Sponsored

Is it true you cannot bolt on a Ford modular steel bumper to replace a stock plastic bumper on a 2021 Base Bronco?

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We just did this for a customer at our shop. He also wanted to replace the plastic skid plate and add full body plates.
We did have to cut the tow hooks off the bracket that holds the skid plate so we could fit the metal skid plate. We did install every part that a Bronco with a modular bumper has. Not the route to go. It was expensive. Worse thing for him was he called a dealer and said he wanted a metal bumper, they sent him the bumper and the end covers, nothing else, no reinforcements, no bolts no tow hooks nothing before he called us. We ended up having to buy another takeoff to make his work because most of the parts are backordered and we are still missing the cover plates around the new tow hooks.
Like someone mentioned, probably better off buying an aftermarket one or of course adding the option beforehand. But the customer was already in and thats what he wanted so we made it work. Ended up adding ZRoadZ lights to it and wiring 4 lights to the fog light button and the amber ones to an Aux switch.
I've seen some takeoffs for sale around here. That would be the route to go, just make sure it has the tow hooks and the reinforcements and all those black screws that you see all over the bumper (if ya want the ones that say bronco on them lol). Even the darn parking sensor clips arent the same.
Happy to help if you do it. DM me.
My neighbor and I are talking about trading his modular and my capable. Would this also be a pain in the ass?
Sponsored

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My neighbor and I are talking about trading his modular and my capable. Would this also be a pain in the ass?
That’s a perfect scenario. You both have all of the parts in one place.

arniej92

First Edition
First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

That’s a perfect scenario. You both have all of the parts in one place.
Exactly, if you guys trade that would work. No pain on that one.
I personally have not seen the capable one yet so I'm not entirely sure but a straight swap you guys will be fine.

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So the tow hooks for the modular steel bumper go somewhere else, attached to the frame on the front of the car. If you only get the bumper by itself it wont work. You need to new tow hooks and all the brackets. I am sure their body shop would know all this, we all look at the same diagrams. And if you have sensors that changes things as well. If they dont know they will figure it out once they try to change them. Sounds though that they are doing it as part of your deal so I am sure that it will be fine. Call me if needed, I can help ya. 713-253-0349
I will take you up on your offer but didn’t want to simply call out of the blue. The dealer had no idea what they are doing and simply ordered a replacement bracket for the current plastic bumper (after I drove 120 miles for appointment, got my $’s reimbursed and will do myself). I have the tow hooks since they wanted to much for them. I also know the bracket part numbers from earlier posts. Do I just need M2DZ-17757-DA as I have sensors or are there additional part numbers I will need? Thanks again for the help.

Jmiller94

Base
First Name
Jaycee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Base
Watching this for later, would love to swap out to the mod bumper down the line at some point (got my VIN so a little late to option it now), will try and collect parts from take-offs as people go to aftermarket bumpers.

ETA: @arniej92 just realized y'all are right down the road from me, I may enlist your help when the time comes
Same!

Sponsored

arniej92

First Edition
First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I will take you up on your offer but didn’t want to simply call out of the blue. The dealer had no idea what they are doing and simply ordered a replacement bracket for the current plastic bumper (after I drove 120 miles for appointment, got my $’s reimbursed and will do myself). I have the tow hooks since they wanted to much for them. I also know the bracket part numbers from earlier posts. Do I just need M2DZ-17757-DA as I have sensors or are there additional part numbers I will need? Thanks again for the help.
No problem to call. Thats what we do here, body shop and we have opened a Bronco only custom shop. We love all stuff new Broncos!
Anyways, this part M2DZ-17757-DA is the actual bumper. You need more stuff, end caps, brackets and you have the tow hooks.

If you look here:

Front bumper. Bumper & components.. ford | Northside Ford, San Antonio TX (nsford.com)

You will need pretty much everything except 10-14 and 18 (bull bar) and you can reuse the bolts for the actual bumper. This is to do it how it comes from the factory. I know someone actually trimmed the plastic bumper bracket and made it work, and you could get away with not putting some of the reinforcements I suppose. There's a thread somewhere. And like I mentioned the sensor brackets are not the same so you have to trim those a little, easy though. I do love this bumper and they are coming out with some cool stuff for it, but this route is more expensive than an aftermarket bumper.

arniej92

First Edition
First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Let me know. We can help. We actually have one here (a no sensor one) and most of the parts it needs, even the tow hooks.

