Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Cool story bruh.

Yeah, I'm going to need you to go ahead and check out pretty much every other thread on this section for multiple postings directly refuting this.
Not sure what you mean? I skimmed through this crap storm of people complaining it can’t tow as much as a truck and still have not changed my view on it. If you need to tow over 3500 pounds then get a different vehicle or a lighter trailer. Bronco was built from the ground up to be an off road capable SUV and that is what it is meant to be. It’s like owning a civic and complaining that it’s not as fast as a mustang GT.... never was meant to be.
Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure what you mean? I skimmed through this crap storm of people complaining it can’t tow as much as a truck and still have not changed my view on it. If you need to tow over 3500 pounds then get a different vehicle or a lighter trailer. Bronco was built from the ground up to be an off road capable SUV and that is what it is meant to be. It’s like owning a civic and complaining that it’s not as fast as a mustang GT.... never was meant to be.
So..... you work within the Design Team at FoMoCo? Do tell......

If not, you Just Don't Know...... and to just attempt to speak from on high that they should Just Buy A Truck, As The Bronco ISN'T For You..... well... it has gotten very Old to all of us who are hoping that FoMoCo will offer a TRUE Towing Package for us that would trade off some of the Bronco Off-Road Capabilities to have a vehicle that Checked ALL of the Boxes We Need to Justify a $30k/$40K/$50K/$60K Plus Vehicle Purchase.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most of us will be at GVWR at Max payload without a trailer.
Even if you do not load up the Bronco and want something to tow then you are stuck with the specs as built by Ford. Just keep the choice of trailer that meets the specs. Plenty of travel trailer and utility trailers that will work. I have been towing a travel trailer with my 3500lb trailer limit Jeep and it works but power is the only issue.
Buying a new offroad camper is not an option for me. Id trade out my vehicle before the camper I love the camper that much. I need available payload of at least 850 lbs on a 4dr Badlands, 2.7 hardtop (400lb trailer tongue weight, 2 adults for 300 combined & 2 dogs for 150 combined) or the Bronco will not work.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So..... you work within the Design Team at FoMoCo? Do tell......

If not, you Just Don't Know...... and to just attempt to speak from on high that they should Just Buy A Truck, As The Bronco ISN'T For You..... well... it has gotten very Old to all of us who are hoping that FoMoCo will offer a TRUE Towing Package for us that would trade off some of the Bronco Off-Road Capabilities to have a vehicle that Checked ALL of the Boxes We Need to Justify a $30k/$40K/$50K/$60K Plus Vehicle Purchase.
I am sorry I struck a chord with you. Ford has done an amazing job so far on this Bronco and unfortunately there are some trade offs for having a super capable off roading rig and one of those trade off is it can not tow as much as a normal truck can. This is the way with every single vehicle out there today. There is no perfect vehicle and you just have to decide what choices you want in that vehicle. If tow rating 3500 is something you can not live with than that does mean you may have to look at other vehicles to tow more. I am sorry but praying to the Ford Gods will not change that.

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
A rear sway bar kit would go a long way to increase the rating so hopefully the aftermarket comes out with some fixes.

Dont know how you would certify any improvements to satisfy DOT tho

Sponsored

Internally_Combusted

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy C10
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

one of those trade off is it can not tow as much as a normal truck can.
Not a single person is asking for it to tow as much as a normal truck. Normal trucks of this category tow between 7500-8500lbs. People want 5000lbs minimum out of the bronco. It opens up A LOT of options for towing very reasonable things like campers, bigger boats, side by sides, etc. These are all things you might want on outdoor adventures that you drive your outdoor adventure vehicle to. It's a really reasonable request that fits the intended purpose of the vehicle. Again, I think it's merely hitch limited because they didn't have time to full test it or a class III+ hitch would have gimped the departure angles for initial marketing. If the suspension is a limiting factor then a rear sway bar and potentially stiffer springs is all that should be needed and would be an easy add on for ford in a max tow package that anyone who is rock crawling can just leave off their build. I guarantee a lot more buyers want/need the extra tow capacity than people who want/need the extra articulation.

