Sponsored

Is there a big difference in the 2.3 and 2.7 with Sasquatch Package?

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Anyone who is trying to convince others that the 2.3 is fast, is either A trying to fool themselves, or B has low standards with vehicle performance.
I don't think i've ever heard someone try to convince anyone the 2.3 was fast. The best I've heard was "adequate for a vehicle of this type". And having driven a 2.3 Mordor auto lux Badlands (about 5k lbs), it left me feeling plenty happy about how I expect my 2door base manual to perform that I expect to weigh about 10% less.

For reference, my current car is a 4800lb rwd 420hp v8 that does 60 in 5.5. Either bronco will be slower than what I'm used to, and I'm fine with that. More than speed, I need a manual transmission back in my life. If they wise up and offer the 2.7 manual i've got an extra 2k ford can have.
Sponsored

B-Rad

First Edition
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Bronco 1978 Bronco 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
For what ever itā€™s worth I have a 21 ranger and I didnā€™t think I was going to like it but I put it on 33ā€™s and installed the ford performance tuner which also allowed me to calibrate for the 33ā€™s it is a blast to drive especially in sport mode way more power than you would think out of the 2.3 and the shifting with the tuner is way better I am super impressed

mikedege

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Weird how so many are trying to justify the 2.3 to save a couple grand on a ~50k truck! Also, gas mileage is so close that is not a valid argument either. You will always be second guessing yourself for the life of your ownership "I should have got the 2.7". Simply put... The single and only reason to go 2.3 is to get the manual transmission. Nothing else... IMHO šŸ˜ŽšŸ¤™šŸ¼

Good luck
Mike

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Simply put... The single and only reason to go 2.3 is to get the manual transmission. Nothing else... IMHO šŸ˜ŽšŸ¤™šŸ¼

I would echo Mike's statement.

I drive a 2.7 Base model everyday. Then a couple weeks back, I got the chance to drive a 2.3/AT Badlands for a couple days (both 4 door models) and was seriously disappointed in the 2.3.

The 2.7 is much more drivable, not in a fast & furious kind of way, but in a merge into traffic, pass other cars, creeping along through city driving, day-to-day type driving.

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not really. If youā€™re used to performance cars or trucks like Raptors or M3s than maybe itā€™ll feel a little sluggish but the 2.3 is more than enough to power the Sasquatch for the overwhelming majority of drivers . I just went for a long test drive of a 4 door 2.3 Sasquatch, my previous vehicle was a 2016 GTI which was very peppy and a blast to drive, and while the Sasquatch isnā€™t quite as quick I found it plenty fun to drive and had zero issue getting out of its own way. If youā€™re going to be towing often or are hell bent on zipping and hooning all over the place then get the 2.7 but the 2.3 is more than adequate for a Sasquatch bronco. I remember a video where a Baja racer was taking a reporter for a ride in a 2.3 squatch and she said it took her awhile to realize she wasnā€™t in a 2.7 anymore.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So since the beginning I've been deadset on the 2.7 and sasquatch, However, as of late I've been strongly considering downgrading to the 2.3. I know the 2.7 has more oomph, but realistically in stop and go city traffic with the occasional highway driving, is the 2.3 really much of a downgrade realistically? My main reasoning is MPG, but won't that go out the window with the sasquatch package?
Just curious what others on here who have driven either or both think.
You'll get whiplash with this question, lol. Engine power seems so dependent on personal preference and driving style.

TMP

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Super Duty 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I test drove bothā€¦ the 2.7 is one option I will not give up. The 2.3 makes you think it has some fun packed in, because the throttle response is nice and responsiveā€¦ but when you are actually trying to accelerate I felt like it totally falls on itā€™s face. I admit I am extra critical when it comes to engine performance and itā€™s usually the first thing I look for, however I am still surprised the 2.3 is getting the praise itā€™s getting paired with such a heavy vehicle. It was just not enough power TBH. IMO even the 2.7 was lacking a bit from what I had hoped, but is at least ā€enoughā€, especially considering the vehicleā€™s purpose. Anyone who is trying to convince others that the 2.3 is fast, is either A trying to fool themselves, or B has low standards with vehicle performance. I do think it is likely adequate for a good portion of the population but surprised itā€™s adequate with a niche vehicle like this that calls more of an enthusiast presence. Then again, itā€™s competitors are pretty boring too, lol.
Bingo! Spot onā€¦..I feel that those here and on Fakebook praising the 2.3 are doing so to justify their choice in the smaller engineā€¦ā€¦.Iā€™ve test driven both and would never go with the lesser engine.

OP
OP
gentlemanbronco

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bingo! Spot onā€¦..I feel that those here and on Fakebook praising the 2.3 are doing so to justify their choice in the smaller engineā€¦ā€¦.Iā€™ve test driven both and would never go with the lesser engine.
"MO' POWA BAYBEH"
I'm still leaning on downgrading tho. Neither engine is winning any races anytime soon. Plus with gas only getting more pricey I'd rather get some extra MPG

OP
OP
gentlemanbronco

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Weird how so many are trying to justify the 2.3 to save a couple grand on a ~50k truck! Also, gas mileage is so close that is not a valid argument either. You will always be second guessing yourself for the life of your ownership "I should have got the 2.7". Simply put... The single and only reason to go 2.3 is to get the manual transmission. Nothing else... IMHO šŸ˜ŽšŸ¤™šŸ¼

Good luck
Mike
DAMMIT. You got me cross eyed now lol

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
And people want to justify spending a thousand or so more for a 6cyl, or even more if having to go auto to get the 6cyl. People want to justify paying for locking diffs, and other stuff for which arguably they have little real use.

I mean if you want to go down that path, half the people here are probably trying to justify buying a pavement compromised off-road geared vehicle, that they will never much take off-road! :) It's a big mind *&^%!

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bingo! Spot onā€¦..I feel that those here and on Fakebook praising the 2.3 are doing so to justify their choice in the smaller engineā€¦ā€¦.
That's exactly how I feel about the 2.7 crowd, still trying to justify paying extra.

ColonelAngus

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was so unimpressed with the 2.3 with the manual, it talked me into going 2.7. I'm sure each of us has a certain expectation and "feel" they expect so that is obviously a personal opinion. But one feature that doesn't exist with the 2.3 is the one-pedal driving which I look forward to on some obstacles.
What's funny is I had the opposite feeling. I drove a 2.7 4 door squatch, and drove a coworkers base 2 door manual with 34's and much preferred the 4 cylinder with the manual... guess to each their own as you said. The 6 is obviously faster but the 4 has plenty of power for what it is (was actually more impressive than I expected) and is much more fun to drive. Plus i'm not buying a Bronco to win races @ lights. Prior to that, I was positive I was going to suck it up and pay the extra for the 6 and lose out on the manual.
Sponsored