Jmiller94

Base
First Name
Jaycee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Base
Let me know. We can help. We actually have one here (a no sensor one) and most of the parts it needs, even the tow hooks.
sweet! Where are you located exactly? My bronco is a base so from my understanding I don’t need sensors (correct me if I’m wrong). It was scheduled for production yesterday.
So you also have the brackets needed to swap from standard as well?

arniej92

First Edition
First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

sweet! Where are you located exactly? My bronco is a base so from my understanding I don’t need sensors (correct me if I’m wrong). It was scheduled for production yesterday.
So you also have the brackets needed to swap from standard as well?
Got everything except a couple covers (not needed to do install) that are backordered. Yah you dont need sensors.
We are near Fondren and Richmond inside Jammers Auto Body.
I think I mentioned before, better to buy a takeoff with everything on it from someone on ebay or these forums. Way cheaper!! Anyways, happy to help with this or anything bronco related. We can do lifts, wheels, etc, anything.

jp9901

Black Diamond
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ford bronco black diamond, 02 dodge dakota slt
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do you happen to know if you can add the sensors if you dont have them arnie? mostly just curious since the front sensors show up on my screen but don't seem to work.

I currently have the "Capable" bumper, doesn't seem to have much that makes it capable though other than being steel instead of plastic.

Sponsored

arniej92

First Edition
First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Do you happen to know if you can add the sensors if you dont have them arnie? mostly just curious since the front sensors show up on my screen but don't seem to work.

I currently have the "Capable" bumper, doesn't seem to have much that makes it capable though other than being steel instead of plastic.
Hmm. They show up on your screen? I'm not real sure about this. What package did you get? Theres a harness down there that has the fog light wires and the sensor wires. I supposed those wires could be there, I would have to look, if they are there I'm sure theres a way to add them. Not something we have done with the Broncos yet.

I havent seen a capable bumper yet, looks better than the plastic one for sure and has those recovery hooks up top. We ordered a '22 thats allegedly being built next week that will have it.

jp9901

Black Diamond
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ford bronco black diamond, 02 dodge dakota slt
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hmm. They show up on your screen? I'm not real sure about this. What package did you get? Theres a harness down there that has the fog light wires and the sensor wires. I supposed those wires could be there, I would have to look, if they are there I'm sure theres a way to add them. Not something we have done with the Broncos yet.

I havent seen a capable bumper yet, looks better than the plastic one for sure and has those recovery hooks up top. We ordered a '22 thats allegedly being built next week that will have it.
I may be misinterpreting what I am seeing. Its likely just the same screen for everyone. I have a 22 black diamond mid package. From what I understood the sensors were only on the high package. I would be interested in adding them, assuming its not a huge hassle. I guess I can crawl under there and look for any "extra" harness that is floating around.

My main problem with the "capable" one is that there aren't any holes in it for hoops, or lights, etc. I guess the fog lights make up for that a little bit though.

I did see the post about needing to cut/replace the hooks though, so that may be a little hurdle.

Jmiller94

Base
First Name
Jaycee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Base
Got everything except a couple covers (not needed to do install) that are backordered. Yah you dont need sensors.
We are near Fondren and Richmond inside Jammers Auto Body.
I think I mentioned before, better to buy a takeoff with everything on it from someone on ebay or these forums. Way cheaper!! Anyways, happy to help with this or anything bronco related. We can do lifts, wheels, etc, anything.
Sweet! What do you want for the bumper and install? Or just the bumper?
Also any idea how much the covers are since I would have to buy those.

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No problem to call. Thats what we do here, body shop and we have opened a Bronco only custom shop. We love all stuff new Broncos!
Anyways, this part M2DZ-17757-DA is the actual bumper. You need more stuff, end caps, brackets and you have the tow hooks.

If you look here:

Front bumper. Bumper & components.. ford | Northside Ford, San Antonio TX (nsford.com)

You will need pretty much everything except 10-14 and 18 (bull bar) and you can reuse the bolts for the actual bumper. This is to do it how it comes from the factory. I know someone actually trimmed the plastic bumper bracket and made it work, and you could get away with not putting some of the reinforcements I suppose. There's a thread somewhere. And like I mentioned the sensor brackets are not the same so you have to trim those a little, easy though. I do love this bumper and they are coming out with some cool stuff for it, but this route is more expensive than an aftermarket bumper.
I knew you were going to say that, darn it. Thanks again. The small town Ford parts department definitely had no idea what they were doing. The Bronco is the wife’s and she isn’t a fan of ”out there“ bumpers so will likely still order if can’t find any on the classifieds in next couple of weeks.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I knew you were going to say that, darn it. Thanks again. The small town Ford parts department definitely had no idea what they were doing. The Bronco is the wife’s and she isn’t a fan of ”out there“ bumpers so will likely still order if can’t find any on the classifieds in next couple of weeks.
One option, if you have a decent sized nearby dealership who has been sprucing up ordered vehicles that customers have walked away from with lifts/wheels/tires/bumpers/lights before putting them on the lot (a regular practice around here at least), is to see if they have any take-offs they'd be willing to part with.
Sponsored