Sponsored

Is the Ford Installed Winch Flat Towing Compatible?

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know if a Bronco with a Ford installed Warn winch can be flat towed? It appears to me that the winch might get in the way of the tow bars. I’ll be flat towing a lot behind my diesel pusher.
Sponsored

Datoad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Jeep LJ Rubicon, 17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t know if it is or not But I’m sure the aftermarket will turn out bumpers With integrated winch mounts that will allow tow bars as soon as they get the Broncos that I assume they have reservations for.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It seems from appearances that there may be different base plates required for standard, modular and winch equipped vehicles.

A question I posted on another thread:

I know there will be base plates available from Blue Ox et al, but I tend to go my own way. Models with the Modular Bumpers have D Ring mounts and most tow bar manufacturers have D Ring adapters. But the D Ring mounts are quite high, requiring quite a lift on my motorhome hitch. Looking at trims without modular bumpers they have a low mounted tow loop that would be about the right hitch height. Any guesses if this would be stout enough for a tow bar mount? It's stout enough to yank the rig out of a mud hole right?

Trying to decide if I should opt for the modular bumper, I like the looks and the D Ring potential, but the standard bumper set up looks more adaptable to towing.

Ford Bronco Is the Ford Installed Winch Flat Towing Compatible? 1606629032223

The lower loop is in the lower left of the photo, the D Ring mount is on the end of the frame horn.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm ordering the modular bumper on our OBX with plans to tow using the D ring brackets. Looking at pictures I believe there will be room with the winch installed. Our motorhome hitch is pretty high.
I tow a 2-door Wrangler using the D ring brackets on a Warn bumper now and will have to get a heavier tow bar to tow the 4-door OBX.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm ordering the modular bumper on our OBX with plans to tow using the D ring brackets. Looking at pictures I believe there will be room with the winch installed. Our motorhome hitch is pretty high.
I tow a 2-door Wrangler using the D ring brackets on a Warn bumper now and will have to get a heavier tow bar to tow the 4-door OBX.
I've been studying the bumpers/frame to predict towability, haven't come to a conclusion yet. I think the D ring mounts would work fine (don't know about winch compatibility). They come with the modular and I believe can be added to the standard bumper. For my application I think they are too high, maybe 24-28". My current set up is 20" off the ground. It appears that the tow loops on the base bumper are about this height, I just have to see if I can replace them with tow bar brackets. Then I would add D Ring mounts up high for safety chains and D Rings for mud holes.
Ford Bronco Is the Ford Installed Winch Flat Towing Compatible? 2021Bronco_Series_BASE

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know if a Bronco with a Ford installed Warn winch can be flat towed? It appears to me that the winch might get in the way of the tow bars. I’ll be flat towing a lot behind my diesel pusher.
I don’t know the first thing about flat towing, but I do think I know that the ford winch attaches to the frame where the shackle mount. Both the Modular and the capable bumper leave this area open. The base bumper covers it up.

Ford Bronco Is the Ford Installed Winch Flat Towing Compatible? A890008C-2D90-4A82-A0AB-8401EE77FCF5
Ford Bronco Is the Ford Installed Winch Flat Towing Compatible? 38E1DE0C-02E0-459C-8C75-0C100EDDDA1B
Ford Bronco Is the Ford Installed Winch Flat Towing Compatible? 9B9A11DD-919B-42C3-8BA6-F290A86660C9

Ford Bronco Is the Ford Installed Winch Flat Towing Compatible? 9EB3163A-89DA-4149-B73B-3C1CC3B4CF2C

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did a close look at the Auto Show in OKC. Both units had winches mounted.
Upon close inspection the end plates on the winch are just a covers. Looks like there is enough room for the Blue Ox adapter to fit, would not be a issue to trim off some ot the end plate if necessary.
The biggie is the D ring mounts are at least 1 1/8 inch thick. The Blue Ox adapters have a 1 inch opening for both 7/8" and 1" pin.
I will have my calipers with me when I go to the Tulsa Auto Show. There will Two Bronco there probably the same two that were at OKC.
Sponsored