Sponsored

Is there a big difference in the 2.3 and 2.7 with Sasquatch Package?

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So since the beginning I've been deadset on the 2.7 and sasquatch, However, as of late I've been strongly considering downgrading to the 2.3. I know the 2.7 has more oomph, but realistically in stop and go city traffic with the occasional highway driving, is the 2.3 really much of a downgrade realistically? My main reasoning is MPG, but won't that go out the window with the sasquatch package?
Just curious what others on here who have driven either or both think.
Sponsored

Reactions: R11

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So since the beginning I've been deadset on the 2.7 and sasquatch, However, as of late I've been strongly considering downgrading to the 2.3. I know the 2.7 has more oomph, but realistically in stop and go city traffic with the occasional highway driving, is the 2.3 really much of a downgrade realistically? My main reasoning is MPG, but won't that go out the window with the sasquatch package?
If that's your intended use I would go with the 2.3. I have it in my Ranger with 32's and it has plenty of power stock. If you think it needs a little more oomph just add a tune, I have a Livernois tune and it's a rocket now. 🚀

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
i've driven a 2.7 black diamond 2 door non sas and a 2.3 badlands 4 door non sas, and honestly i think i had more fun driving the 2.3. The 2.7 is quick dont get me wrong, but theres something about the character of the 2.3 that i really enjoy. Im getting the 2.3 since im getting the manual sas, but i wouldnt hesitate to take a 2.3 either way. The torque numbers are so similar between the two motors

R11

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.basequatch.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I assume 2.3 will make you feel a little better about MPGs, but 2.7 definitely makes me smile. About as fast as my 2014 mustang (3.7 305HP), which still surprises me. FWIW, gigantic difference between Sport mode and Eco mode. When they claimed they improved throttle response in Sport, they were not kidding. Also, in eco on the highway, I can get pretty great MPGs for a heavy vehicle on 35s, above 20, and even had a stretch of 16 miles testing it where I was around 25 MPG using a complicated Prius-grandma driving technique. Overall average seems to fall in the 15-16 MPG range, but I do like Sport mode lol.

Sponsored

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I assume 2.3 will make you feel a little better about MPGs, but 2.7 definitely makes me smile. About as fast as my 2014 mustang (3.7 305HP), which still surprises me. FWIW, gigantic difference between Sport mode and Eco mode. When they claimed they improved throttle response in Sport, they were not kidding. Also, in eco on the highway, I can get pretty great MPGs for a heavy vehicle on 35s, above 20, and even had a stretch of 16 miles testing it where I was around 25 MPG using a complicated Prius-grandma driving technique. Overall average seems to fall in the 15-16 MPG range, but I do like Sport mode lol.
thats quite a bit better than the 13mpg i get in my manual trans rubicon on 35's

R11

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.basequatch.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

thats quite a bit better than the 13mpg i get in my manual trans rubicon on 35's
Right? I must have been going downhill for a lot of that highway driving or something!

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I was so unimpressed with the 2.3 with the manual, it talked me into going 2.7. I'm sure each of us has a certain expectation and "feel" they expect so that is obviously a personal opinion. But one feature that doesn't exist with the 2.3 is the one-pedal driving which I look forward to on some obstacles.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Obligatory snarky post that the difference between the 2.7 and 2.3 is 0.4L.

But I know that was not what you were looking for. I have a stock 4-door BL (I know its no Squatch but very close) with the 2.3 and paired with the manual, my average mpg is about 15.8 with my lead foot. So the Squatch should be a few ticks less. If you are looking for a huge savings is mpg by switching to the 2.3 I don't think you are going to find it.

Also, you didn't specify two or moar-door?

Sponsored

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Right? I must have been going downhill for a lot of that highway driving or something!
hahha maybe so, but i definitely believe it! i was a little let down with my jlur mpg, its 1 mpg better than my '19 rebel on 35s lol.

Reactions: R11

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the fuel economy ratings are essentially the same between the 2.3/2.7. You would save the $1900 up front (probably lose half that in resale/trade in)

The massive torque advantage (both in quantity and at a much lower RPM) will make the 2.7 less sluggish getting those MT's to rotate from a stop, off road with the 4L gearing, either engine is way more than you need.

I would count on exactly zero difference in running costs over the lifetime of the engines. All you are going to save is the initial two grand, don't think you will continue to do better after that.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I test drove both… the 2.7 is one option I will not give up. The 2.3 makes you think it has some fun packed in, because the throttle response is nice and responsive… but when you are actually trying to accelerate I felt like it totally falls on it’s face. I admit I am extra critical when it comes to engine performance and it’s usually the first thing I look for, however I am still surprised the 2.3 is getting the praise it’s getting paired with such a heavy vehicle. It was just not enough power TBH. IMO even the 2.7 was lacking a bit from what I had hoped, but is at least ”enough”, especially considering the vehicle’s purpose. Anyone who is trying to convince others that the 2.3 is fast, is either A trying to fool themselves, or B has low standards with vehicle performance. I do think it is likely adequate for a good portion of the population but surprised it’s adequate with a niche vehicle like this that calls more of an enthusiast presence. Then again, it’s competitors are pretty boring too, lol.

Winkydee

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Econoline Cargo Van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personally, the only reason for me to get the 2.3L is the stick shift. If they offered the stick at 2.7 I would be all over that.
I've heard a tune will really bring the 2.3L to life and so I have my fingers crossed that I will get all I want out of this 2 door 2.3 manual.

nick112288

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I should start a service for anyone looking to buy a new vehicle.

I'll rent my completely stock 95 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins auto for a month. It will erase any thoughts in your head about the 2.3 being slow and sluggish ha
Sponsored