Rough Rider

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, the 3500 pound towing capacity is fine. People who say otherwise have needs that would be suited by different vehicles. No one vehicle will ever fill everyone's needs. That said, NO one makes a convertible SUV with 2 or 4 doors that tows 5000 pounds. So if they want that, they will have to make it themselves.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I don’t know maybe cause of the bed length. Maybe because it actually classed as a truck and not an SUV but if I was forced to bet it would be that the wheel base is about 20 inches longer. Like I said I don’t really know what exactly goes into but go try and rent a trailer from Uhaul with Jeep and a soft top unless something has changed in the last couple years they won’t let you. I get that they don’t set the federal standards on towing but there has got to be some reason.
So my point was specifically if removable top is limiting to 3500, why isn’t the Gladiator limited to 3500 as well?

Gladiator has a Ram rear axle which and is longer, which gets it to 7650, but:
The Rubicon: 7000, 4500 if 6MT
Overland (Sahara): 6000/4000
Mojave: 6000
Eco-Diesel: 6500

Jeep has said Eco-Diesel is cooling limited, and obviously the manual is torque limited, but the Mojave / Rubicon / Overland must all be suspension softness limited. (From experience Mojave and Rubicon don’t ride soft, but the articulate a lot.)

Either way my point wasn’t so much to throw a truck into the argument, but to say the topless argument doesn’t seem to hold water.

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So my point was specifically if removable top is limiting to 3500, why isn’t the Gladiator limited to 3500 as well?

Gladiator has a Ram rear axle which and is longer, which gets it to 7650, but:
The Rubicon: 7000, 4500 if 6MT
Overland (Sahara): 6000/4000
Mojave: 6000
Eco-Diesel: 6500

Jeep has said Eco-Diesel is cooling limited, and obviously the manual is torque limited, but the Mojave / Rubicon / Overland must all be suspension softness limited. (From experience Mojave and Rubicon don’t ride soft, but the articulate a lot.)

Either way my point wasn’t so much to throw a truck into the argument, but to say the topless argument doesn’t seem to hold water.
Just to be clear I never said it was the limiting factor, just possibly one small piece in a very complex puzzle.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Gladiators come with a class 5 hitch.

The difference in tow capacity for trims is due to tire size, gearing, springs and vehicle weight. The max tow gladiator and the rubicon are the same, except for weight, tire size and rear springs. The Rubicon tows and hauls less because it weighs a lot more and it’s wheel size. The suspensions are pretty similar, but the max tow’s springs are a little stiffer. The Mojave is lower because of gearing and tire size.

The Gladiator isn’t a fair comparison. It’s frame is designed to do truck stuff. So it’s stiffer and beefier. I’m sure one of the issues with the wrangler and bronco would be twisting of the frame with heavy loads. Plus the Gladiator’s rear suspension is borrowed from the ram 1500. It’s definitely tailored towards pulling and hauling, compared to the wrangler.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The Gladiators come with a class 5 hitch.

The difference in tow capacity for trims is due to tire size, gearing, springs and vehicle weight. The max tow gladiator and the rubicon are the same, except for weight, tire size and rear springs. The Rubicon tows and hauls less because it weighs a lot more and it’s wheel size. The suspensions are pretty similar, but the max tow’s springs are a little stiffer. The Mojave is lower because of gearing and tire size.

The Gladiator isn’t a fair comparison. It’s frame is designed to do truck stuff. So it’s stiffer and beefier. I’m sure one of the issues with the wrangler and bronco would be twisting of the frame with heavy loads. Plus the Gladiator’s rear suspension is borrowed from the ram 1500. It’s definitely tailored towards pulling and hauling, compared to the wrangler.
My point was the removable roof doesn't limit the Gladiator, so I think that is not the limiting factor on the Bronco or Wrangler. I also think Ford would be stupid to artificially limit the capacity by not finding a Class III receiver to bolt on. I have a four bolt rear frame Class III / 4500lb receiver on my JK right now. How hard would that have been to find / modify for Bronco application?

