Sponsored

Is Locking Rear Differential something I want?

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My take is you should option for what suits you, not what some other guy might want years from now. At the end of the day, you have to live with it, and want to enjoy it. For the driving case you've outlined, I don't think that lockers are of that much benefit. Assuming that you're going to use for more general normal street use, you're probably better off with a good limited slip diff (or 2), but it would have to be an aftermarket install. Short of that, you'll do just on the street relying on the standard traction control system.
And other than the additional cost, would there be any downside to getting the rear (and/or front) locker for street use?
Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Different world. Limited slip is a mechanical system where if one wheel is spinning there is a centrifugal clutch that engages the other axle, thus the other wheel. The electronic locks are another animal all together. No experience with the electronic stuff, apparently it works differently, but the end result is apparently the same...

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And other than the additional cost, would there be any downside to getting the rear (and/or front) locker for street use?
When they are not locked they don't do anything. They are 100% open, so if you never touch the button you will never know they are there, which is street use!

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
When they are not locked they don't do anything. They are 100% open, so if you never touch the button you will never know they are there, which is street use!
So they won't change the ratio of the manual Bronco when they are open - that is good to know. I may just get the rear locker (not the front locker) for the resale value of the Bronco.

WarDamnBravos

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So they won't change the ratio of the manual Bronco when they are open - that is good to know. I may just get the rear locker (not the front locker) for the resale value of the Bronco.
Save the money bud. The vehicle is off-road capable from the start. You’re just fine without it.

Sponsored

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Save the money bud. The vehicle is off-road capable from the start. You’re just fine without it.
Unless B & P has a glitch for the manual 4-door Big Bend, it added the rear locker at no additional cost (and I think there is a glitch as it previously added an additional approx $500 cost)

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi, sorry. Totally noob question here.

Is locking rear differential something I should want?

If anything, I will drive this Bronco in snow more than anything else. I'd like to get into off roading, but even that will at best be only a few days per year.

Also is the locking diff auto on the Bronco? I'd assume yes. I've read so much online at this point I'm upside down.

I'm looking at the Big Bend auto. So adding it isn't expensive. Just want to make sure it's something that makes sense.

Thanks ahead of time!
Rear diff lock is a must have option in lower trims, but consider it an off-road only function. I wouldn't engage on the road (snowy or otherwise) unless I was stuck because one rear wheel was slipping. Unless you are a serious off-roader, the rear lock should get you through most off-road adventures. Definitely worth the $$.

Cooknn

Badlands
First Name
David Cook
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Back in the early ‘80’s I had a Toyota 4X4 Pickup. Whenever I went off road I would lock the hubs on the front wheels. I always assumed I wasn’t in four wheel drive unless I did. It’s been so long. Maybe a foundational misunderstanding on my part?

ohvrider

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi, sorry. Totally noob question here.

Is locking rear differential something I should want?

If anything, I will drive this Bronco in snow more than anything else. I'd like to get into off roading, but even that will at best be only a few days per year.

Also is the locking diff auto on the Bronco? I'd assume yes. I've read so much online at this point I'm upside down.

I'm looking at the Big Bend auto. So adding it isn't expensive. Just want to make sure it's something that makes sense.

Thanks ahead of time!
IMO a locking rear is #1 priority for off-road. I'd even put one in a 2wd pickup if I was using it to carry dirt bikes etc. for muddy roads or parking lots.
Tires and lift come after traction. Tires to help improve traction and lift might make it look better but I value lockers higher.

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Ranger XLT, Can Am Ryker
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The gear ratio on the locking differential is 4.27 and the ratio on the open diff is 3.73, so yes, there is a difference.

As said in other threads, the higher 4.27 gearing will work better with larger diameter tires, if you decide to upgrade.

If you stick with the stock diameter tires you should see quicker acceleration with the 4.27 gearing but you will lose some top end speed at highway speeds. That will depend on the gearing of your transmission matched with the 4.27 gearings.

My opinion is get the locking diff if you can afford the upgrade.

Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Locker ONLY Locks both Right Side & Left Side Axles(wheels)together. It Does Not change the Ring & Pinion's Gear Ratio. (If the axle has a 4.27:1 when the locker isn't locked, it will still be 4.27:1 when the locker is locked)

Now... the Locker Option might only be available for certain Gear Ratios, but a locker will not change what the Gear Ratio is.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Back in the early ‘80’s I had a Toyota 4X4 Pickup. Whenever I went off road I would lock the hubs on the front wheels. I always assumed I wasn’t in four wheel drive unless I did. It’s been so long. Maybe a foundational misunderstanding on my part?
I had an 85 Yota pickup with manual locking hubs and you had to lock them to be in 4wd. Locking hubs lock wheel to axle. Different than differential lockers

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The gear ratio on the locking differential is 4.27 and the ratio on the open diff is 3.73, so yes, there is a difference.

As said in other threads, the higher 4.27 gearing will work better with larger diameter tires, if you decide to upgrade.

If you stick with the stock diameter tires you should see quicker acceleration with the 4.27 gearing but you will lose some top end speed at highway speeds. That will depend on the gearing of your transmission matched with the 4.27 gearings.

My opinion is get the locking diff if you can afford the upgrade.
How much of an effect will the 4.27 ratio impact top speed and mpg?

I'm planning on mostly on-road driving, so if the mpg and top speed impacts are large enough, it could outweigh the value to me or others with the same intended use as me.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I didn't even know you could get a Bronco without a rear locker. Yes you need it. Buying a Bronco without at least a rear locker is like buying a warm beer... literally no point. Not to mention the resale value will be crap.

Unless you plan on doing an aftermarket one? Without lockers, just go buy a Sport.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Living in a snowy area, locking diff would be a plus when stuck in snow. 4x4 helps as well, but sometimes you have both right tires on ice (like if you parked on a street) where locking diff would be beneficial.

Plus there's something cool about a switch depicting a powertrain lock
Sponsored