Sponsored

Is Locking Rear Differential something I want?

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi, sorry. Totally noob question here.

Is locking rear differential something I should want?

If anything, I will drive this Bronco in snow more than anything else. I'd like to get into off roading, but even that will at best be only a few days per year.

Also is the locking diff auto on the Bronco? I'd assume yes. I've read so much online at this point I'm upside down.

I'm looking at the Big Bend auto. So adding it isn't expensive. Just want to make sure it's something that makes sense.

Thanks ahead of time!
Sponsored

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s not automatic, you have to engage and disengage. If you’re driving primarily in snow, it’s helpful but you don’t want to lock it in all the time, as it can grab in snow when you don’t exactly want it to. It’s excellent for wheeling. If nothing more, if the cost is inconsequential to you, add it. It’ll help the resale if nothing more.

OP
OP
PowPow

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’s not automatic, you have to engage and disengage. If you’re driving primarily in snow, it’s helpful but you don’t want to lock it in all the time, as it can grab in snow when you don’t exactly want it to. It’s excellent for wheeling. If nothing more, if the cost is inconsequential to you, add it. It’ll help the resale if nothing more.
Ah. How is it engaged?

I also own a 2018 Tahoe, and saw on that it's funny automatic, so just assumed that was normal? But have also seen other sites saying you need to engage it. So good to know the bronco is manual. But I guess my next question is how.

Thx!

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Push button on the dash above the radio, they refer to them as “Hero switches”. E lockers are very simple to operate.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PowPow

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Push button on the dash above the radio, they refer to them as “Hero switches”. E lockers are very simple to operate.
Ah. I was guessing maybe the GOAT mode buttons were going to handle that.

Super helpful, definitely helps me decide! (Yes is the decision ?)

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A locking differential is a great get-unstuck - or, improvement of mobility so you don't get stuck - device. You could have one tire on rollers while on a hill and you'd still drive up the hill. With that said, it comes with certain limitations.

Because it forbids differentiation (the effect of having one tire speed up while the other slows down in a turn), it should not be used in general driving conditions. If it was used on a dry road, it could lead to fatigue or breakage of drivetrain components. It needs to be used only when the natural need for the tires to change speed can readily relieve itself with a little wheel slip or skidding.

Lockers also impact vehicle handling, making it much harder to steer. To this end, Ford has tried to protect their own butts by making it automatically unlock above 20 or 25 mph. It is still a manually triggered function but it will undo itself if needed. So their use is pretty much relegated to off-road or under really bad weather conditions (and even then, use caution).

So, lockers are great for off-road. They're helpful in the snow, within reason. But they don't do anything for you in daily use. To that end, a good limited slip is probably more beneficial in the 90% scenario for most drivers. Unfortunately, Ford no longer puts LSDs in trucks, since they figure the brake based traction control is enough.

But still, if a locker is available - especially if you don't have to buy a fancy package to get it - think of it as an insurance policy. You might never need, but you'll wish you had when you do.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah. I was guessing maybe the GOAT mode buttons were going to handle that.

Super helpful, definitely helps me decide! (Yes is the decision ?)
Some goat modes will also enable the e-locker. Note that they are disabled automatically above ~20mph. At higher speeds, the traction control computer uses selective wheel braking to control wheel spin and such.

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And here I was thinking that the answer was yes. I mean it's just a button push, you're not getting out to lock/unlock the hubs or anything. :)

Some goat modes will also enable the e-locker. Note that they are disabled automatically above ~20mph. At higher speeds, the traction control computer uses selective wheel braking to control wheel spin and such.
Interesting. Didn't know this about GOAT. So I guess "yes" is the answer then.

OP
OP
PowPow

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thx everyone. Super helpful!

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it even possible to engage the locker on the Bronco when in 2H (the mode most people will be in on the street most of the time)? Not that I want to, just asking as unless it's possible it really lessens the chance of "bad things" happening when operating a locked diff on a dry road. One would (normally) have to make the conscious decision to change the transfer case setting and THEN engage the locker. And if someone does that and drives on dry asphalt at speed, well, you can't fix stupid.

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wondering if lockers (front & rear or rear only?) make sense for 4.3 manual Big Bend which will not be driven off-road and will be riding on stock 32's - maybe at most 33's in the future. I know it will help the retail value (which may be the only reason I would even consider). But wondering if it will change for the better or for the worse the drive-ability, or how it would change if at all the manual 4:46 final drive ratio, etc. Not too much concerned about slight decrease in mileage if even applicable or even slight loss of top end speed if torque at lower end is increased, just don't want to order Bronco and regret later not getting something most others appear to be wanting for sure.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wondering if lockers (front & rear or rear only?) make sense for 4.3 manual Big Bend which will not be driven off-road and will be riding on stock 32's - maybe at most 33's in the future. I know it will help the retail value (which may be the only reason I would even consider). But wondering if it will change for the better or for the worse the drive-ability, or how it would change if at all the manual 4:46 final drive ratio, etc. Not too much concerned about slight decrease in mileage if even applicable or even slight loss of top end speed if torque at lower end is increased, just don't want to order Bronco and regret later not getting something most others appear to be wanting for sure.
My take is you should option for what suits you, not what some other guy might want years from now. At the end of the day, you have to live with it, and want to enjoy it. For the driving case you've outlined, I don't think that lockers are of that much benefit. Assuming that you're going to use for more general normal street use, you're probably better off with a good limited slip diff (or 2), but it would have to be an aftermarket install. Short of that, you'll do just on the street relying on the standard traction control system.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If I was to get a BB over base it would be for the locker. Yes, get it.