Sponsored

Is the 12" screen really an upgrade we all want?

Kmonty

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Husband’s vehicle
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I guess I’m a consumer wh*re :LOL:. I want it. But then again I am female and want things like remote start, heated seats, and a good sound system.
Sponsored

JakeLucas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Turbo T-Bird, Q50, ‘74 Corvette, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’d say mostly no for me.

I have two big screens in my Infiniti Q50. One Nav, one system info screen.

I always turn them completely off.

The only reason that I got the Nav, was to get the premium sound system. Never used the Nav. Never will.

I say mostly no because I would like the better sound system, which includes the bigger screen. Aftermarket systems are a pain in the ass these days.

My dad’s Corsair has the premium system. Good sound quality for a stock system but not very loud.

My company F150 has one little, non-touch screen and it’s suits me just fine. I’d love a full on custom sound system though.

richs184

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SF
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do these screens have any protection like gorilla glass? Imagine a rug rat in a car seat launching a sippy cup from the cheap seats.....

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When it comes to screen size I'm normally in the bigger is better camp but I'm wondering if the extra real estate on the 12" screen is really a good thing. Some will let the price of the High Package or some other accessory included with the High Package dictate their buying decision but if we focus on the 8" vs 12" screen size alone is bigger really better? I'd like a couple key questions answered before I know for sure...

Will the larger screen be more of a distraction when driving at night? Anyone that's been in a Tesla may know the answer to this. I've never sat in one. Availability of a dark or night mode may make this less if an issue.

How well will the extra resolution and real estate be utilized on the bigger screen? Has anyone seen comparative photos between the two screen sizes displaying similar content? Are the layouts identical? If more background is all you get on most screens then the 12" screen loses some of its luster imo. I wonder if the 12" screen was really only necessary to shoehorn in all the views provided by the 360 degree cameras?

I'm doubtful I'm going to get the chance to see both screens in the flesh prior to ordering time. I may have to drop in to the local Ford dealer to see if Ranger's and F150's have 8 and 12" screen options.
There is a video tutorial on sync4 in another forum that is helpful in understanding the 12" screen. (view it here: Deep Dive on the Sync4 System - complete tutorial video )
If you connect the dots between that video, the Bronco Packaging guide, and the Bronco Quick reference guide then you conclude that an additional feature on the 12" screen are "display cards" which are optionally displayed on the right 20% of the screen. I only saw this referenced with the 12" screen. Thes display cards allow you to concurrently display other information like song titles, trip odometers, inclinometer, 4wd status, etc, etc. On selected views you can expand the left side of the screen which removes the display card on the right. An example shown in the tutorial referenced above is the navigation screen. Not sure what other views allow that as well.

I've been struggling with the same question as you for months, even after placing my order for a BB in Jan. Having now discovered these little tidbits of information on the difference between the 8" and 12" screen, I am strongly considering changing my order to the OBX with high package to get the 12" screen. Of course, the high package also gives you other goodies like the 360 camera and extra sound deadening, but its a tough call for the added cost.

Sponsored

ryn0s3r1

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tundra 1794 Edition 4X4, 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep!

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Old eyes need a larger screen to fully take advantage of the camera views. :)

J_Meh_Cray_D

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That 4” is HUGE. Never underestimate the awesome power of 4”

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am getting the Mid package on a BD, so to get this I would have to go up to a BL's and the price would jump $6500, uh.... no thanks!

Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the 12" you also gain the ability to record your trail drive as a video with info overlaid on it, such as incline degree and speed.

I'm assuming 12" only because of the 360 cameras tied into it and I've only seen that feature on the 12" in promotional material.

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bigger is better and I don’t have to squint so hard when I look at it :)
Sponsored