Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
My wife's car based unibody Audi Q5 can tow 4400 lbs. It has a shorter wheelbase, less power, and a suspension designed for a plush luxury ride. There really is no excuse.
Doesn't the Audi have a rear stabilizer bar ?

The suspension design of the Bronco is not designed around tow ratings

Find vehicles without leave springs or stabilizer bars and look at those ratings
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The vehicle is 100% hitch limited. I'm not sure why this is not clear to everyone. It has a tow capacity that exactly matches the class 2 receiver limits no matter the wheelbase, engine choice, suspension, or tire size you choose.

No, it couldn't possibly be the hitch......it must be because it has an off road suspension. Herp derp.
I agree that’s the biggest issue. They didn’t want or have time to add a class III hitch and didn’t need to because of the Jeep limits. I do think you can “legally” increase the capacity and at a minimum if you add the proper equipment and operate in a reasonable manner, the liability is likely not increased. Class III bumper hitch is on my list.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's not a deal breaker by any means. But it would have been nice to have a higher capacity. We pull a camper that weighs right up to the limits of the Wrangler or Bronco. While we aren't over capacity it would be nice to have more capacity so we don't need to be as careful how we load it. A margin for error.

The common comment that anyone who wants to tow more should get a pickup doesn't consider how others use their vehicles. We go off road a lot and we like to tow a camper behind us. We are not buying a vehicle to only tow and we are not buying a vehicle to only off-road. We want the best combo of both that we can get.

So OP, no it's not that bad of a tow rating. 5000 lbs would be nice, but if 3500 is all they can do and still keep good off-road capabilities then we will live within those limits.
If you're looking for the best of both worlds then wouldn't something like the raptor be a better choice then? Extremely capable off-road but has the necessary pickup truck features?

SAcobra427

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco U15 302, '05 F350 drw sb 425/925, '06 Ford GT 720/685, '09 911 Turbo 565/500, '17 GT350 575/480 on E85, '19 BMW M550, ERA Cobra #833
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But now after doing some research and building a jeep wrangler for fun, it's come to my realization (if I know how to read correctly) that the Wrangler also has a max towing capacity of 3500 lbs? So wouldn't that make the Bronco directly in line with the competition? I realize the ranger itself is capable of a lot more when it comes to towing, but when it comes to comparing the Bronco as an off-road vehicle with a removable top to its direct competitor, it seems pretty on par. I think even all 2 door wranglers have a max of 2000 lbs, versus a Bronco 2 door at the same 3500 lbs.

Am I missing something? Please feel free to enlighten me, lol.

Only 2000 pounds ?! Strangely thats what my 2011 Polaris Ranger side by side is rated at.................... and I'm not even kidding, and that has a 900 cc 3 cylinder and a transmission that runs with a belt !

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you're looking for the best of both worlds then wouldn't something like the raptor be a better choice then? Extremely capable off-road but has the necessary pickup truck features?
I love Raptors. They are probably too big for many of the trails we find ourselves on though. I also ride with the doors off most of the year. I did put some thought into that option.

Sponsored

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The vehicle is 100% hitch limited. I'm not sure why this is not clear to everyone. It has a tow capacity that exactly matches the class 2 receiver limits no matter the wheelbase, engine choice, suspension, or tire size you choose.

No, it couldn't possibly be the hitch......it must be because it has an off road suspension. Herp derp.
I 100% agree it’s the hitch. But I think there is a reason they stopped at class 2 instead of putting a class 3. Maybe time maybe money, why would they not want to say hey we can also tow more than a Jeep. Maybe they are happy with being just as good as Jeep when it comes to towing.
I would not be surprised if the towing capacity will increases in 2022 or 2023 based off of the Ranger update.
Who knows what exactly goes into it everybody knows that powertrain, brakes, wheelbase, and suspension figure into it but what about soft top, removable top, and removable doors I can’t say I’ve ever seen anything for or against but for years (and still might not) U-haul wouldn’t rent trailers to a Jeep and later would but only to a hardtop.
So yes I completely agree hitch is the limiting factor, but there has to be something else to not bump it up to a class 3.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree that’s the biggest issue. They didn’t want or have time to add a class III hitch and didn’t need to because of the Jeep limits. I do think you can “legally” increase the capacity and at a minimum if you add the proper equipment and operate in a reasonable manner, the liability is likely not increased. Class III bumper hitch is on my list.

futzin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As for the mentality of "It's the same as Jeep, so we're good": can you even get the tow pkg with Sasquatch? Because with Jeep, you're still at 3500 with the Rubicon model.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Ford wants the Bronco to compete with Wrangler they have to stay under 6,000 GVWR otherwise its in a completely different category.
No, they don't!

As a potential customer, I don't care if the Bronco is above the 6,000 GVWR. I don't care if some ruling body said that if the Bronco was over 6,000 GVWR it wouldn't compete with the Wrangler, as it would still be a Direct Competitor to the Wrangler in my minds eyes.

