Sponsored

Is Locking Rear Differential something I want?

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Ranger XLT, Can Am Ryker
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How much of an effect will the 4.27 ratio impact top speed and mpg?

I'm planning on mostly on-road driving, so if the mpg and top speed impacts are large enough, it could outweigh the value to me or others with the same intended use as me.
The 8th, 9th, and 10th gears are all lower than 1 to 1 so you would be using those on the highway most likely.

I doubt you would notice much unless you plan on high speed highway driving...only then should you notice engine rpms being higher than if you were to use the open 3.73 geared diff.

https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ford_10r80_10-speed_automatic_transmission.shtml
Sponsored

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"Need" is a relative thing. Most buyers never really "need" a locker. But it is certainly handy off-road. If the choice was simply between having the basic open diff or choosing the locker, then there's no good reason not to get it. As noted above, when it isn't engaged, it doesn't do anything, it is essentially just an open diff in that mode.

That aside, that also means that in general street use, it doesn't do anything. It isn't something that has any practical value in daily driving. That's where the discussion of an LSD comes into the equation (though no, they aren't typically a centrifugal clutch). A typical LSD will help you every time the weather is bad of the surface is loose/uneven. If that becomes a 3rd choice - cost aside - it is actually the better solution for the average buyer. But Ford doesn't offer one from the factory, so installing one aftermarket is a not-insignificant expense.

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The Locker ONLY Locks both Right Side & Left Side Axles(wheels)together. It Does Not change the Ring & Pinion's Gear Ratio. (If the axle has a 4.27:1 when the locker isn't locked, it will still be 4.27:1 when the locker is locked)

Now... the Locker Option might only be available for certain Gear Ratios, but a locker will not change what the Gear Ratio is.
Since I am looking at a MANUAL Big Bend isn't the "Available Final Drive Ratio" 4.46 as shown under the Ford "Preliminary Specifications" - and not 3.73 or 4.27? But not sure if MANUAL equipped with a Rear Axle Locker the ratio never changes from 4.46 - whether Rear Axle Locker is engaged or not.

And if an AUTOMATIC Big Bend, doesn't the "Available Final Drive Ratio" change from 3.73 to 4.27 when going from "Open Style" to "Locking", as it appears to show under the Ford "Preliminary Specifications"? But not sure with the AUTOMATIC if there is a change in ratio from 3.73 to 4.27 ONLY WHEN the Rear Axle Locker is engaged, or if equipped with a Rear Axle Locker the ratio is ALWAYS 4.27.

:unsure:

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Ride Em Bronco ..... I believe that you're thinking too much and I believe that we're off into the weeds so to speak. So.... let me make a few statements....

Not talking about what the choices are for the Bronco here. A Locker in any axle will only Lock both right & left axles together when activated and it doesn't nothing to change the gear ratio.

Now, as for the Bronco. Ford offers Non-Locking Axles with certain Gear Ratios and they offer Locker Axle with certain Gear Ratios.

The decision to get an axle with or without a locker is a Decision unto itself. The gear ratio wouldn't be a factor.

Once the Locker or No Locker decision has been made, then the decision about which gear ratio you want is next and you'll only be able to choose a gear ratio that is offered that's available for your Locker or Non-Locker that you decide on earlier and what is offered for the transmission that you're wanting.

Yep, clear as mud. LOL!

So....
1)Which Transmission?
2)Locker...(Yes or No)
3)Choose Axle Ratio for what's available per your to prior choices.

Hopefully I haven't confused you more.

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@Ride Em Bronco ..... I believe that you're thinking too much and I believe that we're off into the weeds so to speak. So.... let me make a few statements....

Not talking about what the choices are for the Bronco here. A Locker in any axle will only Lock both right & left axles together when activated and it doesn't nothing to change the gear ratio.

Now, as for the Bronco. Ford offers Non-Locking Axles with certain Gear Ratios and they offer Locker Axle with certain Gear Ratios.

The decision to get an axle with or without a locker is a Decision unto itself. The gear ratio wouldn't be a factor.

Once the Locker or No Locker decision has been made, then the decision about which gear ratio you want is next and you'll only be able to choose a gear ratio that is offered that's available for your Locker or Non-Locker that you decide on earlier and what is offered for the transmission that you're wanting.

Yep, clear as mud. LOL!

So....
1)Which Transmission?
2)Locker...(Yes or No)

Yep, clear as mud. LOL!

So....
1)Which Transmission?
2)Locker...(Yes or No)

The one thing I know for sure is that I want the Manual Transmission. As to whether I want a locker or not is what I am considering now . But as for what is available for the Manual, I am only seeing ONE Axle Ratio available - the 4.46 - whether the locker is chosen or not. Is that right?

But even though I will not be getting the Automatic Transmission, I was trying to understand the Axle Ratio options for it. It appears to me that if no locker is desired, then I am seeing the 3.73 Open Style Rear Axle Ratio as the only available one. And if the locker is desired, then I am seeing the 4.27 Locking Rear Axle Ratio as the only available one. Is that right?

And it appears to me that the Sasquash option (which I will not be choosing) gets the locker and the 4.7 Electronic-Locking Front and Rear Axle Ratio, for both the Automatic Transmission and (in the future) the Manual Transmission. Is that right?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The one thing I know for sure is that I want the Manual Transmission. As to whether I want a locker or not is what I am considering now . But as for what is available for the Manual, I am only seeing ONE Axle Ratio available - the 4.46 - whether the locker is chosen or not. Is that right?

