Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1994.5 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 4 Door bronco weighs approximately 1000 lbs more than the Ranger. A lot of high reviews for the 2.3 in the ranger giving it plenty of torque and power but what will the additional 1000 lbs due to that pep? Someone posted about an Ecoboost Power Pack available for the ranger from factory, boosting the hp from 270 to about 320 hp. Anyone know more about this as well?

Wouldn't even have this discussion if the 2.7 came with a manual. I really want to like the 2.3 with a Getrag combo but seems like pushing the 2.3 limits and the Getrag doesn't have high marks.
Sponsored

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The difference is more like 500lbs? When you go to the store and see a price tag of $1.99, just think 2 bucks not 1. The 2.3 should feel fine unless you're expecting a sports car.

I was gonna suggest all the other threads on this topic if you want opinions but saw you just posted in one of those also. ?

OP
OP
11Bronco1776

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1994.5 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The difference is more like 500lbs? When you go to the store and see a price tag of $1.99, just think 2 bucks not 1. The 2.3 should feel fine unless you're expecting a sports car.

I was gonna suggest all the other threads on this topic if you want opinions but saw you just posted in one of those also. ?
below chart shows the ford Bronco 2.3 manual to be 4499 to 4997 lbs. Quick google search on ranger shows weight to be 3900 to 4400 lbs. So I guess we're both correct. 500 and or up to 1000 lb weight difference. Sure hope it doesn't tank gas mileage and performance. Thanks for posting back.
Updated with published curb weight :

2021 Bronco Curb Weight Dimensions.jpg

wolfpackinva

Black Diamond
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2.3L with a manual ran over the hills at the event a few weeks ago. Read those reviews.

Sponsored

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I know the 2.3 EB is a 4 cylinder and that gets people nervous that grew up with V8s but, the engine has plenty of power.
The 2.3 is more powerful than any stock V8 that came in a Bronco before, has better transmission ratios (both manual and 10 speed), and has modern engine management that can adjust detonation, air fuel etc.
Yup itā€™s not a V8...yup wonā€™t sound as good...yup will be the most powerful engine available with a manual transmission in any BOF SUV.
Heck if you think the 2.3 is too weak you can get the 2.7, although that limits you to the automatic. The 2.7 has all of the same differences of an EB to V8 and adds dual turbo chargers and a Compacted Graphite Engine. Yup plenty of power.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't know if I'm ready to base my opinion on an article that uses Scotty Kilmer and a four year old Explorer as sources.
LOL I'm still going with 2.3, but it's just opinions at this point. Won't know anything concrete until a few years out.

But, it's mostly because i want a manual

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll say it again: Ford should have just lied and called them V8s and left off the displacement. The power is there and there are videos of the 4-door manual just walking up an obstacle...I can't remember where I saw that video, though...it was some really cool forum with a bunch of people going insane...

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

below chart shows the ford Bronco 2.3 manual to be 4499 to 4997 lbs. Quick google search on ranger shows weight to be 3900 to 4400 lbs. So I guess we're both correct. 500 and or up to 1000 lb weight difference. Sure hope it doesn't tank gas mileage and performance. Thanks for posting back.
Iā€™ve got the 2.3 Ranger Crew cab which lists around 4400 lbs. The four door Bronco Iā€™m assuming is with soft top. Hard too will add a little weight but Iā€™m betting all in less than 500 lbs difference than my Ranger (assuming the MT). Iā€™m telling you that engine has power and pep. I think it will be fine for you. I want the MT but want the Squatch package so I doubt they will offer that (still holding out hope). Anyway if they donā€™t and I have to settle for AT I might as well go up the 2.7.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes. It is enough for the Ranger. You can tow over 7000 pounds with the 2.3T in the Ranger. The Bronco with the 2.7TT is brutally fast, but the 2.3T does not feel underpowered. My daily driver is a Ranger with the 2.3T and my wife's daily driver is a Lincoln MKX with the 2.7TT. I have a ton of seat time with both motors.

Both are better than the Pentastar 3.6L.

O'Carroll

Black Diamond
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camry SE
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My girlfriends 4 door hard top Jeep has the turbo 4 (2.0 maybe?), and it is plenty quick and gets up and goes around town and on the highway for me--which is how Iā€™ll use the Bronco as well. I expect the 2.3L with either transmission to be even better.
Sponsored