Is the towing capacity really that bad?

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Who on this board decided it was 6K GVWR? If that was really that important, no one thinks GMC couldn't have knocked 1-2 lbs off the GVWR of the acadia or Chrysler, 51 lbs off the grand caravan? Seems there are bunch of vehicles just a hair over 6K that could have been under if it mattered that much.

http://www.blumshapiro.com/media/uploads/files/2017 Vehicles with GVW over 6.pdf
Also for those saying it “has” to stay under 6k to compete with the wrangler... the wrangler 4xE will probably be over 6k gvwr. Seen multiple sites saying it’ll have 1200lb payload, but lightest weight of 5k, so that would be minimum 6200lbs gvwr. And who knows where the new 392 wrangler will be with gvwr. So even the wrangler will likely have at least one version over 6k gvwr. And 4 out of 5 previous bronco generations were all over 6k gvwr. Yes they were the “full-size” broncos built off full size trucks, but this broncos built off a ranger, and the ranger has a 6k gvwr which is also similar gvwr to the trucks previous broncos were based on, so even though it’s not a fullsize chassis, it’s got very similar specs to the old full-sizes. And who really thinks the 4 door bronco is a “small” suv anyways? Outside the wrangler pretty much any other competition for it is over 6k gvwr, but still very similar size to the 4 door. Defender, Range Rover, 4Runner, land cruiser, all over 6k gvwr and all similar size dimensions to the 4 door bronco(including lighter curb weights on some). And that’s just offroad capable suvs, plenty of other suvs similar size(both dimensions and weight) as the 4 door bronco with gvwr over 6k, so its not really a “size” classification. And there’s also the bronco sport for someone that wants 4 doors and can’t stand a gvwr over 6k.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Who on this board decided it was 6K GVWR? If that was really that important, no one thinks GMC couldn't have knocked 1-2 lbs off the GVWR of the acadia or Chrysler, 51 lbs off the grand caravan? Seems there are bunch of vehicles just a hair over 6K that could have been under if it mattered that much.

http://www.blumshapiro.com/media/uploads/files/2017 Vehicles with GVW over 6.pdf
That's just it. We don't know that the GVWR is capped at 6k, or even if it isn't if that restriction is due to an artificial cap by Ford or whether is arises from safety limitations from a vehicle component.

With that said, the prevailing theory has been that Ford has capped the GVWR to keep it in the same vehicle class as the jeep (compact SUV). This is allegedly due to keeping it in direct competition with the jeep for promotional purposes.

To me, if I were Ford, I'd make the best damn off-road SUV I could regardless of class or class competition. Then, I'd let the vehicle and its performance sell itself rather than try to sell it as a "jeep alternative."

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My wife and I really, really, really don’t want to have to crawl over one another to get out of bed in the middle of the night. That severely restricts our options because we are only considering those travel trailers with a “north-south” oriented bed. We also want a real toilet (not a cassette or anything similar). We are also currently planning to err on the side of safety in regards to the weight limit. If someone convinced us we could tow 400-500 pounds more, options would expand greatly.

Based on our criteria and our conservative approach to weight, here’s a few that we are currently considering:

1. A pop-up (which may not float your boat) but if you can stand that and the way the toilet/shower is setup, this one has the distinct advantage of providing a metal platform to place a few toys such as bikes, eBikes, etc.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/camping-trailers/rockwood-extreme-sports-package/2280BHESP/2129n

2. Pricey but nice:

https://www.roulottesprolite.com/produit/CLASSIC/

3. Two side-by-side twin beds that are north-south:

https://casitatraveltrailers.com/independence

4. Another “pricey but nice” option:

https://safaricondo.com/en/caravanes-alto-serie-f-2114/

If I were pulling the trigger today, I would personally go for the Casita. They don’t cost as much as some of the other options, last forever, and don’t depreciate much. It’s not quite as big as we would like but seems like a decent compromise.

For context, I currently pull a 5,500 Lb (dry weight) travel trailer with a half-ton truck rated for 8,100 lbs. I am very careful to not load much in it (or the truck bed) and have an upgraded weight distribution hitch, upgraded truck brakes/rotors, electric brakes on the trailer, heavy-duty transmission cooler, etc. I live in the Dallas area and my longest trips so far with that setup have been Big Bend National Park and Colorado Springs, CO. I wouldn’t want to pull any more weight than that with my current tow vehicle.
I'd go for the Casita. I have a fiberglass trailer, not a Casita, that's almost 50 years old and just as good (maybe better) than it was new. It's a few feet shorter than that Casita but my wife and I comfortably spend up to a month at a time in it with two 50lb dogs.

Casitas are very well regarded. I wouldn't hesitate to replace my Trillium with one if we ever have kids and need a bit more room.

We've towed it all over the contient with a 4 cylinder Escape with a towing capacity of 1500lbs.

