broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I discussed with a Bilstein engineer who helped develop the Badlands suspension. He said that Bilstein did the design for that suspension, but that for Sasquatch they didn’t design it: Ford did modify it to reduce travel and higher clearance a bit. It seems at the time Bilstein first developed the suspension Sasquatch was not yet on the table.

Then look at the crash bars. Ford has to remove them to clear 35 tires. If Bronco was designed with Sasquatch in mind they wouldn’t need to remove crash bars.

EDIT: wording modified for clarification
Sponsored

Last edited:

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its not that much of a difference between the suspension setups. Removing those reinforcements is somewhat troubling and backs up the assertion that the original designs did not take the squatch package into total consideration. I expect future model years to be updated with squatch in mind.
In summary, not that big of a deal. Still getting bilsteins modified by ford engineering. If it was significant risk, it wouldn't be an option

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I discussed with a Bilstein engineer who helped develop the Badlands suspension. He said that Bilstein did the entire work for that suspension, but that for Sasquatch they didn’t do anything: Ford did modify it to reduce travel and higher clearance a bit. It seems at the time Bilstein developed the suspension Sasquatch was not yet on the table.

Then look at the crash bars. Ford has to remove them to clear 35 tires. If Bronco was designed with Sasquatch in mind they wouldn’t need to remove crash bars.
There are two different Bilstein shocks, one specifically for the Squatch. You're telling me that Bilstein didn't do anything and that Ford redesigned the shock for them?

Hmmm.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I discussed with a Bilstein engineer who helped develop the Badlands suspension. He said that Bilstein did the entire work for that suspension, but that for Sasquatch they didn’t do anything: Ford did modify it to reduce travel and higher clearance a bit. It seems at the time Bilstein developed the suspension Sasquatch was not yet on the table.

That makes no sense….but however they got to it, they have a kick ass suspension by all accounts with 35s from the factory. However you need to tell yourself they got to that…that’s what you end up with.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But maybe Ford pulled a Bilstein off the shelf.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’m glad that a few aftermarket companies sell a high-clearance crash bar set to clear larger tires. I already received mine from ReadyLift.
Will be interesting to know if they fit with 315s / no rubbing.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And... no.
So, if Bilstein didn't have anything to do with it, think someone from O'Reilly's auto parts came up with which shock/strut assembly to use and just forwarded a few thousand to Ford?

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, if Bilstein didn't have anything to do with it, think someone from O'Reilly's auto parts came up with which shock/strut assembly to use and just forwarded a few thousand to Ford?
Or maybe the story about Bilstein not having anything to do with it was a fable...

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've been told they designed 2 shocks. And then it would make sense that Ford as an afterthought modified/asked for a tweak on one of them to make the squatch shock.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, according to the Ford suspension engineer AND the Bilstein engineer , both of whom hung out here in years past, this story is complete bullshit. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, according to the Ford suspension engineer AND the Bilstein engineer , both of whom hung out here in years past, this story is complete bullshit. :rolleyes:
I did clarify the post with the exact wording that I have been told. That this engineer said bullshit is a possibility. But then if Bilstein did design the Sasquatch suspension in the first place why would they reduce its travel with a bumpstop from the beginning. Makes no sense. So clearly it can’t be bulshit, and if you don’t see the logic you can go back to school.

Also the guy sounded a bit piss and was criticizing Ford decision like why would they make me design a nice shock and then cripple it to fit their 35in tires.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did clarify the post with the exact wording that I have been told. That this engineer said bullshit is a possibility. But then if Bilstein did design the Sasquatch suspension in the first place why would they reduce its travel with a bumpstop from the beginning. Makes no sense. So clearly it can’t be bulshit, and if you don’t see the logic you can go back to school.

Also the guy sounded a bit piss and was criticizing Ford decision like why would they make me design a nice shock and then cripple it to fit their 35in tires.
Wow, you make a lot of ignorant comments in your attack on the guy...#1: All suspension set-ups have bump stops from the factory. Badlands has them too; Sasquatch just has ones that allow 10mm less up-travel compared to the set-up with 33s...for obvious reasons. #2: Sasquatch has very good articulation and ramp scores for a factory set-up...it is in no way "crippled". That line of argument makes your entire post seem like it was made up to for some agenda you have: either trying to justify in your mind why not getting Sasquatch is a good thing, and you really don't believe it but are trying to convince yourself and others; or you're a troll who is not buying to begin with.
Sponsored