Last edited:

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m hoping the class 2 hitch is the limiting factor. The Defender is rated to tow over 7k with similar dimensions and weight. The Defender does have the air suspension, which likely increases the load. Likely a class 3 hitch would get the Bronco over 5k. Making me think I’ll skip ordering the class 2 hitch.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am sorry I struck a chord with you. Ford has done an amazing job so far on this Bronco and unfortunately there are some trade offs for having a super capable off roading rig and one of those trade off is it can not tow as much as a normal truck can. This is the way with every single vehicle out there today. There is no perfect vehicle and you just have to decide what choices you want in that vehicle. If tow rating 3500 is something you can not live with than that does mean you may have to look at other vehicles to tow more. I am sorry but praying to the Ford Gods will not change that.
I agree Ford has done an amazing job, and was built from the ground up to be a super capable off roading rig. I think everyone here that wants more towing understands that.
Again, that is why no one is asking for 7000+ lbs towing.
It's really very simple. Ford has set the tow capacity of every single configuration of the Bronco to 3500lbs. So if a 2dr Sasq with the 2.3l can tow 3500lbs, then a 4dr non Sasq with the 2.7l could tow more. There is absolutely no way, every single configuration of the Bronco would test out exactly the same. So what is the true max of a 4dr, non-Sasq? I'd like to know, because I know it's more than 3500lbs.

I'm also getting pretty tired of all the pissy-assed guys that complain for days on end about the color or lack of heated mirrors, or some other non-off road related item, and then basically call us morons for debating the tow capacity.
I don't shoot anyone down for discussing what they want in a vehicle. Just shows they are passionate about it.
The Ford gods added the manual to the Sasq package after a lot praying from a lot of people.
Let us pray too. We're hoping the gods answer.

BUCKN

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WILDTRAK
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Broncos payload rating is almost 1400lbs, it’s got plenty of payload. Gladiator has 1550lbs payload with max tow cap of 7600lbs. 500lbs tongue weight from a 5k tow cap would still leave 870lbs of payload for the bronco. So unless your “average weight male passengers” are well over 400lbs each(Well more with the rated tow cap) you won’t be over payload rating.
A LR DEFENDER 110 is not 20-25k more. I drove a base one priced at 52k. Luxurious interior, cool looking. All the techno stuff. Bit I bought the WT. Have a tricked out wrangler now and like the versatility ie doors and top off. More of a fun vehicle than a LR!

BUCKN

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WILDTRAK
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A LR DEFENDER 110 is not 20-25k more. I drove a base one priced at 52k. Luxurious interior, cool looking. All the techno stuff. Bit I bought the WT. Have a tricked out wrangler now and like the versatility ie doors and top off. More of a fun vehicle than a LR!
Bty I row two full size Harleys with my Jeep. No issue at all. They weigh 800# each plus a 400# trailer. I’m sure my new WT will handle it fine. Maybe better. ?

Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All I'm asking for is a TOW PACKAGE from FoMoCo!!!!!!

DUH!!!!!!!

Thanks for playing! ?

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nobody’s asking to match truck capability, just more than minivan capability. And as others have said one of the biggest complaints is that the tow rating is exactly the same across the board, regardless of changes like wheelbase, engines, tires, suspension. If the shortest wheelbase with the biggest tires and most off-road oriented suspension can tow 3500lbs, then up to 5in shorter tires, 16in longer wheelbase, and slightly less off road capable suspension should def be able to tow more with minimal if any changes. For me personally, makes little sense to have all that off roading capability if its going to sit at home when I’m gone on trips because it can’t tow, therefore missing most any opportunity to take it off road. And the smallest trailer option for me needs 5k minimum, so there is nothing to trade down to and be lighter than that. And having a tow package wouldn’t change the off road capability for anyone that didn’t want it, so that’s a pretty invalid excuse since anybody that wants a tow package is okay with losing a small amount of off road capability. It’ll still be more capable with a tow package than most buyers will ever need. So yea, I’ll likely be getting something else, just a shame when it seems pretty obvious there’s a bronco capable of what I need with minimal or no change, but it won’t get rated for it. And most of my other vehicle considerations aren’t trucks.

Last edited:

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The old rule of thumb is that a vehicle can safely tow its own weight.....

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i'm beginning to think it's an artificial limit.

maybe they want you to buy a f150 to tow the bronco to the trail head, or a F250 to tow the camper and the bronco.

either the ultimate up-sell or protecting F150/ranger sales

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i'm beginning to think it's an artificial limit.

maybe they want you to buy a f150 to tow the bronco to the trail head, or a F250 to tow the camper and the bronco.

either the ultimate up-sell or protecting F150/ranger sales
And thats where I sit right now. I have an f150 that could trailer the Bronco but not enough towing capacity to tow both the Bronco and the offroad camper on a gooseneck, so Ive been contemplating a super duty.

But before I do that and spend all that $, I need to see what the GVWR numbers are on a 4dr BL, 2.7 & hardtop. Im just having a hard time thinking that a curb weight 5300lb (900lbs heavier than a 4dr rubicon) bronco will only have 699lbs of payload to keep it under the 6k GVWR mark.
Sponsored