But even though I will not be getting the Automatic Transmission, I was trying to understand the Axle Ratio options for it. It appears to me that if no locker is desired, then I am seeing the 3.73 Open Style Rear Axle Ratio as the only available one. And if the locker is desired, then I am seeing the 4.27 Locking Rear Axle Ratio as the only available one. Is that right?

And it appears to me that the Sasquash option (which will be available in the future with the Manual but which I will not be getting anyway) gets the locker and the 4.7 Electronic-Locking Front and Rear Axle Ratio. Is that right?
Appears You are correct. In BB trim the ONLY ratio for manual (non squatch) is 4.46, and it allows you to add rear locker for no addl charge! I think that's a great deal! If I were buying a BB id take that! It also appears that 4.27/locker are a package deal for auto trans in that trim, and 3.73 is open only. I don't have a ready reference for this...but I can tell you that there is going to be a carrier break somewhere between 3.73 and 4.27 and the e-locker only supports the ratios upwards from the carrier break. What's a carrier break? Most Dana axles need a different carrier to install ratios above a certain number. I don't know the advantek well, but the old dana 44 had a carrier break at 3.92, and d35 was 3.55 IIRC. D30 I KNOW is 3.55, I don't wana discuss why I know that so well:mad:. But anyhoo...that's why! Oh and carrier=locker...they are the same physical part...only if it's not a locker it's gotta be called something...so it's a carrier...get it?

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In deep snow, what is better:
1. 4H with lockers locked
2. 4A with lockers locked
3. 4H only
4. 4A only

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
3. 4H only
4. 4A only
The inuit language has over 50 ways to describe snow. I suggest it would depend on the type of snow, and personal preference...

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
3. 4H only
4. 4A only
Unless Ford is doing something entirely different from any other manufacturer that has offered e-lockers, they will only lock in 4low...not that mods have not been made to allow them in any gear!

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess we'll have to see what the lock requirement will be. On the early Raptors, you could lock in 2HI and at higher speeds, but I think they subsequently reigned that back in.

Either way, I would only use the locker in normal snow driving if stuck. Locking either axle will make steering more difficult (moreso for the front). Combine that with a slippery surface and it could get unsafe. You could easily find a situation where you simply cannot steer effectively when it is critical to do so. However, deep snow might be another matter. I guess it depends on the snow and other conditions. I'd probably be inclined to be in 4HI, but there are probably applications for lockers on and in 4LO. It depends on conditions and what your intent is.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

3. 4H only
4. 4A only
I may be mistaken but 4A is not an actual gear but just a computer program that switches the bronco between 2H and 4H when needed.

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wondering if lockers (front & rear or rear only?) make sense for 4.3 manual Big Bend which will not be driven off-road and will be riding on stock 32's - maybe at most 33's in the future. I know it will help the retail value (which may be the only reason I would even consider). But wondering if it will change for the better or for the worse the drive-ability, or how it would change if at all the manual 4:46 final drive ratio, etc. Not too much concerned about slight decrease in mileage if even applicable or even slight loss of top end speed if torque at lower end is increased, just don't want to order Bronco and regret later not getting something most others appear to be wanting for sure.
I've gone years of Wisconsin winters driving in snow on and off road including many rough forest roads in Western states and haven't needed any locking differentials. If this is just going to stay on pavement or fair weather off pavement, I wouldn't bother with it.

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
(from an earlier post)

A Locker is a good thing to have....trust me
1604011640070-png.png

No lockers.... get out your boots, recovery tracks, your shovel and be prepared to spend some time getting muddy

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess we'll have to see what the lock requirement will be. On the early Raptors, you could lock in 2HI and at higher speeds, but I think they subsequently reigned that back in.

Either way, I would only use the locker in normal snow driving if stuck. Locking either axle will make steering more difficult (moreso for the front). Combine that with a slippery surface and it could get unsafe.
Locking front will make steering difficult/impossible...locking rear makes steering FUN!

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Appears You are correct. In BB trim the ONLY ratio for manual (non squatch) is 4.46, and it allows you to add rear locker for no addl charge! I think that's a great deal! If I were buying a BB id take that! It also appears that 4.27/locker are a package deal for auto trans in that trim, and 3.73 is open only. I don't have a ready reference for this...but I can tell you that there is going to be a carrier break somewhere between 3.73 and 4.27 and the e-locker only supports the ratios upwards from the carrier break. What's a carrier break? Most Dana axles need a different carrier to install ratios above a certain number. I don't know the advantek well, but the old dana 44 had a carrier break at 3.92, and d35 was 3.55 IIRC. D30 I KNOW is 3.55, I don't wana discuss why I know that so well:mad:. But anyhoo...that's why! Oh and carrier=locker...they are the same physical part...only if it's not a locker it's gotta be called something...so it's a carrier...get it?
Sadly, the B&P does bill you $495 for the 4.46 locker.
It just doesn't have a price listed, or tick all of the boxes.

Here's a screen shot of a 4D BB with only the 4.46 locker selected.

Note that the options line says that a locker wasn't chosen, but the final Summary has a $495 charge in it.
Unselect the 4.46 locker, and the mystery $495 charge goes away.

Since this is Oct 31st, you got a trick , not a treat, from B&P.
Sorry.

Ford Bronco Is Locking Rear Differential something I want? Screenshot_20201031-190904_Firefox
Sponsored