Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla '18 M3 Perf & '22 MY Perf, '19 MX-5 Club,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You mean a rig YOU can't get in the next 2 years? I should have mine by September. At least Rivian provided a July-Sept timeframe for delivery, whereas Ford has provided no guidance whatsoever as to when my day 1 reservation will be fulfilled.

A rig you definitely won't be able to get in the next 2 years... It seems like they're competing for the exact same buyers. People who want something they can't have haha
Sponsored

Maine Explorer

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You mean a rig YOU can't get in the next 2 years? I should have mine by September. At least Rivian provided a July-Sept timeframe for delivery, whereas Ford has provided no guidance whatsoever as to when my day 1 reservation will be fulfilled.
Well that's awesome! Congrats and good for you. Looks like a great truck hope you love it!

Also definitely not a Bronco competitor, anything you can actually purchase isn't a Bronco competitor.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd say its more competition for the Ranger and setting the Ranger up as an overlander. The slide out kitchen option definitely speaks to that.

The biggest drawback and they only thing preventing it from achieving that is there is currently no way to take a reserve of fuel. You can carry a roto-pack with extra gas in it, can't carry a roto-pack of extra electrons.

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, the Rivian certainly got a lot of attention and went everywhere the Broncos did Sunday! The video clip missed the gnarly part of the climb, but several vehicles, including Broncos had to take more than one try to make it.
Ford Bronco Is the Rivian Bronco competition? 1643045942958

Ford Bronco Is the Rivian Bronco competition? 1643046155630

EStepCG2022

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Splitting hairs. You are funny. Fact is electric vehicles are no better and in some cases worse for the environment. The original argument that fossil fuel burning for electricity made an electric car “cleaner” than an ICE which is total horseshit. 58% of 29% is 16.8% which is lower than the 25% electricity generation accounts for. As for your other polluting factors. Let’s take in to account the eco damage rare earth mining does ohh yeah then there is that whole toxic materiel in the battery thing and my favorite is the argument it cost less to own which isn’t true. Electric vehicles have their merit but have equally as many detriments. The fact the government has to subsidize their cost to make them somewhat affordable is comical. I’m all for saving the planet but do so in a way that makes sense and is responsible. Shoving some half baked product consumers don’t want (wouldnt have to be subsidies if they did) when you don’t have the infrastructure to support it is the definition of stupidity. Why not build the infrastructure, allow private industry to work out the kinks and get the cost down and see where it goes.
Why would consumers not want a vehicle that costs less to operate, is faster, and has a future? The subsidies are only for a companies first 200k vehicles sold, so it's more for hitting the ground running and pushing people to new, unfamiliar companies. And saying they cost less to own isn't true is just absurd. They absolutely do cost less to own. Less maintenance, virtually no operational cost, and even things like tires and brakes wear at a slower rate. Are they perfect? Absolutely not, but are they perfect as a daily commuter? Pretty much.

Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Say the R1S vs Bronco no. The R1S is more of competition for the Explorer as it's not a off road vehicle. Just an SUV, with an off road tire option and air suspension.

The R1T would compete with full size pick up trucks like the F150 Lighting.

So the Rivian is not competition for the Bronco. Also because of the price. You could get two Badlands for one R1T with the extended range battery.

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Say the R1S vs Bronco no. The R1S is more of competition for the Explorer as it's not a off road vehicle. Just an SUV, with an off road tire option and air suspension.

So the Rivian is not competition for the Bronco. Also because of the price. You could get two Badlands for one R1T with the extended range battery.
You might want to watch one wheel around a bit. It went everywhere the Broncos did, it was super impressive off road. It had proper all terrain tires. Three suspension modes, off road, normal and sport that radically changed the stance, approach and departure angles and gave it tons of ground clearance. I am not in the market for one, but you can see where it will be pretty darn competent as an off-road platform.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Why would consumers not want a vehicle that costs less to operate, is faster, and has a future? The subsidies are only for a companies first 200k vehicles sold, so it's more for hitting the ground running and pushing people to new, unfamiliar companies. And saying they cost less to own isn't true is just absurd. They absolutely do cost less to own. Less maintenance, virtually no operational cost, and even things like tires and brakes wear at a slower rate. Are they perfect? Absolutely not, but are they perfect as a daily commuter? Pretty much.
You realize most people can’t afford an electric vehicle. The subsidies aren’t for “hitting the ground running” as you put it and there is talk of implementing those subsidies across the board for everyone due to the cost of entry into EV’s being so high. I’ll put it to you this way. In the early 2000’s they projected EV to account for 20% of the market in 2020, guess what they were less than 5%. Why? Because the range is terrible, especially in cold weather, there isn’t substantial charging infrastructure as well as the grid is woefully underpowered. If this was a viable average consumer alternative you would see more of them. Guess what it’s not. Imagine if you live in an apartment and park on the street how do you charge? It’s 30 degrees when you leave for work. Your 270 mile range is suddenly 135. I could go on and on.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At the higher end of the segment, I know some people who passed over the Bronco to get a Rivian. I’m not sure it’s a huge draw from Bronco faithful.

