Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi @LethalPerformance

I have a question regarding the tune and the requirement to run 91-93 octane to achieve the HP and torque gains. I understand the need to run the premium fuel to observe those gains but what happens if you run 87? Will the engine management control simply regress the timing and other parameters it changes like a stock engine and maintain the stock HP when you are using 87 gas? (which would be good if this is how works)Or, will this engine run the risk of pre-ignition/detonation with this tune on 87 gas? Thanks in advance.
Middleton(?) did track times before and after the Ford Performance tune, the 2.3 performance the same to worse on regular octane.
Sponsored

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Okay, the ā€œdead horseā€ DORF ā€œsaidā€ it wanted to try the Lethal Performance Ford Perf 2.3L tune.. DORF says itā€™s Does Not like Ford Techs and would leave it up to me.. We have a transmission check on 4-4- 2023 to see WHY transmission shifts up dropping engine to 1300 rpm ( engine canā€™t push at that rpm ) . Someone has control of the transmissions behavior.. We hope the techs, we donā€™t trust, can work this out.. If they canā€™t, Iā€™m to call FORD again and ask for more help.. Takes a long time to get things looked at or fixed in Alaska.. šŸ¤£šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡øšŸš—

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi @LethalPerformance

I have a question regarding the tune and the requirement to run 91-93 octane to achieve the HP and torque gains. I understand the need to run the premium fuel to observe those gains but what happens if you run 87? Will the engine management control simply regress the timing and other parameters it changes like a stock engine and maintain the stock HP when you are using 87 gas? (which would be good if this is how works)Or, will this engine run the risk of pre-ignition/detonation with this tune on 87 gas? Thanks in advance.
I have this same question. Once tuned, do you lose the flexibility to run Regular (87 octane) gas?

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hi @LethalPerformance

You can indeed run 87 and your vehicle will adjust to a less aggressive timing table until better fuel is sensed. Once higher octane fuel is sensed and no knock is detected it will adjust the timing table back to where it should be. Adaptive octane with the calibration works just like it does from the factory.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You can indeed run 87 and your vehicle will adjust to a less aggressive timing table until better fuel is sensed. Once higher octane fuel is sensed and no knock is detected it will adjust the timing table back to where it should be. Adaptive octane with the calibration works just like it does from the factory.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
Awesome that is good and important to know because If I have this tune I know for certain that my better half will eventually fill the tank with 87 !

Sponsored

ElBlamo

Raptor
First Name
Tylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Superduty, Mustang, Expedition, Flex
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hey there!

I'd highly recommend the Ford Performance calibration on a 2.7L for the transmission tuning alone. It is far more crisp and the power gains are noticeable. We offer the tuners for $695 and they are in stock.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/f...ry-tool-2021-2022-bronco-2-7l-m-9603-b27.html

I'd highly recommend checking out Buckle Up Buttercup for her review (albeit a 2.3L) as well!

Let us know if we can assist.
Lethal Performance, are there any plans to put out a video comparing the Ford Performance Tune, Roush Tune, JP4, and Whipple stage 1? I know I would benefit greatly from the information compiled into one video to make the decision on which to spend on. Iā€™m torn between the Whipple and the Ford Performance as of now, but plan to install the Whipple intercooler regardless.

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Okay Group, not to beat a dead ā€œBroncoā€ to death.. Is it better to have the ProCal installed by a Ford Dealer or buy the device, download, and tune your Bronco.. I say this because I canā€™t get confirmation that either of the Ford Dealers have much experience.. Iā€™m an engineer, mechanic Iā€™m pretty sure I can get it right
j

Yeah itā€™s a simple process. No reason not to do it yourself. Iā€™ve flashed the tune in every vehicle Iā€™ve had in the past 6 or 8 years, except for my X5. Only way to get the M Performance on that was the dealer. But if I could have done it myself I would have šŸ˜

Jjt24

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Okay Group, not to beat a dead ā€œBroncoā€ to death.. Is it better to have the ProCal installed by a Ford Dealer or buy the device, download, and tune your Bronco.. I say this because I canā€™t get confirmation that either of the Ford Dealers have much experience.. Iā€™m an engineer, mechanic Iā€™m pretty sure I can get it right
It's very easy, flashed my mustang a few times. Only issue is the factory warranty, supposedly voidable if not flashed at a Ford dealer.

bigblockfox545

Black Diamond
First Name
jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 FOX 2009 M3 2008 STI 2005 F350 2018 OB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford racing website says premium fuel required. If you really want to run 87 don't get the tune.

The whole point of the tune is to use the upgrade in octane to make more power.

When you put the wrong octane in with the tune the ecu will rely on on the knock sensors to pull timing. Knock = bad.

If your easy on the go pedal you will probably be fine. If you want to give it the beans because you just dropped 1k plus on a tune then minimum 91.

Exoboost engines get better fuel economy with higher octane fuels.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Already running 94 Octane.. She is ready to be tuned.. Torso additive 32oz ;+ 20 gallons of 90 octane gas.. Got 22.1 mpg on first tank ful.. šŸ‘šŸ¼

Sponsored

jolson1228

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's very easy, flashed my mustang a few times. Only issue is the factory warranty, supposedly voidable if not flashed at a Ford dealer.
Vehicle warranties are not "voidable" for using aftermarket parts thanks to the Magnuson-Moss act, which regulates written warranties. Your warranty claim may be denied if Ford were to prove that your aftermarket upgrade, while functioning properly, caused the failure that started the warranty claim.

It would likely be difficult for Ford to deny a claim for the FPP Tune, as it's developed by them and if functioning properly, should not cause early failures in the engine.

Also, if they did deny a warranty claim for use of the FPP tune, the Magnuson-Moss act provides for Attorney fees for any breach of warranty. So if you were to take them to court (and win) Ford would be on the hook for the legal fees on top of repairs.

All that is to say, if you want to pay Ford to instal it for peace of mind, there's nothing wrong with that. If you're confident you can do it yourself (which is an easy process) you can install it yourself without losing your warranty. It all depends on your comfort level.

"According to the Act, an automobile manufacturer cannot void your vehicle warranty due to the installation of aftermarket parts. Unless the aftermarket part that caused the vehicle failure or contributed to it (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C))."

Here's a quick read on the Magnuson-Moss act as well as the FTC link if you'd like to read the whole thing:

https://lloydsautomotive.net/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-magnuson-moss-act/

https://www.ftc.gov/legal-library/b...nty-federal-trade-commission-improvements-act

CatMonkey

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2012 Shelby GT500, 2021 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have yet to find where Ford requires a dealer to download and setup the calibration in our Broncos. Things can go wrong when you're flashing a tune. If you inadvertently disconnect the tuner while it's doing its thing, you can brick the PCM. Ford is not likely to warranty that. But looking at the Ford Performance Parts website, the instructions for the ProCal and the warranty info, I see no mention of any requirement to have a Ford tech install the calibration for Ford to warranty it. I'm just not seeing it. Beyond that bigger intercoolers, cold air intakes and downpipes used with the calibration will result in a voided warranty.

The Maguson Moss Act does not go as far as you think it does. It only covers replacement parts that are original to the car, if they're not manufactured by Ford.

Warranty info

Attachments

STING555

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the FP tune on my 2.7.

The Bronco is even more fun to drive with the extra giddy up. The shifting is more noticeable. Itā€™s fun to feel the auto transmission changing gears.

Overall, the changes are noticeable, but mild.

Gas mileage is more or less the same as before.

I donā€™t feel like the tune is going to hurt the truck. It doesnā€™t cost an arm and a leg, and itā€™s super easy to install.

Do it and donā€™t look back.
Sponsored