MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Xterra; 04 Element; 06 Sentra; 10 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you plan on keeping the Bronco as a daily driver over 10+ years, is an extended warranty worth it?

I expect my Badlands, Sas, Lux Bronco at the end of the month. The last new vehicle I bought was a Honda Odyssey and drove it for 16 years to 275k when the transmission blew. I did not buy an extended warranty. I do maintain my vehicles. I have never had vehicle this nice nor have I ever spent this much on a vehicle.
Sponsored

Reactions: GAN

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you plan on keeping the Bronco as a daily driver over 10+ years, is an extended warranty worth it?

I expect my Badlands, Sas, Lux Bronco at the end of the month. The last new vehicle I bought was a Honda Odyssey and drove it for 16 years to 275k when the transmission blew. I did not buy an extended warranty. I do maintain my vehicles. I have never had vehicle this nice nor have I ever spent this much on a vehicle.
In your case, if you're planning on keeping it for the long haul, I could see how you'd be drawn to an extended warranty. Realize you have time to purchase it and don't need to do it when you buy the vehicle. I believe you have up to the point the initial warranty runs out (3 yrs 36,000 miles). If I'm incorrect, I'm sure someone will correct me shortly.

I'm confident you have time to test those waters. I will be waiting to purchase an extended warranty until after I've owned it for awhile. When I do buy one, I'll contact Granger to do it. They have the best or one of the best deals on the extended plans. Good luck.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I keep my vehicles for around 10 years, this past weekend I sold my Wrangler purchased in September 2011. I excessively maintain them and don't think I'll ever take advantage of an extended warranty. If you do, make sure it covers all potential parts that may fail. Most extended warranties don't cover some electronics, top, and other fail prone items.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My previous jeep wrangler was a 2013. At around 90k miles it developed the typical valvetrain clatter. Ext warranty covered the $2500 repair and all I owed was $200 deductible. Fast forward a year later it turned 100k and the engine started pouring oil back into the intake.. Broke a piston ring. Again warranty covered it. $14k for a reman oem long block. I ended up paying $600 for the deductible, plugs, and few misc things it needed but wasnt covered. That warranty cost me $2200 so it more than paid for itself.

Last edited:

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I keep my vehicles for around 10 years, this past weekend I sold my Wrangler purchased in September 2011. I excessively maintain them and don't think I'll ever take advantage of an extended warranty. If you do, make sure it covers all potential parts that may fail. Most extended warranties don't cover some electronics, top, and other fail prone items.
They have different coverage options.. most people cheap out and just get powertrain forgetting about the electronics which includes alternators, starters, etc. Those and AC are not part of powertrain.

Reactions: GAN

Sponsored

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan on keeping mine for a very long time. $1,600 when you spend $60,000 on a vehicle seems like pretty cheap insurance. I will note I have never bought en extended warranty on anything, but being a first year model and again, such a large ticket item, I did.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is the ultimate gamble.

Warranties are designed to earn the seller money. So the odds of needing it are not in your favor. However, just like insurance, if you need it, it is a good deal. I have gotten several extended warranties in the past and have never needed it.

For my Bronco, I decided to put the cost of the warranty into a savings account and see if I use that amount for the final 40,000 miles / 4 years I likely would have bought.

Remember, you already get a 3 yr, 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Plus you get a 5yr, 60000 mile power train warranty (extra 2 yr, 24k mile on top of the bumper to bumper).

So if you want to get coverage from year 5 to year 7, 8, 10 / and that extra 20k, 30k 50k additional miles, go for it.

I will point out there are some dealerships who claim "abuse" if an off-road vehicle stops working if they see some dirt so they don't have to get paid warranty rates - so be sure you have a reliable dealer / repair person to use.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on the manufacturer, I’d recommend the warranty as the standard is only 3yr/36K which could leave you with a big repair while still paying.

Would also suggest getting your warranty at time of purchase because it’s cheaper than the amount in full cash 3 years from now and you can finance it.

Don‘t get me wrong, I think Ford are solid engine manufacturers, but they tend to not be very reliable. So, if I were getting a Toyota with their 17 year old tech such as with a Taco or 4 Runner; no, I would not get the warranty. However, with my 2.7, known issues, and plan to also keep until it is taken out back and then shot; yes I have no regrets getting the warranty. Even if I never use it, I’ve used them in the past including a replaced engine in a BMW which saved about $20K a few years back. Enjoyed that truck and would buy it again. Same for this Bronco; something happens, fine, still love the Bronco and feel the 2.7 is some amazing engineering.

Also, you can haggle the cost of warranties.

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

In your case, if you're planning on keeping it for the long haul, I could see how you'd be drawn to an extended warranty. Realize you have time to purchase it and don't need to do it when you buy the vehicle. I believe you have up to the point the initial warranty runs out (3 yrs 36,000 miles). If I'm incorrect, I'm sure someone will correct me shortly.

I'm confident you have time to test those waters. I will be waiting to purchase an extended warranty until after I've owned it for awhile. When I do buy one, I'll contact Granger to do it. They have the best or one of the best deals on the extended plans. Good luck.
This is correct, but the price goes up after the first 12k miles or year whichever occurs first. The warranty starts the day the vehicle was initially purchased.

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

If a Ford was built like a Honda I'd probably pass on an extended warranty, but ...

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'll get it. Never had a ford that made it to 60k without needing something done to it. Contact Granger, they have the best deal. I plan on getting it in a month when I pick up my rig.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Quick tip. Don’t get tricked into buying the dealership extended warranty. Too many loop holes and expensive. Buy from Ford, Ford Protect then you can track things in ford pass.

Brian’sBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands/17 Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve bought extended warranties for the last 5 used vehicles I’ve bought and not used them once, though I have a feeling the Range Rover is going to break that streak. My point is it’s good insurance and if it’s cheap enough then really just part of the cost of ownership. As my Bronco will probably only see 5-6k miles a year and the planned mods I’m going to pass on the ESP and roll the dice Ford has this thing figured out three years in to production.

Shawn of the Dead

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Focus, 4 motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I got there best one they had when I picked up my Wildtrak. !0 year/100K and it covers every component , electronics, windshield, wheels and tires.

I have bought multiple vehicles from this dealer and actually trust the front office. The service people are not the greatest but they are far from the worst I have seen.

Overall I just think it was worth it. I have used extended warranties in the past and they paid for themselves.
Sponsored