EStepCG2022

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You realize most people can’t afford an electric vehicle. The subsidies aren’t for “hitting the ground running” as you put it and there is talk of implementing those subsidies across the board for everyone due to the cost of entry into EV’s being so high. I’ll put it to you this way. In the early 2000’s they projected EV to account for 20% of the market in 2020, guess what they were less than 5%. Why? Because the range is terrible, especially in cold weather, there isn’t substantial charging infrastructure as well as the grid is woefully underpowered. If this was a viable average consumer alternative you would see more of them. Guess what it’s not. Imagine if you live in an apartment and park on the street how do you charge? It’s 30 degrees when you leave for work. Your 270 mile range is suddenly 135. I could go on and on.
Had a Model 3 for the last 2 years and can definitely say the range does not decrease any noticeable amount in the cold. The model 3 starts in the 40s and when you reduce fuel cost, it's absolutely attainable to the average person. The cost of entry just isn't high. If the subsidies are designed to adjust for that cost, then why do they not apply to Tesla anymore?

Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You might want to watch one wheel around a bit. It went everywhere the Broncos did, it was super impressive off road. It had proper all terrain tires. Three suspension modes, off road, normal and sport that radically changed the stance, approach and departure angles and gave it tons of ground clearance. I am not in the market for one, but you can see where it will be pretty darn competent as an off-road platform.
true but it's still not a competitor. a dirt bike can pretty much go anywhere a jeep can as well, but you can't be comparing the two. but then again, could you compare an explorer with all terrains (forget the trim name) with a bronco? a jeep grand cherokee with a wrangler?

Chris S

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla '18 M3 Perf & '22 MY Perf, '19 MX-5 Club,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My R1S reservation is about $20K more than my BadSquatch order. Subtract $7500 tax credit from the Rivian, then more for fuel and maintenance savings (I get my electricity for charging overnight free), and it's not that big a gap in net cost.

Imagine if you live in an apartment and park on the street how do you charge? It’s 30 degrees when you leave for work. Your 270 mile range is suddenly 135. I could go on and on.
If you live in an apartment w/o access to overnight charging there, an EV may not a great choice. EV range drops in cold weather, but nowhere near 50%. Go on and on, if you want to find excuses to avoid an EV, you will. After nearly 2 1/2 years w/ my Model 3 Performance, I'd prefer to never revert back to ICE for a daily driver.

At the higher end of the segment, I know some people who passed over the Bronco to get a Rivian. I’m not sure it’s a huge draw from Bronco faithful.
I love both vehicles and plan to buy both of them. I'm not sure if I'll keep both or sell the "lesser" one after I can evaluate them side by side.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My buddy has one that looks similar. Interesting thing I found out is that he has to keep it stock for 2 years after purchase. Idk if that’s an employee thing or a early buyer thing but something to keep in mind when comparing.

We will be going out in a some trails this spring together so we will get a good comparison.

Alpha1_Silverback

Badlands
First Name
AARON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was rather impressive. Not a fan of the front end look but was capable for sure.

Ford Bronco Is the Rivian Bronco competition? 7D059203-7002-4731-9747-4EF64118DF84
Ford Bronco Is the Rivian Bronco competition? 31EFEA6D-F4ED-4884-AE2F-1A84E10340B1
Ford Bronco Is the Rivian Bronco competition? 0C688527-BE35-4A58-AF0F-1E06F0E05EAE
Ford Bronco Is the Rivian Bronco competition? 917FF346-7E7F-40CB-ABDE-A907F94A5C5B
Ford Bronco Is the Rivian Bronco competition? 37924169-FD96-4CFE-8885-3EC0133CFEDC
Sponsored