skid plate. We did install every part that a Bronco with a modular bumper has. Not the route to go. It was expensive. Worse thing for him was he called a dealer and said he wanted a metal bumper, they sent him the bumper and the end covers, nothing else, no reinforcements, no bolts no tow hooks nothing before he called us. We ended up having to buy another takeoff to make his work because most of the parts are backordered and we are still missing the cover plates around the new tow hooks.
Like someone mentioned, probably better off buying an aftermarket one or of course adding the option beforehand. But the customer was already in and thats what he wanted so we made it work. Ended up adding ZRoadZ lights to it and wiring 4 lights to the fog light button and the amber ones to an Aux switch.
I've seen some takeoffs for sale around here. That would be the route to go, just make sure it has the tow hooks and the reinforcements and all those black screws that you see all over the bumper (if ya want the ones that say bronco on them lol). Even the darn parking sensor clips arent the same.
Happy to help if you do it. DM me.

OP
OP
gamann

gamann

Base
First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, to clarify, if I buy a “complete” Ford Bronco modular bumper, and am fine with not replacing the tow hooks, metal skid plates or the body plates, then I should be able to do the conversion without any major cutting or modifications?

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So, to clarify, if I buy a “complete” Ford Bronco modular bumper, and am fine with not replacing the tow hooks, metal skid plates or the body plates, then I should be able to do the conversion without any major cutting or modifications?
Ford Bronco Is it true you cannot bolt on a Ford modular steel bumper to replace a stock plastic bumper on a 2021 Base Bronco? batpalm

Could be wrong, but going off the quoted member post as well as the other member that chimed in about doing it, again, its not a simple bolt on regardless....

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

From what I understand, it can be done. You will need to either cut off the tow hooks or replace the cooler bracket that has the tow hooks welded to it or replace with the non-tow hook bracket. I haven't found the model number for the non-tow hook cooler bracket and people have said it’s on backorder. Some aftermarket bumpers are being offered with non-tow hook brackets or say to just cut it off. I haven't needed it yet, so I have not looked into it any further. I hope this helps.

Watch some bumper replacement videos on YouTube for better understanding.

Yes, the tow hooks should be bolt on but no their welded to a cooler bracket. Dumb.

Last edited:

arniej92

First Edition
First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm sorry if I wasnt clear. You gotta either get a new bracket or cut the tow hooks. Then you can bolt on everything else. If you have sensors you'll have to modify those clips as well. Ford thought it would be a good idea to make different clips for those. Ugh.
The sensor harness does work so no major mods. And if you had fog lights, make sure you leave that lead out so you can connect new ones.

Here's the part number for those brackets:
MB3Z6G079A
MB3Z6G079B
But like they said they are backordered.

Sponsored
OP
OP
gamann

gamann

Base
First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you. That was the specifics I was looking for.

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm sorry if I wasnt clear. You gotta either get a new bracket or cut the tow hooks. Then you can bolt on everything else. If you have sensors you'll have to modify those clips as well. Ford thought it would be a good idea to make different clips for those. Ugh.
The sensor harness does work so no major mods. And if you had fog lights, make sure you leave that lead out so you can connect new ones.

MB3Z6G079A
MB3Z6G079B
Thanks for information. I have dealer replacing the bumper on Outer Banks as part of deal. They didn't mention anything about the tow hooks or brackets and assume they likely don't realize it yet. Supposed to get it in shortly. So to confirm I need the brackets you linked and also different tow hooks? Do the tow hooks connect to the new brackets I assume? So if you simply cut the old onces you won't have tow hooks? Appreciate the help.

arniej92

First Edition
First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks for information. I have dealer replacing the bumper on Outer Banks as part of deal. They didn't mention anything about the tow hooks or brackets and assume they likely don't realize it yet. Supposed to get it in shortly. So to confirm I need the brackets you linked and also different tow hooks? Do the tow hooks connect to the new brackets I assume? So if you simply cut the old onces you won't have tow hooks? Appreciate the help.
So the tow hooks for the modular steel bumper go somewhere else, attached to the frame on the front of the car. If you only get the bumper by itself it wont work. You need to new tow hooks and all the brackets. I am sure their body shop would know all this, we all look at the same diagrams. And if you have sensors that changes things as well. If they dont know they will figure it out once they try to change them. Sounds though that they are doing it as part of your deal so I am sure that it will be fine. Call me if needed, I can help ya. 713-253-0349

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

MB3Z6G079A
MB3Z6G079B
I guess they’re not on backorder anymore because I just received my non-towhook condenser brackets.
Ford Bronco Is it true you cannot bolt on a Ford modular steel bumper to replace a stock plastic bumper on a 2021 Base Bronco? 9E001E02-B03F-40DE-89FF-C064AF9DCC33

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Watching this for later, would love to swap out to the mod bumper down the line at some point (got my VIN so a little late to option it now), will try and collect parts from take-offs as people go to aftermarket bumpers.

ETA: @arniej92 just realized y'all are right down the road from me, I may enlist your help when the time comes
Sponsored