Sponsored

Is the 2.7L V6 a new engine or established?

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did poke around the forums a bit for an answer on this but did not come across it. I apologize if this information is out there and I did not find it. There is a lot more information, oddly, on the 2.3L 4 cyl.

Is this an established motor that has been running on other ford vehicles for some time, or is this a new eng they are making for the Bronco? I am always hesitant on new technologies in vehicles not being reliable. Sometimes it takes auto makers a few generations to really nail the tech - at least in my experience.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7 Ecoboost had been running in the F-150 for a few years now, I think it's in the Edge ST as well?
So, not a new engine, same for the 10-speed.
I am sure it will be tuned different from the other platforms.

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It’s an established f-150 engine. 1st gen came out in 2015, revised to 2nd gen 2018 (added port injection in addition to the direct injection and minor tweaks).

Aside from some of the 1st gens having a bad oil pan seal (thankfully mine is not among them) they are well regarded as pretty bullet-proof power plants.

EcobeastRyan

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 fusion se
Your Bronco Model
Base
Also on the fusion sport, Taurus and explorer

Sponsored

BD1

Badlands
First Name
BD1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How about the 10 speed auto trans? How new and any issues?

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How about the 10 speed auto trans? How new and any issues?
It's been in Fords and Chevy's for a few years now and has proven to be very solid. They are holding up to the Mustang and the ZL1 Camaros. Some say it's shifts a little strange for a few thousands miles until it learns your driving style. Our F-150s at work have them and it's very nice.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the 2.7EB and 10sp in my current F150 and it is the best all around power train I have ever owned and maybe the best I have ever driven (an early 2000s M3 in-line 6/manual trans combo being the only other I can recall being better). Second 2.7 and never a hiccup with either.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have a 19 F150 3.5 A10, its flawless, the 2.7 from the 2018+ camp seem to be indestructible hence why I am getting a 2.7. usually takes 2 year cycle to get the kinks out of a newer gen engine. i dont think you can go wrong with either Bronco engine, they are both proven.

6010Head

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Jeep Jk Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm thankful the 2.7 does not have the same cam phasers as the 3.5

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007LarietCC4x4, 2018FocusTit, 2016Jeep reneTH
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have the 2.7EB and 10sp in my current F150 and it is the best all around power train I have ever owned and maybe the best I have ever driven (an early 2000s M3 in-line 6/manual trans combo being the only other I can recall being better). Second 2.7 and never a hiccup with either.
Straight six went on forever great engines. I'm not a fan of any v engine. Just no room under the hood for six cylinders in line unfortunately. I froze one up on a long hill under load had it towed stuck it in my garage and it sat for over a year. Then i figured it was time to pull the engine and rebuild it but decided for fun to see if it would start. Started right up and she went back to work for a couple of more years before i sold her. That was late 80's
Sponsored