Sponsored

Is the 2.7L V6 a new engine or established?

GYMEBronco22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 19 F150 3.5 A10, its flawless, the 2.7 from the 2018+ camp seem to be indestructible hence why I am getting a 2.7. usually takes 2 year cycle to get the kinks out of a newer gen engine. i dont think you can go wrong with either Bronco engine, they are both proven.
I was very concerned about Ford using the F150 2.7 in the new Bronco, but you say the 2018+ engine is a good one, which leads me to believe Ford have addressed the well known cold start smoking problems they had.

I have a 2.7 2017 F150 (Nov 2016 build) with less then 50k and its been smoking on cold start for the last few months. After new turbo/seals and heads, it's now doing an oil consumption test, after which the dealer told me to expect a new engine!

Hopefully these problems have been rectified for the Bronco. Does anyone know for sure what engine upgrades have been made or is Ford using the same F150 engine?
Sponsored

Bauer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was very concerned about Ford using the F150 2.7 in the new Bronco, but you say the 2018+ engine is a good one, which leads me to believe Ford have addressed the well known cold start smoking problems they had.

I have a 2.7 2017 F150 (Nov 2016 build) with less then 50k and its been smoking on cold start for the last few months. After new turbo/seals and heads, it's now doing an oil consumption test, after which the dealer told me to expect a new engine!

Hopefully these problems have been rectified for the Bronco. Does anyone know for sure what engine upgrades have been made or is Ford using the same F150 engine?
Well.. you can buy the engine block heater option for $100.

Gquag

Badlands
First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1936 Ford Pickup
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did poke around the forums a bit for an answer on this but did not come across it. I apologize if this information is out there and I did not find it. There is a lot more information, oddly, on the 2.3L 4 cyl.

Is this an established motor that has been running on other ford vehicles for some time, or is this a new eng they are making for the Bronco? I am always hesitant on new technologies in vehicles not being reliable. Sometimes it takes auto makers a few generations to really nail the tech - at least in my experience.

Thanks in advance.
There are a few bolt on Mods which can increase your HP around 40 to 60hp and improve your air flow and exhaust flow which in turn can improve your MPG.. And then tuning its a bit $$ depending.
I watched a few youtube videos

GYMEBronco22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well.. you can buy the engine block heater option for $100.
Just to clarify - when I say cold start I mean the engine is cold - not the air temperature is cold. An engine heater wouldn't do anything to address the smoking issue.

Sponsored

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are a few bolt on Mods which can increase your HP around 40 to 60hp and improve your air flow and exhaust flow which in turn can improve your MPG.. And then tuning its a bit $$ depending.
I watched a few youtube videos
I have the 2.3 in my Ranger and I have a Livernois tune. It was $500 and you receive every tune they have, currently 5. The 91-93 performance tune adds 80 hp and 100 lbs torque. You can flash back to stock in 2-3 minutes for when you're off roading. There is no better bang for your buck than this as you won't get this add hp by adding an exhaust.

I'll be adding this to my 2.7 Bronco as soon as they come out with one. Also they give you free tunes for life so if you sell your vehicle you just send them your MyCal tuner and they reprogram it to your new vehicle.

Toaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLUR, ā€˜19 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove an Edge ST (has the 2.7L) for a bit and it really is an awesome little engine. I highly doubt youā€™ll run into any issues with it, Ford has got the EcoBoost figured out now. Iā€™m quite excited to see how the power translates from the ST to the Bronco in regards to the 35ā€™s mine will be rolling. Either way Iā€™m fully confident that I wonā€™t have to worry about any engine issues and you shouldnā€™t worry either :)

jdub.csu

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester, 2020 Honda, 2015 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2018+ 2.7 engine is fantastic. The pre 18s had some issues that was fixed with the direct port injection and some other minor changes.
The 2.3 is also proven... but I wouldnā€™t buy it because it is currently direct injection only and carbon deposits become a problem. That is one of the ecoboost engines that still needs that update.

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

2.7 was updated in 2018

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The 2.7L was designed from the ground up as a boosted engine. This is unique to that engine, as all the other EcoBoosts are derivatives of engines Ford developed or co-developed as NA engines.

Ford spent a lot of energy on the details, and I think it is a great engine. CGI Block, offset piston rods, fracture cracked mains cast with the engine. Lots of high tech, high strength features. In my mind, they effectively built a diesel that runs on gasoline. I think the thought was that if they were going to put a small displacement turbo in the F-150, it better be overbuilt, as it will likely get overworked.

"The bearing caps, also in CGI, are laser-etched at an angle, Waszczenko explained. The specific angle creates a wedge effect that when the sections are merely set together, the engine actually would be able to run without the cap bolts."

Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was in my MKX that the lease just ended. I had the AWD with the 2.7L and when in sport mode, it was a bullet. It would keep pulling through 70mph. No question I'm getting the 2.7L in the Bronco.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You donā€™t want a GDI engine. Get the 2.7L.

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, 22 Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Did they do the oil line TSB, we've had a couple with that issue (LOTS of smoke after starting when its been sitting 48 hours or more), was an oil line to the turbo that fixed them.
Sponsored