Sponsored

Is Locking Rear Differential something I want?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
HUH...no free lunch, and no free locker. Still worth it I think! ?
Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I guess we'll have to see what the lock requirement will be. On the early Raptors, you could lock in 2HI and at higher speeds, but I think they subsequently reigned that back in.

Either way, I would only use the locker in normal snow driving if stuck. Locking either axle will make steering more difficult (moreso for the front). Combine that with a slippery surface and it could get unsafe. You could easily find a situation where you simply cannot steer effectively when it is critical to do so. However, deep snow might be another matter. I guess it depends on the snow and other conditions. I'd probably be inclined to be in 4HI, but there are probably applications for lockers on and in 4LO. It depends on conditions and what your intent is.
If you are stuck, it's too late.

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Some goat modes will also enable the e-locker. Note that they are disabled automatically above ~20mph. At higher speeds, the traction control computer uses selective wheel braking to control wheel spin and such.

Watch the e-locker utterly fail in this video. This is really not a good look for the Bronco.

Sponsored

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The base model doesn't have e-lockers or offroad tires.
I understood about the tires. But I had no idea Ford cheaped out on the e-lockers on the Base.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understood about the tires. But I had no idea Ford cheaped out on the e-lockers on the Base.
repeat. no e-locker on the base.
the badlands (and sasquatch) have e-lockers.

maybe you're thinking of traction control which plays games with braking the spinning wheels

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hi, sorry. Totally noob question here.

Is locking rear differential something I should want?

If anything, I will drive this Bronco in snow more than anything else. I'd like to get into off roading, but even that will at best be only a few days per year.

Also is the locking diff auto on the Bronco? I'd assume yes. I've read so much online at this point I'm upside down.

I'm looking at the Big Bend auto. So adding it isn't expensive. Just want to make sure it's something that makes sense.

Thanks ahead of time!
A locking diff is like 4 wheel drive. You don't need it until you NEED IT. :cool:

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nothing in the price range of the Bronco Base has a locker, so no Ford didn’t cheap out.

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The Base was made for people who want to build their own capable 4x4 with after market equipment and parts. ;) . So no Ford did not cheap out on the Base. Its called giving the Customer choices.

Sponsored

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

repeat. no e-locker on the base.
the badlands (and sasquatch) have e-lockers.

maybe you're thinking of traction control which plays games with braking the spinning wheels

The Base was made for people who want to build their own capable 4x4 with after market equipment and parts. ;) . So no Ford did not cheap out on the Base. Its called giving the Customer choices.

Yeah, I'm talking about traction control, sorry. What Jeep calls BLD (brake lock differential).
https://blog.stellantisnorthamerica.com/2008/02/11/jeep-brake-traction-control-explained/

Does the Bronco not have this? (I thought it did.) If yes, then the performance in the video I linked to was weak. If no, then the video is consistent with that. Put it another way: I'm surprised that the Bronco can spin both right wheels freely, around 13:13 in this video: .

(after some searching...)
The Bronco (including the Base trim) has this:
>> Ford Traction assist AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control™ )
Is that not similar to the Jeep BLD?

I suppose there are several possible reasons the wheels spun in the first video I linked:
1) The Bronco AdvanceTrac isn't the same as Jeep BLD, as I thought.
2) AdvanceTrac is similar to BLD, it just doesn't work as well.
3) The traction in the mud/water (with those tires) was too low (on both sides of the axle) for AdvanceTrac to even try braking the spinning wheels.

Last edited:

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Realistically, most buyers do not need or will not ever use the locker. But it is a required offering in order to be taken seriously in the off-road segment. Good tires and reluctant reliance on the traction control will get most people where they need, though a decent LSD will help that further.

As an aside, Explorer Timberline starts at $47k and really only offers a few options. Whether or not its a "real" offroader, it is still more capable then most buyers need. Those that need more can spend the same money on a decent Bronco. So, what does it matter? People have options. Anyway, Explorer axles are not at all related to anything in Bronco. Timberline model has 3.58:1 gearing, and the Torsen diff happens to have the same bias ratio as the one in Mustang - 2.8:1, not that it really matters as it is, as noted, not a locker. But it plays well with brake traction control.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Absafreekinglutly. My silverado is RWD and the auto rear locker has saved my ass in dirt many times

Jalgieri

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi, sorry. Totally noob question here.

Is locking rear differential something I should want?

If anything, I will drive this Bronco in snow more than anything else. I'd like to get into off roading, but even that will at best be only a few days per year.

Also is the locking diff auto on the Bronco? I'd assume yes. I've read so much online at this point I'm upside down.

I'm looking at the Big Bend auto. So adding it isn't expensive. Just want to make sure it's something that makes sense.

Thanks ahead of time!
In a word, "yes". It's worth having.