Sponsored

Is the 12" screen really an upgrade we all want?

TommyTwoTone

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tekno MT410
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When it comes to screen size I'm normally in the bigger is better camp but I'm wondering if the extra real estate on the 12" screen is really a good thing. Some will let the price of the High Package or some other accessory included with the High Package dictate their buying decision but if we focus on the 8" vs 12" screen size alone is bigger really better? I'd like a couple key questions answered before I know for sure...

Will the larger screen be more of a distraction when driving at night? Anyone that's been in a Tesla may know the answer to this. I've never sat in one. Availability of a dark or night mode may make this less if an issue.

How well will the extra resolution and real estate be utilized on the bigger screen? Has anyone seen comparative photos between the two screen sizes displaying similar content? Are the layouts identical? If more background is all you get on most screens then the 12" screen loses some of its luster imo. I wonder if the 12" screen was really only necessary to shoehorn in all the views provided by the 360 degree cameras?

I'm doubtful I'm going to get the chance to see both screens in the flesh prior to ordering time. I may have to drop in to the local Ford dealer to see if Ranger's and F150's have 8 and 12" screen options.
Sponsored

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The current Ranger and F-150 do not. The Explorer has a horizontal 8" and then a vertical option on the high trims. I am not sure the dimensional size of it. I have heard it has sizing issues of screens on the display. Haven't seen them though.

These are good valid questions though I'd like to know as well.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want it but after seeing pics of the 8", that would be just fine too. The larger screen may actually be safer because it is easier to see.

Something like this is what I consider ridiculous:
BYTON-M-Byte.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP

TommyTwoTone

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tekno MT410
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think it looks ridiculous in the small cabin of the Bronco.
So you think the 12" looks abnormally large in the Bronco cabin? I hadn't considered that although it took me a while to get used to the 6.3" screen of my new phone.

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think it’s mainly a matter of taste.
Those who love the way it looks will get it even if they need to go for a higher package to get it.

For most people myself included, 8” is large enough for its purpose and fits well with the interior of the Bronco.

If I was going to watch movies on it I would definitely consider that 12”.?

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't think there is a downside to bigger screen except cost. For a lot of vehicles they force you into other "upgrades" you don't want to unlock the bigger screen option. So waiting on B&P to be live to see what we are faced with here. I will gladly pay ~$1k for the extra screen real estate, but not ~$4k and gain a bunch of electronic nannies I don't want to deal with.

Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
but if we focus on the 8" vs 12" screen size alone is bigger really better?
The question is - later down the road will the 12" get some software updates that make it objectively better?

For me it comes down to this.
Do I need it? No
Do I want it? Yes
Do I want to pay extra for it? No

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As I do not have a screen in my truck now and have owned many vehicles that didn't even have a radio, what would I be doing on the 12 inch screen that I would not be doing on the 8 inch? Really. Is it GPS functions that you use the big screen for or something else? My wife's vehicles have a small screen with backup camera, but they aren't even 8 inches I don't think. They seem to work fine. Is it for a better back up camera?

Is there some app I haven't discovered yet that will have me using the screen?