Sponsored

Is the 2.3 going to be the reliable offroad engine vs the 2.7?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You would think that the price is nuts (and I do), but I went over to the Ford dealership to get a quote on replacement of the timing chain on my 2011 3.5l ecoboost and they quoted me $3,970!!! (with over $2400 being labor).

I know that it's not a simple job, but it isn't 20+ hours of labor either. I don't know what the labor rate was there, but they are high.
That sounds about right for the timing job, they really suck to do. I was quoted about the same on a 4.6 3V. It can be quicker to swap a new block in.
Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Oh yes the oil embargo days. Yes the one off Vega. Not to worry, the reviewers that recommended it are all dead.
Problem is Motor Trend along with Car and Driver both think the Bronco is a big hit.

Should we not buy one?
From the reports of folks here that have test driven or received theirs, yes. If I had too solely depend on a Motor Trend, or Car & Driver review, no.

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From the reports of folks here that have test driven or received theirs, yes. If I had too solely depend on a Motor Trend, or Car & Driver review, no.
Yah I guess the layman is the best avenue. They know better.
Do you distrust doctors too?

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yah I guess the layman is the best avenue. They know better.
Do you distrust doctors too?
Damn son, do you know any laymen that have done heart surgery?

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Damn son, do you know any laymen that have done heart surgery?
Heart surgery has so many similarities to mechanical engineering! Oh wait

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has anyone noticed that there have been zillions of threads started by someone who is choosing or being forced into the 2.3L by way of their budget or other options (such as the manual), looking for validation that it may actually be the “better” engine choice?

Yet, I can’t seem to find many (or any?) created by someone choosing the 2.7 seeking any community validation for their choice.

Interesting… we’ve discovered a new psychological complex that forms when selecting the smaller, cheaper, and less powerful engine that is offered in a vehicle. One that causes the extreme need for external validation. Rest easy 2.3ers, us 2.7ers aren’t judging you. We’re all in the Bronco family. Hell, even the 2.0ers and 1.5ers in the Sports are part of the family! ;)
I went for the 2.3 because I’m not viewing my Bronco as a performance vehicle. I’ve said this before, when I want power I drive my B58. An automatic was more important to me as well, even though I love manuals, just not so much fun in the Bay Area traffic.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You would think that the price is nuts (and I do), but I went over to the Ford dealership to get a quote on replacement of the timing chain on my 2011 3.5l ecoboost and they quoted me $3,970!!! (with over $2400 being labor).

I know that it's not a simple job, but it isn't 20+ hours of labor either. I don't know what the labor rate was there, but they are high.
I wouldn‘t go to a dealership for non-warranty work in the best of times, but I bet right now they‘re milking customers like never before in the service department since they have no way to make money on auto sales given their low inventories.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Ouch. That's what scares me away from newer vehicles. I replaced the timing belt on one of my older cars three times, at the recommended service intervals, as we got 220,000 miles out of that motor. Cost me maybe $40 each and several hours of my time.

On the other hand, getting hit with some $4000 bill on a complex newer vehicle maintenance item or expensive failed part, can completely blow the budget. On the plus side you generally save on fuel cost and have longer maintenance intervals with a new vehicle, but then something occurs that can eat up all that savings.

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Heart surgery has so many similarities to mechanical engineering! Oh wait
Its all pipes!
I went for the 2.3 because I’m not viewing my Bronco as a performance vehicle. I’ve said this before, when I want power I drive my B58. An automatic was more important to me as well, even though I love manuals, just not so much fun in the Bay Area traffic.
I'm with ya on the Bronco not being a race car. But I still dont get what about traffic makes people dislike manuals. With an auto you have to hold the brake pedal to keep from moving forward or bein in and out of park as much as you would be shifting a MT. Also if really bored revving your engine or doing 10ft long burnouts can be entertaining. That and the fact that you dont even have to fully engage the clutch to move the 5ft. Just a quick slip and your forward. Also with the 7spd much like the days of granny gear just leave a gap put it in C and move at a snails pace. Really the worst thing for me in traffic is holding the damn brake pedal or having to go in and out of park.
Ouch. That's what scares me away from newer vehicles. I replaced the timing belt on one of my older cars three times, at the recommended service intervals, as we got 220,000 miles out of that motor. Cost me maybe $40 each and several hours of my time.

