Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I understand the complaint and it would be nice to have greater towing capacity. Could it be a transmission issue identified during testing or just a better safe than sorry from Ford's perspective?
As far as we know the 2.3L and 10A are the same as what's in the Ranger which is rated for 7500lbs, so it won't be either of those. The 7M is also rated for a much higher TC (that I don't recall at this moment).
Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand the complaint and it would be nice to have greater towing capacity. Could it be a transmission issue identified during testing or just a better safe than sorry from Ford's perspective?
And now its not just the tow rating but the payload concern. If a loaded 4dr BL with hardtop & 2.7 comes in around 5300lbs that leaves 700lbs payload if theyre staying under 6k. With wife & 2dogs that leaves me with 250lbs free of payload which wouldn't get me even remotely close to a 3500lb trailer. Looks like Id be telling my wife to stay home as I head out with the camper & 2dogs lol. But rather than that, I’ll be forced to not move forward with any of my 3 bronco reservations.

Milamdj

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is a genuine question as I have no knowledge whatsoever on what is adequate towing capacity, but for months now I've seen many many complaints about the 3,500 lb max towing capacity for the bronco. All the comments made it seem like Ford really missed the mark on providing decent towing numbers, which has been my impression since spending time on the forums.

But now after doing some research and building a jeep wrangler for fun, it's come to my realization (if I know how to read correctly) that the Wrangler also has a max towing capacity of 3500 lbs? So wouldn't that make the Bronco directly in line with the competition? I realize the ranger itself is capable of a lot more when it comes to towing, but when it comes to comparing the Bronco as an off-road vehicle with a removable top to its direct competitor, it seems pretty on par. I think even all 2 door wranglers have a max of 2000 lbs, versus a Bronco 2 door at the same 3500 lbs.

Am I missing something? Please feel free to enlighten me, lol.
YUP. REALLY THAT BAD.

elnorte

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And now its not just the tow rating but the payload concern. If a loaded 4dr BL with hardtop & 2.7 comes in around 5300lbs that leaves 700lbs payload if theyre staying under 6k. With wife & 2dogs that leaves me with 250lbs free of payload which wouldn't get me even remotely close to a 3500lb trailer. Looks like Id be telling my wife to stay home as I head out with the camper & 2dogs lol. But rather than that, I’ll be forced to not move forward with any of my 3 bronco reservations.
What is the hardtop weight? I guess if the dogs behave and the weather is nice you could take off the doors and top. Joking. Yeah this isn't optimal.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We don't know for sure if the GVWR is 6k. That's been the going theory on here for weeks because Ford wants to keep it in the "small SUV" class to compete with Jeep.

If so, I'd feel like Ford kind of screwed that up. Most people utilizing the Bronco would like thr ability to pack for trips without having to pick their meals the night before carefully for fear of being overweight.

Sponsored

elnorte

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As far as we know the 2.3L and 10A are the same as what's in the Ranger which is rated for 7500lbs, so it won't be either of those. The 7M is also rated for a much higher TC (that I don't recall at this moment).
Would you suggest an aftermarket add that is higher rated?

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Would you suggest an aftermarket add that is higher rated?
I will hold out for a Class III. Even if you don't go above 3500 towing stability is better because you are attatched to the actual frame, not just a cross member...

elnorte

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will hold out for a Class III. Even if you don't go above 3500 towing stability is better because you are attatched to the actual frame, not just a cross member...
Thank you for your insight. - $595 :)

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't expect the rating of my F150, but how about matching my Explorer?
One thing I did notice in my 79 Bronc owners manual was up to 6000 with weight distr hitch. Does Ford make any mention of higher tow ratings with one on new bronc?

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/815670_1

Actually, after re-reading, weight distr hitch was "recommended". So as I've mentioned in the past, there is no reason Ford could not offer a 4 door 2.7 "towing" option that had the lowest lift, both sway bars, and maybe even a bit stiffer spring. Should be able to get 5000 easy if they could get 6000, 40 years ago.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We don't know for sure if the GVWR is 6k. That's been the going theory on here for weeks because Ford wants to keep it in the "small SUV" class to compete with Jeep.
Honest question here.... Who's the Official Authority who states that vehicles must be within the same GVWR to compete with each other?

I don't care if the Bronco was pushing the 7K GVWR, as for me, the Bronco would still be a Direct Competitor to the Jeep Wrangler.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Honest question here.... Who's the Official Authority who states that vehicles must be within the same GVWR to compete with each other?

I don't care if the Bronco was pushing the 7K GVWR, as for me, the Bronco would still be a Direct Competitor to the Jeep Wrangler.
Is it an emission thing to be below 6K GVWR? Does CGVWR play into emission these days?

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Is it an emission thing to be below 6K GVWR? Does CGVWR play into emission these days?
The 6k GVWR is set by federal code. Anything under 6k is a "small SUV" and anything over is a "standard SUV."

Jeeps all have a GVWR under 6k, and some things on the Ford Bronco site indicate that GVWR is a limiting factor in getting some accessories on the Bronco. So, I think people just assumed the relation. Otherwise, I havent seen anything official from Ford stating this.

Ford could choose to artificially limit the GVWR in any way that it wanted to, but I havent seen anything to indicate that or even what the official GVWR for the Bronco is.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

One thing I did notice in my 79 Bronc owners manual was up to 6000 with weight distr hitch. Does Ford make any mention of higher tow ratings with one on new bronc?

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/815670_1

Actually, after re-reading, weight distr hitch was "recommended". So as I've mentioned in the past, there is no reason Ford could not offer a 4 door 2.7 "towing" option that had the lowest lift, both sway bars, and maybe even a bit stiffer spring. Should be able to get 5000 easy if they could get 6000, 40 years ago.
Don't forget the 2.3L tows 7500lbs in the Ranger so it shouldn't need the 2.7L to tow 4-5k. Other components of the vehicle will govern far before the engine and transmission. Even the 7M is capable of towing more than 3500lbs based on Getrag's literature so it shouldn't even need the auto.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Don't forget the 2.3L tows 7500lbs in the Ranger so it shouldn't need the 2.7L to tow 4-5k. Other components of the vehicle will govern far before the engine and transmission. Even the 7M is capable of towing more than 3500lbs based on Getrag's literature so it shouldn't even need the auto.
If I was Ford and was going to the trouble of putting a specific package together for a higher tow rating, I would start with the larger engine no matter what the smaller engine might be allowed to do on paper. And that would be the 4 door, 2.7, auto, 31's max, minimum lift, and sway bars. No deviations allowed.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 6k GVWR is set by federal code. Anything under 6k is a "small SUV" and anything over is a "standard SUV."

Jeeps all have a GVWR under 6k, and some things on the Ford Bronco site indicate that GVWR is a limiting factor in getting some accessories on the Bronco. So, I think people just assumed the relation. Otherwise, I havent seen anything official from Ford stating this.

Ford could choose to artificially limit the GVWR in any way that it wanted to, but I havent seen anything to indicate that or even what the official GVWR for the Bronco is.
Doesn't leave much if the highest curb is 5320....... Four 170 lbs people and no gear?
Sponsored