Sponsored

Is the new Bronco a "classless" vehicle?

DrKennethNoisewater

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 razor scooter
Your Bronco Model
Base
The guys who will be paying $1k or more each month are obviously at a higher pay grade than myself, and thus a higher rank in the Bronco class system, lol.
Careful with this line of thinking. Personally, if I know somebody is paying a $1k/month car payment, I'm not putting them in the "must be a high income baller" bucket. These days with insane 84 month financing, there's a whole lot of people who buy a whole lot of car because they "can." Not trying to get preachy, just saying it's almost impossible to determine a person's financial situation by the car in their driveway.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco, like Wrangler is for a very specific enthusiast, one who likes a newer, topless, doorless 4x4, Those are the only current choices and people of all different walks of life want that. Just look at this Board. Hardcore early Bronco people, to Rock crawlers and mall crawlers. If you want a topless, doorless 4x4, you will deal with average road handling, heavy weight, somewhat slow, uncomfortable seat, limited cargo/storage vehicle. Regardless of what you plan to do with it, Which trim level or how much of strain or easy purchase it is, we are all the same in that the main topless, doorless, 4x4 attributes of the Bronco are important to us. For this we are enthusiasts. I’ve had other very enthusiast oriented vehicles, Nissan 350z, Subaru STis and I think this forum has the same vibe. Just like the Bronco, those cars aren’t a “need to have” We want them!

Beef78

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus and 71 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think this will be true in a few years. For the first year or two, it will mostly be enthusiasts. Then, once used cars are available and the price comes down, budget minded people from all classes will buy it.

fpGT350

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Viper RT/10; 09 AMG C63; 18 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Interesting to note price differences from yesteryear. There is a wide price range between the 2021 base Bronco at $30,000 and the First Edition at $60,000.

50 years ago you could purchase a brand new V8 1970 Bronco for $3,600. That translates into an inflation adjusted price of $24,040 today. The ultra expensive Baja edition cost $5,566 which translates into $37,168 today.

Everyone will be paying far more for the 2021 than the Gen 1 cost in inflation adjusted terms.

Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Unfortunately I don't think it is. Not counting base model enthusiast spec (base, squatch, AT) or a straight up base model, you're not walking out the door with a new bronco for under 38-40k for a spec that your average non-enthusiast buyer would consider acceptable in a new vehicle.

That's a lot of cash when you can buy an econobox for 22k (becoming more popular with the younger generation that doesn't drive as much).

Obviously the enthusiasts are excited about it, but the new Bronco is being HEAVILY marketed to the 22-30 age group of certain economic classes. Was very surprised when my girlfriend mentioned to me she saw an instagram ad for the new bronco a day after reveal, and at a family reunion recently, 4 aged 22-30 family members all mentioned the Bronco at some point or another (not enthusiasts). The wrangler is a status symbol in the 22-30 age group and Ford is going after that big time with Bronco, can't blame them.

IMO we won't see Bronco as a classless vehicle for at least a decade or so -- Jeep has a continuous run of model years to where everyone can find a wrangler at their pricepoint. Not the case for Bronco, yet

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Obviously the enthusiasts are excited about it, but the new Bronco is being HEAVILY marketed to the 22-30 age group of certain economic classes.
Marketing 101; solely go after the 'young adult' demographic, and you still effectively reach everyone. Because everyone is either young, wishes they were young, or are young at heart.

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
Careful with this line of thinking. Personally, if I know somebody is paying a $1k/month car payment, I'm not putting them in the "must be a high income baller" bucket. These days with insane 84 month financing, there's a whole lot of people who buy a whole lot of car because they "can." Not trying to get preachy, just saying it's almost impossible to determine a person's financial situation by the car in their driveway.
I said that line with a certain amount of snark implied. I realize many people live outside their means. I just try not to.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hmmm, I had to think about this. Any mods I do on my cars are for function. I can give two sh*tz about what people think. Besides, it is about my family and my Jeep buddies on weekends. Yeah, I expect to get crap from them, but that is different...
And there it is. I also really don't care what others drive, or how they mod them. It's their vehicle, and it's their money. IMHO whether a car/truck is, or isn't classless depends on the personality of the owner. If the owner is a shit-bird so is the car, and vice-versa.

Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You're wrong about what Jeeps say about you, I've seen some pretty cringy Jeeps, and I judge the hell out of the owners. "Your" choice of stupid ass accessories say a lot about you...

Not necessarily on topic, but I figured relevant :)

EDIT: And I'm afraid to say, this Bronco will be about the same, based on the number of posts in some of the threads...
So true. I don’t judge the vehicle, because it those accessories... they are a whole different story.

We call them bro accessories.

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
You're wrong about what Jeeps say about you, I've seen some pretty cringy Jeeps, and I judge the hell out of the owners. "Your" choice of stupid ass accessories say a lot about you...

Not necessarily on topic, but I figured relevant :)

EDIT: And I'm afraid to say, this Bronco will be about the same, based on the number of posts in some of the threads...
I agree. I judge hard on tire wall to rim size ratio. Lifted rigs on 22 inch rims and relatively low profile tires are DISGUSTING. I’d rather drive a new Camry.

NewtoOffroading

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And there it is. I also really don't care what others drive, or how they mod them. It's their vehicle, and it's their money. IMHO whether a car/truck is, or isn't classless depends on the personality of the owner. If the owner is a shit-bird so is the car, and vice-versa.
I wish I didn't have to care about what my vehicle said about me but I work in a corporate environment where everyone judges everyone else car. I would love to do a 2 door sasquatch in orange but I couldn't imagine parking it next to all my bosses' cars who drive a variety of black sedans. I'm not saying I have to base my whole vehicle around other's perceptions but it is definitely something I have to consider.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I do believe just the Bronco nameplate alone makes this a classless vehicle. It's a vehicle rich in American history that the everyday American could afford when it first came out in the 60s. The entry level of $28,500 for the Base today makes the Bronco approachable for a wide swath of income earners, especially with the longer-term loans available today. Even more lower income earners will be able to pick one of these up used in a year or two after their launch. Personally, I try not to judge someone's economic class by the vehicle they drive. Why? Because even though I can afford a Badlands or a Wildtrak with my family's level of income, I honestly don't need all of those high-tech bells and whistles that come on the higher trims. The colors I'm interested in are offered on the Big Bend and the Base. The capability I want is offered on every trim level with the Sasquatch package. I don't need rubber floors or vinyl seats. I go offroad in the woods when I hunt whitetail or go camping, but I don't take my vehicles swimming in the water. Personally, I will be happy to see an American icon back on the roads again, no matter whose driving it, how much they make, or how they have it customized (unless they put Rockstars on it lol). If someone wants to put a Grumpr grill on it because they think it looks cool, more power to them. It's their vehicle. Just like differences between people is a good thing, differences between one person's Bronco and another's is good too.
Sponsored