On the other hand, getting hit with some $4000 bill on a complex newer vehicle maintenance item or expensive failed part, can completely blow the budget. On the plus side you generally save on fuel cost and have longer maintenance intervals with a new vehicle, but then something occurs that can eat up all that savings.
I bought a 93 ZJ(first year) back in 2016 paid $1500 and still havent hit $3000 total. 260,000 miles, only 2 windows work, and no a/c plus its flex sealed to stop the leaks. but it starts everytime and rides comfy enough. Its the 3rd newest vehicle I've ever owned. the other 2 were 96 Fords with 351s. I too am worried about dealing with a newer vehicle. Atleast with my current ones there is always the ability to stab a 1 wire dizzy in it and swap manifolds for a carb or aftermarket efi. $1500 max to get it running if the sensors all betray me.

Sponsored

MrOzMan

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Its all pipes!

I'm with ya on the Bronco not being a race car. But I still dont get what about traffic makes people dislike manuals. With an auto you have to hold the brake pedal to keep from moving forward or bein in and out of park as much as you would be shifting a MT. Also if really bored revving your engine or doing 10ft long burnouts can be entertaining. That and the fact that you dont even have to fully engage the clutch to move the 5ft. Just a quick slip and your forward. Also with the 7spd much like the days of granny gear just leave a gap put it in C and move at a snails pace. Really the worst thing for me in traffic is holding the damn brake pedal or having to go in and out of park.

I bought a 93 ZJ(first year) back in 2016 paid $1500 and still havent hit $3000 total. 260,000 miles, only 2 windows work, and no a/c plus its flex sealed to stop the leaks. but it starts everytime and rides comfy enough. Its the 3rd newest vehicle I've ever owned. the other 2 were 96 Fords with 351s. I too am worried about dealing with a newer vehicle. Atleast with my current ones there is always the ability to stab a 1 wire dizzy in it and swap manifolds for a carb or aftermarket efi. $1500 max to get it running if the sensors all betray me.
You don’t have to use Park, Neutral is only one click away. Anyway, I think people know from their own experiences the pros and cons of each.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wouldn‘t go to a dealership for non-warranty work in the best of times, but I bet right now they‘re milking customers like never before in the service department since they have no way to make money on auto sales given their low inventories.
Well, it's funny, because no one wants to do the damn job (not even the dealership). However, I knew that they would at least give me an estimate I could use as a baseline.

So, no, I really wasn't planning on using the dealer to do the work. I really don't have the room/time to do it myself right now, which sucks, but it looks like I am going to try to hold on with the hope that I might get my Bronco next month. I will do it myself, provided, I have a daily driver.

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Around 50% of a dealerships profit comes from the service and parts dept anyway. That and sales add ons.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think you have to drive the snot out of the 2.3 to approach any performance parallels of the 2.7.
This would take life out of any engine. How about that inferior induction on the 2.3?- Problems coming.

Read what Motor Trend and Car and Driver say. They know more about these vehicles (and most every other) than anyone on this site. If you don't believe them why would you believe anyone?
I s'pose you also subscribe to the theory that smaller engines won't last making that kinda power....? 🤷

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i see so much complaining about paying someone to fix your car... there is a simple solution, acquire the skill set to do the work yourself! the timing chain change might be labor intense, but if you learn to do it yourself and invest in the tools required to preform the task you will chalk one up in the win column. new vehicles are not all that complex if you bother to educate yourself. now they even have you tube videos (chuckle chuckle). most dealers charge 120-150 an hour for labor.. learn a skill and save some money...
Sponsored