(I would actually like to know the center spacing of the Bronco's four bolts, diameter, and spacing between the front and the back of the frame it bolts onto.)

Keeping in mind the rear suspension on a Jeep with 3500lb capacity has a sway bar, and the Bronco doesn't, and that too could limit capacity, I think it is the rear suspension set up that limits the capacity and agree, there should be a variant with rear suspension mods for higher capacity.

I've read about European specs taking lower tongue weight ratios into effect, requiring slower max speeds. There are also different licensing requirements for drivers. (Any idiot can tow big trailer loads in the US.) When they launch Bronco in Europe or Australia, it will be interesting to see what the difference is in the tow ratings and in the rear suspension parts list. (i.e., what it is physically capable of, versus limited to by US standards)

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's because that's not the clear answer. Yes...a Class II is limited to 3500lbs but there must be a reason that they can't/won't put a Class III on there.

Apples to oranges but the Gladiator has the same style of hitch-mounting but can run a Class III and tow 5000lbs. Of course if Jeep only sold it with a Class II it too would be limited to 3500lbs.

So I agree the Class II is definitely a limiting factor as it's configured. But there seems like it could be more than that.

Herp derp.
Except it has a 2" receiver with a 7 pin and a 4 pin connection and trailer sway control built in. Unusual or a class II hitch.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you're looking for the best of both worlds then wouldn't something like the raptor be a better choice then? Extremely capable off-road but has the necessary pickup truck features?
Raptor needs rear suspension upgrades for heavy tongue weights. It's always fun to compare towability compared to offroadability. There is ALWAYS tradeoffs. Bronco in a perfect scenario would be able to bridge the gap like a 4Runner, but better. Bronco as is now can't yank 4000lbs offroad.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Max payload is GVWR-Curb weight. If Ford wants the Bronco to compete with Wrangler they have to stay under 6,000 GVWR otherwise its in a completely different category. It doesnt mean the vehicle cant technically carry more. That would be the official safe rating from Ford. The payload on the Bronco is listed as 1350 max because a GVWR of 6000-the base model curb weight of 4660 = 1340. As you add features and accesories this payload rating goes down. The highest listed curb weight by Ford is 5320. This leaves only 700lbs of payload.
Um.. those are max available. I don’t think you get what I’m saying. Payload= GVWR- curb. So if you put a engine that weighs 200lbs more and nothing else changes like wheel base or suspension you just lost 200lbs of payload. If ford is capping the Bronco at a 6k to stay in class with the wrangler and projects the curb weight in the pic that’s a pretty big difference in payload based off of configuration and options. So the way I see it curb weight effects payload and towing not so much gvcwr as the amount of tongue weight you can put on the bumper as that is part of payload.
96E5DDA0-BB92-43FF-BD3F-D8031432071F.png
I know how gvwr and payload works, I guess I’m just used to looking at trucks in the past when thinking anything of payload, and the gvwr can easily change between trims or engines, so finding only one payload cap anywhere I’ve seen for the bronco I assumed that was payload regardless and the gvwr would be different with engines/options or that if the payload was diff it would say “max available” or something not just a single rating. I mean tow cap doesn’t change, even the base that you can’t actually add the hitch to on build and price still lists as having the 3500lbs tow cap, hard to tow 3500lbs without a hitch. Haven’t seen an actual gvwr for the bronco either, just curb weight from ford. But even if as you both seem to be saying the gvwr won’t be any different across the board that still doesn’t add up. The lowest curb weight for the 4dr is with the 2.3(4500lbs), if ya assume max payload there then that only gives a gvwr of 5870lbs, if that’s the same across the board then with the highest curb weight of the 4dr with the 2.7 would only have 550lbs payload. My 3 closest friends weigh more than that together, so you’re saying ford would make a vehicle that by the sticker couldn’t even carry 3 passengers while empty even though it’s a 5 seater with cargo space? Couldn’t even throw some luggage in the back and drop family off at the airport without going over the payload? The roof can hold 450lbs, but the bronco can’t drive with more than that inside it? Guess it could be, but just seems a bit off to me. Course, even if that is the case, still doesn’t change the fact that some configuration of the bronco has plenty of payload for a slightly increased tow cap. If ford limited the engine/options/packages that you could get a 5k tow cap on what would be the big deal? Most suvs that have a tow rating have multiple tow ratings for different specs, and having a max tow option that limits engine choice and package options isn’t a new idea.

