Sponsored

Is the 12" screen really an upgrade we all want?

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When it comes to screen size I'm normally in the bigger is better camp but I'm wondering if the extra real estate on the 12" screen is really a good thing. Some will let the price of the High Package or some other accessory included with the High Package dictate their buying decision but if we focus on the 8" vs 12" screen size alone is bigger really better? I'd like a couple key questions answered before I know for sure...

Will the larger screen be more of a distraction when driving at night? Anyone that's been in a Tesla may know the answer to this. I've never sat in one. Availability of a dark or night mode may make this less if an issue.

How well will the extra resolution and real estate be utilized on the bigger screen? Has anyone seen comparative photos between the two screen sizes displaying similar content? Are the layouts identical? If more background is all you get on most screens then the 12" screen loses some of its luster imo. I wonder if the 12" screen was really only necessary to shoehorn in all the views provided by the 360 degree cameras?

I'm doubtful I'm going to get the chance to see both screens in the flesh prior to ordering time. I may have to drop in to the local Ford dealer to see if Ranger's and F150's have 8 and 12" screen options.
I drive a lot of rentals for work. I see lots of different screen sizes from various makes. The 8 inch screens are nice but the more screen size is available the better. It makes it easier to see at quick glance. The big monster screens in the new Ram are not overly big. I don’t see a bigger screen being a problem in the smaller Bronco cab. I’m getting the 12 inch.

The 2020 F-150 I have right now has an auto dim feature that seems to work well.
Sponsored

xXChartmanXx

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've had an Explorer with an 8" screen since 2011. It seems small and antiquated at this point in time. Also, the dash is really fairly barren and that 12" screen takes up more real estate and makes the dash look more balanced. Not too mention i'm getting older so a bigger screen that's easier to read is welcome. As for the screen brightness causing issues with driving at night, i'm sure it will dim somewhat at night like most screens on cars these days.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How will carplay/android auto be integrated. Will that be flawless? If so, larger screen can be good.
If not, no screen and a good phone holder is just fine...

Map updates from car manufacturers are usually pretty expensive. I never use the car navigation!

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
When it comes to screen size I'm normally in the bigger is better camp but I'm wondering if the extra real estate on the 12" screen is really a good thing. Some will let the price of the High Package or some other accessory included with the High Package dictate their buying decision but if we focus on the 8" vs 12" screen size alone is bigger really better? I'd like a couple key questions answered before I know for sure...

Will the larger screen be more of a distraction when driving at night? Anyone that's been in a Tesla may know the answer to this. I've never sat in one. Availability of a dark or night mode may make this less if an issue.

How well will the extra resolution and real estate be utilized on the bigger screen? Has anyone seen comparative photos between the two screen sizes displaying similar content? Are the layouts identical? If more background is all you get on most screens then the 12" screen loses some of its luster imo. I wonder if the 12" screen was really only necessary to shoehorn in all the views provided by the 360 degree cameras?

I'm doubtful I'm going to get the chance to see both screens in the flesh prior to ordering time. I may have to drop in to the local Ford dealer to see if Ranger's and F150's have 8 and 12" screen options.
How much is the NO SCREEN option?

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m getting the 12”

Bigger is always better friends, no matter how many times your wife has told you otherwise. ?

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The only way I don’t get the 12” screen is if I go Base-Squatch, unless it’s a stand alone option.

cybersal

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My Escape doesn't have a screen so I'm sure 8" will be just fine.

tripjammer

Wildtrak
First Name
tripjammer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 8 inch screen is way to small in a vehicle the size of the Bronco. You want 12 inches. If it was 10 inches that would be the sweet spot but 8 inches is not much better than the biggest smart phone. I think the new Iphone 12 Pro Max will be 6.7 inches....

12 inch looks better integrated into the dash!
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

8 inch screen is ok but looks cheap and too small
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Last edited:

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree the 12" fills the space and looks better than the 8" with the big gap around it. The 8" will be a longer reach to access vs the 12". My gripe is if I want the 12", you have to get the high package and everything that comes with it. I would want the 12" as a stand alone option. Will Ford offer that?

Sponsored

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have very little desire for the 12” screen but it does look cleaner. 8” is plenty though. The most that I would pay for that upgrade if it was a la carte is like $300, but Ford hates a la carte options.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I've been rethinking the high package based on what the survey prices were, I think it may boil down to availability of white top for me and if it requires mod top. If I can swing it all on a manual BL going thru Granger at spitting distance to 45k I will.
Sponsored