Sponsored

Is my wife right that I'm nuts, or am I brilliant??? Please gut check me!!

The Memedalorian

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Chevys
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dude! Run, don't walk, to get the Bronco you want right meow.

Get that Outer Banks and have FUN.
Sponsored

kirnma

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would say wait for your WT. Too many unknowns with buying and selling the OBX. If the market changes for any number of reasons, you might be stuck with selling the OBX for a loss. Don't chance it. However, if you do buy the OBX, don't put any upgrades on it. You can't assume the next buyer would want the same thing as you do; leave it a blank canvas.

Tataman

Black Diamond
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Chevy suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Telling a friend about your post. He said “you can be right, or you can be happy”. He quickly added, “I meant, you can be right or you can be married”. Hahaha. That’s wisdom!

Couple variables here behind your control, or anyones for that matter. More risk/reward if you purchase the obx while you wait for your build. Hope the supply chain gets worked out so that there are new vehicles to purchase.

Mike E

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands SAS 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sooo I'm having a hard time waiting over here.... Scared I wont get my baby till 2023... And nothing to have fun with this summer with the family.

Let me start off by saying I lose nothing on taxes when switching cars per my state, and only pay the difference. So if I sell a 45k car and buy a 49k one I only pay the 4k difference and $50 licensing to the state. No biggie or I'm out only $50's in my opinion.

The situation:

I have a White WT on order with hard top/2.7/leather/High/Lux pkg and the 3.0 Hoss... Placed it 2/1/22, updated to Hoss 3.0 on 3/9. Yes I know you have been waiting longer & hope you get yours before I do!

However.... from my dealer I have been offered a new white Outerbanks (Hitting the ground in 2 weeks), soft/2.3/High pkg for only 3k over sticker. Mind you this is a sticker prior to the new price hikes... So I'm telling myself its really only $1,700 over sticker. Total $48,395 all in.

I plan on putting 35's and black wheels with a 2" lift. Nothing crazy, maybe an extra 3.5k, so $52,000 all in. Just get it to look like a proportioned Bronco.

Then when the WT Bronco on order comes in I'll sell the Outerbanks for say 53k-55k and put 1k-3k in my pocket.

Yes I know their selling for more, and maybe it does.... but not counting on it. Breaking even is a win for me!

My question for the group:

1) Is my wife right that I'm crazy and should calm the hell down and go mow the lawn and wait for my WT on order.
2) Is this brilliant and if you could you would do the exact same thing?
3) Is my math right on this, and if I sell at the time I get me WT I could at least break even? Or do you feel there would be a profit, and if so your thoughts on how much? (I will use these opinions in my case to her for doing this)

This seems like a no brainer, please gut check me :)
I waited 602 day's to get my Badlands, 2,7, SAS, MIC, LUX, Leather...this past weekend I went to the MOAB Off Rodeo, I drove an Outerbanks with 2.7, SAS, Soft top. I had zero issues doing any of the obstacles that they allowed...I was impressed. I've now driven the Outerbanks and Wildtrack....they both drove the same...the differential is can you wait? If the 2.3 isn't a deal killer I'd go with the Outerbanks provided you can live with the soft top....if you're going to be doing desert driving I'd wait for the Wildtrack...If you want the best of all worlds I'd get the Badlands....and plan of waiting. I did the wait an my interim vehicle was a fully loaded JLU with a diesel...and sky top...great vehicle.

SIXMIL

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mercedes C350 coupe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Take a chill pill and wait.
There is no comparison between those vehicles.

Sponsored

Tippster

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well you asked - Your wife is right - and you are nuts.

moab6g

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thought of you with this song,,,, enjoying the bronco
Life is too short,,,, the funny thing this was the song on the radio when I was doing the trail,,,

Last edited:

Strebeld

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I did the same, but got a BD under MSRP with a Z plan. Yes, there is a risk, but the market probably isn't going to change too quickly. I figured in a year I can at least get what I paid for it (under MSRP). If I lose a thousand, then I just need to live with my bad decision:)

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sooo I'm having a hard time waiting over here.... Scared I wont get my baby till 2023... And nothing to have fun with this summer with the family.

Let me start off by saying I lose nothing on taxes when switching cars per my state, and only pay the difference. So if I sell a 45k car and buy a 49k one I only pay the 4k difference and $50 licensing to the state. No biggie or I'm out only $50's in my opinion.

The situation:

I have a White WT on order with hard top/2.7/leather/High/Lux pkg and the 3.0 Hoss... Placed it 2/1/22, updated to Hoss 3.0 on 3/9. Yes I know you have been waiting longer & hope you get yours before I do!

