Sponsored

Is the 2.3 going to be the reliable offroad engine vs the 2.7?

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

maybe if you think the six is the better choice, you can get the six. if you think the 4 will better suit your needs get the 4. different people like different things and look for attributes.... personal needs and finances will ultimately drive your decision. personally, it does not matter what engine is in mine, the transmission is the deciding factor. the turbo wearing out is not a factor for me. as i am a mechanic, i will perform all of my maintenance (other than warranty or recall work). all machines will require a mechanic. these cars are too new to predict how they will stand the test of time... all we have is pure speculation... buy what you want and drive what you want. you are not going to influence what i like any more than i am going to influence you...
Bingo! People underestimate how important the transmission is.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Who wants to help me do the timing chain replacement on an EcoBoost V6?!? :) Ford Dealership, for the record, quoted me $4,000 to replace the timing chain... I was like, "are you high?!?"

Thanks, but ummm, no.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Has anyone noticed that there have been zillions of threads started by someone who is choosing or being forced into the 2.3L by way of their budget or other options (such as the manual), looking for validation that it may actually be the “better” engine choice?

Yet, I can’t seem to find many (or any?) created by someone choosing the 2.7 seeking any community validation for their choice.

Interesting… we’ve discovered a new psychological complex that forms when selecting the smaller, cheaper, and less powerful engine that is offered in a vehicle. One that causes the extreme need for external validation. Rest easy 2.3ers, us 2.7ers aren’t judging you. We’re all in the Bronco family. Hell, even the 2.0ers and 1.5ers in the Sports are part of the family! ;)

Last edited:

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello b6g. It is now time for another stupid duck vs rabbit season conversation.

Please choose from the following:
  1. Engine
  2. SAS
  3. Model vs Model
  4. My build decision I plan to argue about isn't listed but still need to justify my choice and/or assumption.

Seriously, get over the engine or sas thing. Both will be fine. 2.3/7 have great track records anyways.

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How many cupholders come on the 2.3 vs. the 2.7?

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Any thing made by man can be screwed up by man...
Like Jay and Silent Bob in Dogma. "What do mean, what gear I'm in?"
%2fa1%2f57%2fe7%2fa157e769a24df54170cd5426c39a8b3a.gif

Has anyone noticed that there have been zillions of threads started by someone who is choosing or being forced into the 2.3L by way of their budget or other options (such as the manual), looking for validation that it may actually be the “better” engine choice?

Yet, I can’t seem to find many (or any?) created by someone choosing the 2.7 seeking any community validation for their choice.

Interesting… we’ve discovered a new psychological complex that forms when selecting the smaller, cheaper, and less powerful engine that is offered in a vehicle. One that causes the extreme need for external validation. Rest easy 2.3ers, us 2.7ers aren’t judging you. We’re all in the Bronco family. Hell, even the 2.0ers and 1.5ers in the Sports are part of the family! ;)
But its the girth that.....

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the turbo wearing out is not a factor for me. as i am a mechanic, i will perform all of my maintenance
If you've had previous 2.3 experience you'll know how easy a turbo job is on them to. Great access.

Who wants to help me do the timing chain replacement on an EcoBoost V6?!? :) Ford Dealership, for the record, quoted me $4,000 to replace the timing chain... I was like, "are you high?!?"

Thanks, but ummm, no.
On a related note, my wife's car has the Ford NA 3.5 and the water pump is behind the timing chain. When that goes it will virtually total the car, because repairs will meet or exceed it's value. I'm pretty sour on Ford's OHC V engines because of the timing chains. The 4.0L SOHC and the 4.6L 3V have both been nightmares for me and this 3.5 is next in line to ruin my day. Hence inlines from here on.

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Really this thread is for all the people that dont yet have a reservation and therefore cant join in on the order/tracking/delivery status threads. :ROFLMAO:

But I like this discussion, it bring out good opinions and assumptions, also gives newer members a chance to beat that dead horse into the ground but with the nice air freshener smell of a new thread.

If any owners of 2.7 F150s or new Rangers have close to or above 100,000 miles on em, I think we would all love your opinions about your experience and durability so far.

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Really this thread is for all the people that dont yet have a reservation and therefore cant join in on the order/tracking/delivery status threads. :ROFLMAO:

But I like this discussion, it bring out good opinions and assumptions, also gives newer members a chance to beat that dead horse into the ground but with the nice air freshener smell of a new thread.

If any owners of 2.7 F150s or new Rangers have close to or above 100,000 miles on em, I think we would all love your opinions about your experience and durability so far.
Particularly 2018+ F150s that have the newer nano design

zfischer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Tacoma, 4WD Sprinter, BJ42 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm going with the 2.3 and I expect it will meet my needs for performance and reliability.

But I don't have any reason to believe the 2.7 will not be equal or better in those standards.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7l is the Baja engine used by Ford. Pretty sure it's reliable. Every model of every manufacture has one off issues.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Interesting… we’ve discovered a new psychological complex that forms when selecting the smaller, cheaper, and less powerful engine that is offered in a vehicle. One that causes the extreme need for external validation.
Same thing for the people that have the small engine complex. I need a V16 TurboSuperHemi on 44s or it's trash.

Your comment implies that people that make smart investments are inferior and a modern vehicle is an investment (it is not). Also implied that everyone will need and use the most powerful engine.

Some people actually just want feedback to align to their use cases to make an informed decision. 2k isn't a lot to upgrade in reality but may not be necessary for most, and some people enjoy driving manual. Some may want to take that 2k and buy accessories or hookers.

Reality is both will be fine, have a good track record, and resell will be great for both. The real argument is really how will early quality control be and how is the MIC vs MOD.

xcxv

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Yes. Everybody switch to 2.3 NoW!
Sponsored