ilkhan

Badlands
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Many hoped for more cause the bronco just doesn’t seem to be a sum of its parts kinda thing. Uses so much from vehicles known to tow a lot more, sure it was never going to match those vehicles of course but didn’t expect less than half the capability. 70% what the ranger does with mostly similar parts(so 30% drop for suspension and wheelbase) for the 4 dr bronco woulda been great, that’s roughly what some other off road oriented versions of on road vehicles do. And that’d put it over 5k tow cap. Sure the 4 dr is same as 4dr wrangler, but the 2 dr bronco is also the same, the 2 dr wrangler is 1500 less just for wheelbase. So shouldn’t the 4 dr bronco get a 1500 ish bump from the 2dr for wheelbase alone? That on its own would be satisfying to most(and the wheelbase difference between 2 dr and 4 dr Broncos is more than the wheelbase difference from 4dr bronco to ranger). And the wrangler was never built off anything that had any towing chops like the bronco. As for all the “get a truck” comments, asking for 5k isn’t anywhere near asking for truck capability. If someone wanted 8k or more then yea get a truck. But 5k is almost half what even the smallest trucks are rated for. And a mini van can tow 3500lbs(literally almost any minivan is rated to tow 3500lbs), so yea I consider it ridiculously low. And it’s also pretty much the only reason I haven’t and won’t own a wrangler, so had the bronco actually beat the wrangler and gone a bit higher I’d get one for sure. There are literally dozens of suvs now that can double or almost triple the broncos tow cap, not all of them off road capable sure, but just saying it doesn’t take a truck. The only truck option I’m considering since the bronco can’t tow is the gladiator, and that’s mainly to still have the removable roof and some off road capability. My other considerations are SUVs that actually tow more than a gladiator or ranger or Colorado trucks do, with 8k+ tow caps. And no I didn’t expect the bronco to tow close to 8k, but unless it can tow at least 5k it won’t work for me.
It's not about percentages. Each component has a max weight rating for what it can hold up to. I almost guarantee in the case of the Bronco the limiting factor is suspension. Everything else could be able to carry a 10k load, but if the suspension is limited to 6k, the overall rating will be 6k.

Sponsored

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is our camper. It fits under the 3500 lb limit. Hitch weight is at the limit. GCVWR is close to max as well. Weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bars keep it under control and the Jeep level.

So you can tow a pretty decent size camper with a 3500 lb limit. Just have to load it carefully and drive at slower speeds.

IMG_0934.JPG
What size wheels do you have there

PaulW

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 EB, 06 Wrangler LJ, 18F150HD, 17 Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most of us will be at GVWR at Max payload without a trailer.
Even if you do not load up the Bronco and want something to tow then you are stuck with the specs as built by Ford. Just keep the choice of trailer that meets the specs. Plenty of travel trailer and utility trailers that will work. I have been towing a travel trailer with my 3500lb trailer limit Jeep and it works but power is the only issue.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It’s because people like to complain for no reason. If you need more than 3500 lbs get a pickup truck. Honestly every person I know who tows anything over 3500 pounds has a pickup truck anyways
Cool story bruh.

Yeah, I'm going to need you to go ahead and check out pretty much every other thread on this section for multiple postings directly refuting this.
Sponsored