20170817_140703-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

PaulW

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 EB, 06 Wrangler LJ, 18F150HD, 17 Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well I have a Casita towed by an LJ Jeep with all my stuff in the trailer and my overloaded built Jeep. Tows stable and is extremely slow on hills. I have upgraded Jeep brakes so that it is not limiting. Had to beef up the rear bumper/hitch for the hitch weight. Jeeps back then did not come with a hitch so it is all aftermarket. Jeep spec for an LJ is 3500 trailer. My LJ weighs 5k no driver full fuel no extra stuff for camping.
The Casita for 2 people is horrible because it is just to small. It is just one step above a tent. Dry camping adds even more weight for the generator and water. I should weigh my setup Casita says the dry weight is 2480.
We would love to upgrade the trailer to one of the ones that were posted by
ipongtreat

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not so much payload... but GVWR should be on that sticker too, no?
Don't know about the white sticker. It's a little hard to make out. I've been asking some of the people who happen to find them out in the wild if they can get a look. Haven't had any luck so far.

The orange sticker with the payload rating likely is referring to the tire load rating. A lot of the Bronco tires are light truck tires that usually care a load rating of E somewhere in the 3k to 4k lbs range, but that clearly doesn't seem to be the case here.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
As I’ve said before, I’m not going to let some imaginary legal numbers determine what I do. Don’t go towing 8,000lbs with your Bronco, but if an FJ cruiser can tow almost 5k there’s zero reason a bronco 4 door can’t tow that much other than the hitch rating. Upgrade the hitch, aftermarket rear sway bar, brake controller, and don’t drive 10 over and there’s your towing improvements.

As I said in the other thread, I saw someone driving like this a few months back
Ford Bronco Is the towing capacity really that bad? 63126DBD-E7C7-4C2F-919A-8A2FA3C478E8

Don’t be that guy and pretend that just because your bronco has the 2.7 that it’s basically a diesel truck. But it’s pretty clear just like roof racks that Bronco is hamstrung by “imaginary” (to the customer)regulations.

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't know about the white sticker. It's a little hard to make out. I've been asking some of the people who happen to find them out in the wild if they can get a look. Haven't had any luck so far.

The orange sticker with the payload rating likely is referring to the tire load rating. A lot of the Bronco tires are light truck tires that usually care a load rating of E somewhere in the 3k to 4k lbs range, but that clearly doesn't seem to be the case here.
The tire and loading placards are vehicle specific go look at two f150s everything the same but the engine the number on the sticker will change. The GVWR is on the white sticker in the upper right hand corner if I remember correctly. I seriously doubt they weigh each and every vehicle but it’s calculated off of a build sheet or something and payload on the yellow sticker comes from the GVWR- curb. The one pictured clearly says 816 which puts it right in line with the projected curb weights and a GVWR around 6k. The GVWR might be a little different between a 2 dr and 4 dr but it’s gonna be close probably with in 200lbs. That picture is from a 2 door BL with Sasquatch if we could read the GVWR it might say 5.8k it might say 6k or maybe even 6050. But there is no way it’s 7k.

Ohnoohnoooo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW z3, Nisan rogue, joint-custody of Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco Is the towing capacity really that bad? A4C35D8F-933E-47D5-961F-BF926CF4BD45

Just wish we could replace “the Ford Ranger” with “the 2021 Ford Bronco”

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The tire and loading placards are vehicle specific go look at two f150s everything the same but the engine the number on the sticker will change. The GVWR is on the white sticker in the upper right hand corner if I remember correctly. I seriously doubt they weigh each and every vehicle but it’s calculated off of a build sheet or something and payload on the yellow sticker comes from the GVWR- curb. The one pictured clearly says 816 which puts it right in line with the projected curb weights and a GVWR around 6k. The GVWR might be a little different between a 2 dr and 4 dr but it’s gonna be close probably with in 200lbs. That picture is from a 2 door BL with Sasquatch if we could read the GVWR it might say 5.8k it might say 6k or maybe even 6050. But there is no way it’s 7k.
This is is where it is. I can see GVWR and GAWR below it. It's just not high enough resolution for me to make it out.
Ford Bronco Is the towing capacity really that bad? 20201121_123401

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One other potential problem with the Bronco is the mounting of the spare tire. Same with a Jeep Wrangler. For a lot of bicycle/motorcycle hitch racks you will need a hitch extension to clear the spare tire. That extension increases the leverage on the hitch assembly and decreases the max tongue weight. I just bought an extension and it had a sticker that said do not exceed half the hitch tongue weight or 300lbs, whichever is less. So half the tongue weight on the Bronco is 175 lbs! I have a motorcycle hitch carrier that weighs 350lbs with carrier and motorcycle. Not a problem for bicycles but yes a problem for my motorcycle. Not a Bronco deal breaker, but could be I may have to remove the spare tire to safely carry my motorcycle and not use an extender. I might look into carrying the spare on the roof. Just a lot of speculation now, and will really figure it out once I get my Bronco.
Sponsored