Sponsored

Is the 12" screen really an upgrade we all want?

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
don't over think it! Just trust me when I say you want the biggest screen possible.

As I do not have a screen in my truck now and have owned many vehicles that didn't even have a radio, what would I be doing on the 12 inch screen that I would not be doing on the 8 inch? Really. Is it GPS functions that you use the big screen for or something else? My wife's vehicles have a small screen with backup camera, but they aren't even 8 inches I don't think. They seem to work fine. Is it for a better back up camera?

Is there some app I haven't discovered yet that will have me using the screen?
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

don't over think it! Just trust me when I say you want the biggest screen possible.

I'm not necessarily doubting you, it's just that I've never had any screen and 8 inches seems big. I don't even have a smart phone, so I'm not into technology per se, but do appreciate some things. Just wondering what I will actually be doing on the screen.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would be perfectly happy with a 6-7" screen and complete analog controls. I don't like being reliant on the touch screen for any major functions. I have an 8.4 in my Grand Cherokee and it is plenty big. Almost too big.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What? You don't have a smart phone? Are you at the library on their computer? LOL!

On the Raptor, you can control the heat/ac via the screen. And it is nice to have a BIG screen when using the NAV or Apple Carplay/Android auto.

Please go get a smart phone. The Bronco will have wireless Apple Car play. Someone sends you a text and it will read it to you. You can also dictate back a response.

Pretty much everything is on display now so you want a bigger display.

I'm not necessarily doubting you, it's just that I've never had any screen and 8 inches seems big. I don't even have a smart phone, so I'm not into technology per se, but do appreciate some things. Just wondering what I will actually be doing on the screen.

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What? You don't have a smart phone? Are you at the library on their computer? LOL!

On the Raptor, you can control the heat/ac via the screen. And it nice to have a BIG screen when using the NAV or Apple Carplay/Android auto.

Please go get a smart phone. The Bronco will have wireless Apple Car play. Someone sends you a text and it will read it to you. You can also dictate back a response.

Pretty much everything is on display now so you want a bigger display.

I'm sure I'll get one when my current phone dies. I've had it for 10+ years and it still works, so not in any hurry. I have a computer at work and a laptop at home. Just don't need much else. I do not text and drive period, so I don't care about the voice function. I mostly ride a motorcycle to work, so no phone for that either. Work knows not to even try to contact me off hours as I am not available.

Hopefully I can still do some of the vehicle management stuff with my laptop.

Sponsored

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's a reason why it's hard to find a 25" television.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sure I'll get one when my current phone dies. I've had it for 10+ years and it still works, so not in any hurry. I have a computer at work and a laptop at home. Just don't need much else. I do not text and drive period, so I don't care about the voice function. I mostly ride a motorcycle to work, so no phone for that either. Work knows not to even try to contact me off hours as I am not available.

Hopefully I can still do some of the vehicle management stuff with my laptop.
The pricing hasn't changed much but cell phones have improved a bit in the past 10 years.
227bddcbfd65d0761b2033c6f70aae5e.gif

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The pricing hasn't changed much but cell phones have improved a bit in the past 10 years.
227bddcbfd65d0761b2033c6f70aae5e.gif

Yeah, I probably paid $30 ten years ago, but it still texts and makes phone calls, and takes pictures when needed, and charge lasts a week. I have several nice Nikons for any real pictures though. A great plus is it does NOT accept group texts, so I'm exempt from all family squabbles.

And yes, I did have a bag phone and could use it for 20 minutes a month. No one had that number because you had to pay if they called you.

MentalBill

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Toyota Tundra, Yamaha WR250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wanted the bigger screen for the maps while doing trails. Also hoping to not need reading glasses with the monster screen

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I probably paid $30 ten years ago, but it still texts and makes phone calls, and takes pictures when needed, and charge lasts a week. I have several nice Nikons for any real pictures though. A great plus is it does NOT accept group texts, so I'm exempt from all family squabbles.
That alone makes it worth keeping! I need that.

Sponsored

bmclain

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sync will automatically switch to a "night" mode when it's dark. So you shouldn't be concerned about the bigger screen bothering you more.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sync will automatically switch to a "night" mode when it's dark. So you shouldn't be concerned about the bigger screen bothering you more.
Night mode has been around for years and even available on very basic nav units. That could be a safety issue if you had a bright screen on while night driving.

The 8" in the pics from earlier today looks nice but I think the 12" will be more "future-proof" as more cars are going with larger screens now. More importantly for me is that it will be easier for me to see with my ageing eyes, ha.

Taco_Sexual

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

IMO, the 12" will assist greatly with the Trail Cam option and having a 360 degree view of the vehicle. Maybe there will be a couple easter eggs (a la Tesla) in there with video playback allowed while the vehicle is in Park. Probably a long shot but it'd be great to have the backseats folded with some sleeping bags and Netflix playing on the screen.

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it’s mainly a matter of taste.
Those who love the way it looks will get it even if they need to go for a higher package to get it.

For most people myself included, 8” is large enough for its purpose and fits well with the interior of the Bronco.

If I was going to watch movies on it I would definitely consider that 12”.?
I agree, I just think that the 12" screen looks cleaner and more modern. My current vehicle, 2018 Ford Explorer, has an 8" screen and it is just fine. I have never once thought that it was too small. I never really thought about it at all until I started looking at the different Bronco trims.

Some of the newer vehicles are coming out with more screen taking up the dash real estate (like the Dodge Ram in the picture below). I personally like this trend but others may not.

Ford Bronco Is the 12" screen really an upgrade we all want? 1599686368173

Night blindness is a valid concern. I cannot ride in my wife's car at night because she seems to be immune to brightness in her eyes while I can barely see out of the windshield. In my vehicle I have the brightness of the console/screen all the way down - or the display completely off.

Blindturtle

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Inifiniti
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can definitely live with the 8" screen. That is the "big" screen in the Wrangler. I would rather use the dollars I save from not going with the high package for some of the additional options that will be available.
Sponsored