Sponsored

Is "marine grade" vinyl interior any different from vinyl of the past?

stik0401

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Mustang and new Bronco ordered
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm getting vinyl, then putting seat covers on for my daily driving. I'll take them off when I go get dirty.
This is my plan too. :)

Plus, high end marine grade vinyl is really nice stuff. Not at all like the cars from when I was a kid in the 60s. lol
Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder how much hype the vinyl would be getting if Ford hadn’t tossed “marine-grade” into the name. My hat’s off to the marketing team.
Yep. The word "vinyl" conjures up memories of crappy old 80s cars, but really it's just synthetic leather. And these days, the "leatherette" or "pleather" or whatever it's called in various cars is pretty damn good and the average person would think it IS leather. "Marine-grade" was a brilliant marketing ploy.
Well, it’s not like “Marine Grade” Vinyl is a made up thing...it is a different product, designed for boats with additives put into the top PVC layer to resist UV rays, mildew, and add durability. The other layers are different as well for good material, but there is a lot out there to read on it. It is significantly different than fake leather put into most cars. Assuming they went this route and sourced material designed for boats, it’s a lot more than marketing and will add in a tangible way to the durability for those who have the top off a lot. It’s a great choice. Most new boats I have been on seem pretty comfortable too.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably a reason why the seats we've seen are a lighter colour... Heat won't be as much an issue compared to black leather, but breathability will likely be.
Also, this vinyl looks textured and Matte, not like what I'd expect from a vinyl seat.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wonder how much hype the vinyl would be getting if Ford hadn’t tossed “marine-grade” into the name. My hat’s off to the marketing team.
I could personally care less about the material of the seats. I just want the rubberized floor with drain plugs.

basequatch

Base
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F-150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Base
For me, the vinyl and rubberized flooring are more of a "fail safe". I'd be much more likely to ride around more with the top off having those features, than if I had cloth/leather/carpet, and not have to worry as much about getting caught in a mid-day storm. I'm not a hardcore wheeler by any means but that's why I'm planning on getting them.

Sponsored

Edprem

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would hope (and I know that hope is not a method) that marine grade will mean that the seats are waterproof, fade proof or at least fade resistant from the sun, and that it has some anti microbial qualities so that it doesn’t mold.
I know.... dare to dream.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would hope (and I know that hope is not a method) that marine grade will mean that the seats are waterproof, fade proof or at least fade resistant from the sun, and that it has some anti microbial qualities so that it doesn’t mold.
That's exactly what it means

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford Bronco Is "marine grade" vinyl interior any different from vinyl of the past? 8785F8B8-4EFC-4E0B-AFE8-B65098A60202

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it’s just the normal “faux leather” vinyl that a lot of other auto makers like Lexus have been using, and that the “marine grade” term has to do with the stitching/seams being different so that water doesn’t get inside of the seat and start to stink, etc. but this is 100% a guess. ?
Well "marine grade" is 100% UV protected, its waterproof (lots of regular vinyl has non waterproof backing) and it has mold and mildew inhibitors

Sponsored

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

gonna use washable seat covers i can remove and just spray out the inside.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Some of the pre-production Bronco's have Neoprene seat covers, what will the real production marine vinyl be, anyone's guess right now.

Excellent observations on the seat cover material. Taking your description I went to google and found that the seat cover material sounds like it could be Neoprene seat covers. If correct, the following description makes it sound like a good choice for the Bronco and a solution to all our grumblings in a number of threads about hot, sweaty, non-cooled, un-perforated seats. Also, looking at the closeup photo, the seat material does look like Neoprene. @shoelessjoe, when you felt the material, did it feel like Neoprene to you?

Ford Bronco Is "marine grade" vinyl interior any different from vinyl of the past? 8785F8B8-4EFC-4E0B-AFE8-B65098A60202
Sponsored