Yes, there are most likely more rules that FoMoCo would have to design to if the Bronco we above the 6,000 GVWR, but as a potential customer, I don't care.

As for right now, we only know bits and pieces of what the reasons "might be" for the current tow rating. I for one feel that FoMoCo copied too much of the Wrangler and they "should have" done more to make the Bronco more different from the Wrangler. (EX. Higher Tow Rating and a Drop Down Tail Gate & Bumper Mounted Swing Away Spare Tire)

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My wife's car based unibody Audi Q5 can tow 4400 lbs. It has a shorter wheelbase, less power, and a suspension designed for a plush luxury ride. There really is no excuse.
The Q5 is designed for on-road stability. I guarantee the Audi is sprung much much tighter than the Bronco, and as someone else said it has a rear swaybar. The Bronco is designed for huge travel and flex, both of which hurt towing capacity.

If you want to shame the Bronco, compare it to other offroad-capable vehicles.

VehicleCurb Weight (lbs)Wheelbase (in)Towing Capacity (lbs)
Bronco 4 dr4499-5320116.13500
Defender48301198201
4Runner4750109.85000
FJ Cruiser4290105.95000
Wrangler 4 dr4449118.43500
Cherokee4250107.14500

The "no stick with the V6" was the first nail in the coffin for me wanting a Bronco, and the poor towing capacity was the last. I already have an SUV with the EcoBoost 2.7 and auto trans that can tow 3500lbs, I don't need two of them. And if I open the panoramic sunroof I can still get wet in the rain just like the Bronco.

This week I went out and bought a cheap F150 4x4 that will work for towing, hauling, camping, and any off-roading I find myself doing. I paid $35,000 less than a Black Diamond would have cost me, and I got a Coyote ;).

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I 100% agree it’s the hitch. But I think there is a reason they stopped at class 2 instead of putting a class 3. Maybe time maybe money, why would they not want to say hey we can also tow more than a Jeep. Maybe they are happy with being just as good as Jeep when it comes to towing.
I would not be surprised if the towing capacity will increases in 2022 or 2023 based off of the Ranger update.
Who knows what exactly goes into it everybody knows that powertrain, brakes, wheelbase, and suspension figure into it but what about soft top, removable top, and removable doors I can’t say I’ve ever seen anything for or against but for years (and still might not) U-haul wouldn’t rent trailers to a Jeep and later would but only to a hardtop.
So yes I completely agree hitch is the limiting factor, but there has to be something else to not bump it up to a class 3.
If it was the top, how does the Gladiator get rated for 7600 lbs?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The Q5 is designed for on-road stability. I guarantee the Audi is sprung much much tighter than the Bronco, and as someone else said it has a rear swaybar. The Bronco is designed for huge travel and flex, both of which hurt towing capacity.

Defender48301198201
4Runner4750109.85000
FJ Cruiser4290105.95000
Cherokee4250107.14500

The "no stick with the V6" was the first nail in the coffin for me wanting a Bronco, and the poor towing capacity was the last. I already have an SUV with the EcoBoost 2.7 and auto trans that can tow 3500lbs, I don't need two of them. And if I open the panoramic sunroof I can still get wet in the rain just like the Bronco.

This week I went out and bought a cheap F150 4x4 that will work for towing, hauling, camping, and any off-roading I find myself doing. I paid $35,000 less than a Black Diamond would have cost me, and I got a Coyote ;).
Wrangler 4 door in Europe: 5500 lbs ...
Bronco 2dr wheelbase: 100.4” / 3500 lbs
Defender 2 dr: 101.9” / 7716 lbs (braked)

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base

Defender48301198201
4Runner4750109.85000
FJ Cruiser4290105.95000
Cherokee4250107.14500
Guess what 5 of these 6 have in common?

I'm not 100% positive all years and models but they all show the rear sway bar and the wrangler pages talk about a stiffer setup helping the wobble

Who knows why ford went this direction but why aren't the tow ratings different for the bilstein high clearance models and regular models ?

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it was the top, how does the Gladiator get rated for 7600 lbs?
I don’t know maybe cause of the bed length. Maybe because it actually classed as a truck and not an SUV but if I was forced to bet it would be that the wheel base is about 20 inches longer. Like I said I don’t really know what exactly goes into but go try and rent a trailer from Uhaul with Jeep and a soft top unless something has changed in the last couple years they won’t let you. I get that they don’t set the federal standards on towing but there has got to be some reason.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's because that's not the clear answer. Yes...a Class II is limited to 3500lbs but there must be a reason that they can't/won't put a Class III on there.

Apples to oranges but the Gladiator has the same style of hitch-mounting but can run a Class III and tow 5000lbs. Of course if Jeep only sold it with a Class II it too would be limited to 3500lbs.

So I agree the Class II is definitely a limiting factor as it's configured. But there seems like it could be more than that.

Herp derp.
Sponsored