However.... from my dealer I have been offered a new white Outerbanks (Hitting the ground in 2 weeks), soft/2.3/High pkg for only 3k over sticker. Mind you this is a sticker prior to the new price hikes... So I'm telling myself its really only $1,700 over sticker. Total $48,395 all in.

I plan on putting 35's and black wheels with a 2" lift. Nothing crazy, maybe an extra 3.5k, so $52,000 all in. Just get it to look like a proportioned Bronco.

Then when the WT Bronco on order comes in I'll sell the Outerbanks for say 53k-55k and put 1k-3k in my pocket.

Yes I know their selling for more, and maybe it does.... but not counting on it. Breaking even is a win for me!

1) Is my wife right that I'm crazy and should calm the hell down and go mow the lawn and wait for my WT on order.
3) Is my math right on this, and if I sell at the time I get me WT I could at least break even? Or do you feel there would be a profit, and if so your thoughts on how much? (I will use these opinions in my case to her for doing this)

Wives are always right.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your gamble is that the used market will remain hot and you will be able to recoup your investment. For me it would be a no go. Inflation is soring, fuel prices are ridiculous, and the Ukraine situation isn't helping anyone's confidence.
I agree to a point resale value is never assured. That said none of those things has affected demand yet and the chip shortage is only getting worse. Inflation is a reason to buy sooner than later. When it comes to value the best bet is to spend less and that favors the outer Banks. One reason I went with Base but honestly I wouldn't trade it for anything else at any price.

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I agree to a point resale value is never assured. That said none of those things has affected demand yet and the chip shortage is only getting worse. Inflation is a reason to buy sooner than later. When it comes to value the best bet is to spend less and that favors the outer Banks. One reason I went with Base but honestly I wouldn't trade it for anything else at any price.
As gas hits $6+/gal people are going to slow down buying rigs that get 15ish MPG. Look back at the last time fuel prices climbed high. You couldn't give away trucks and SUV's that got poor mileage. Remember the "Cash for Clunkers" program? Don't be surprised if we see something similar soon. The chip shortage is a wildcard. We have no idea what the future holds in that department. Not knowing when the OP will get his original order makes the risk higher. In 6-12 he may be OK? Still not worth it to me.

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The situation:

Unless you're independently wealthy and buying with cash then go offroad the Tacoma after cutting the grass! The Bronco will not hold its value like your Tacoma. Although it's a great vehicle, I don't see the value holding once the supply chain bottleneck is bust open. When that happens, car values will plummet. You can find yourself upside down real quick and no way to move the vehicle quickly without taking a 10%-40% hit. I don't like your math also because it doesn't factor in all the bad karma that can happen to the OBX not covered by insurance or GAP. also doesn't account for the delay in getting the WT. I think it's a risk if anyone is trying to trade Broncos like Apple stock and still make a profit. 😂

RichL

Base
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base

The situation:

I would wait. The Wildtrack would be the one to sell later on and would hold value. too much can change in a year and your vehicle may just come in sooner than you think. Plus you earn points with your wife when you want to go buy accessories for listening to her wisdom.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

The situation:

I don't know, but the fact this scenario is even a thing, reminds me how the Bronco scene is such a turn off right now.

I guess if you really, really want a Bronco, think depreciation won't be an issue in the next year or so, and since you don't have a tax penalty ... then give it a try. It bites that it's come down to these sort of shenanigans though.

For me it would depend if I already owned an open top 4x4. If your current vehicles will not take you off-road to the places you want this summer, then that would give more motivation to try your switch-a-roo plan.

projectrally

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 RF / Factory Five 818 / 2018 CX-5 GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree with everyone else that you won't buy it, mod it, drive it for 12-18 months then sell it for profit. But you might not take much of a bath on it. Say MSRP was $45K. Nobody in their right mind will pay ADM on a used and modded truck. But maybe you'll only take a 10% depreciation hit on MSRP? Maybe less? So you sell it for $40-42K. If that's a delta you're willing to cover to own one earlier, do it. If it's not, then don't.

If it was me, I'd only buy the OB if I thought I could be happy with the OB enough to let go of the WT on order.

I wouldn't cancel the order for the WT, though. Who knows where prices will be when your WT is actually available. Maybe you'll be able to get what you want selling the used OB so you can jump into the WT. It doesn't hurt to just leave the order on the books and figure things out when it arrives. But you've just got to go in eyes wide open: you may get stuck with the OB or paying more than you wanted to drive the OB for a year.
Sponsored