Sponsored

Is there a big difference in the 2.3 and 2.7 with Sasquatch Package?

brian_ssm

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150, Pontiac Trans Am
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 2.3 non SAS and my friend has the 2.7 non SAS so I have actual driving time with both in comparable vehicles quite a bit. Not just a 5 minute test drive.
I did not find a big difference tbh although I cannot speak for how a SAS would be. I went with the 2.3 as I felt it would be adequate for how we were going to use the vehicle and have not had anything change my mind so far. It has plenty of get up and go to pass at highway speeds and the acceleration is good. It is not something I would call fast but its not slow either. Fast wasn't a reason I was buying a Bronco for though lol
Sponsored

bdg149

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.5 VW Atlas, 1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Weird how so many are trying to justify the 2.3 to save a couple grand on a ~50k truck! Also, gas mileage is so close that is not a valid argument either. You will always be second guessing yourself for the life of your ownership "I should have got the 2.7". Simply put... The single and only reason to go 2.3 is to get the manual transmission. Nothing else... IMHO 😎🤙🏼

Good luck
Mike

What if I told you, that someone like me is not really concerned with the price difference, but prefer that the 2.3L is lighter, simpler, and with a quick tune, puts out very similar power to the 2.7L? 😎

As for the price difference, I can save $1950, put about $900 of that into the warrantied tune, then still come out over $1k on top.

mikedege

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
DAMMIT. You got me cross eyed now lol

Lol. My wife is on my case "get it with all the options you want, I don't want to hear you bitching about what you didn't get later".
I'm thinking, "well then you're gonna hear me bitching about how much money I spent, you choose?" 😉🤔

Mike

tamalediet

Black Diamond
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 XLT and a bunch of others- preorder on a BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So since the beginning I've been deadset on the 2.7 and sasquatch, However, as of late I've been strongly considering downgrading to the 2.3. I know the 2.7 has more oomph, but realistically in stop and go city traffic with the occasional highway driving, is the 2.3 really much of a downgrade realistically? My main reasoning is MPG, but won't that go out the window with the sasquatch package?
Just curious what others on here who have driven either or both think.
I plan on owning this for 10-15 years and anticipate the motor getting "worn out" towards the end of that life. I think the 2.7 will hold power longer and not feel so tired compared to the 2.3. Additionally, I've got a 96 351 bronco and that's the first question people ask me. 5.0 or 5.8? Resell will be much better down the road with a 2.7 Squatch than a 2.3 non squatch imo.

Sponsored

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And people want to justify spending a thousand or so more for a 6cyl, or even more if having to go auto to get the 6cyl. People want to justify paying for locking diffs, and other stuff for which arguably they have little real use.

I mean if you want to go down that path, half the people here are probably trying to justify buying a pavement compromised off-road geared vehicle, that they will never much take off-road! :) It's a big mind *&^%!
Exactly right! I have very little use for a rear locker and no use for a front locker but I’m still getting a Sasquatch because I love how it looks and drives! How many people with pickups use beds? How many people with sports cars push the limits? Life’s short drive what makes you happy. For me personally the 2.3 is plenty of motor and I can get more enjoyment out of $2,000 elsewhere

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What if I told you, that someone like me is not really concerned with the price difference, but prefer that the 2.3L is lighter, simpler, and with a quick tune, puts out very similar power to the 2.7L? 😎

As for the price difference, I can save $1950, put about $900 of that into the warrantied tune, then still come out over $1k on top.
Great point as well. $1k in sound system and $900 tune will give me more smiles per gallon with a lighter inline 4 and better sound system than either factory option

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been told by an acquaintance who works for the show Motorweek, that after he test drove all the Bronco models, he came away with the SAS has the smoother ride on everyday roads, and the 2.3 was overwhelmingly adequate to get the job done. Hope this helps.

imstimpy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol. My wife is on my case "get it with all the options you want, I don't want to hear you bitching about what you didn't get later".
I'm thinking, "well then you're gonna hear me bitching about how much money I spent, you choose?" 😉🤔

Mike
Ha! My wife said the same thing.

Regardless I'm still struggling with a line on a 2.3L in 2021 or waiting for my 2.7L order due in 202??

Sponsored

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't think i've ever heard someone try to convince anyone the 2.3 was fast. The best I've heard was "adequate for a vehicle of this type". And having driven a 2.3 Mordor auto lux Badlands (about 5k lbs), it left me feeling plenty happy about how I expect my 2door base manual to perform that I expect to weigh about 10% less.

For reference, my current car is a 4800lb rwd 420hp v8 that does 60 in 5.5. Either bronco will be slower than what I'm used to, and I'm fine with that. More than speed, I need a manual transmission back in my life. If they wise up and offer the 2.7 manual i've got an extra 2k ford can have.
I’ve actually heard numerous people call it fast/quick/impressive, etc.. Also, In the beginning a common thing I heard was that you can’t really tell it apart from the 2.7 unless going up a hill.I laughed at that one once I drove both. I absolutely could tell a notable difference between the two.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I should start a service for anyone looking to buy a new vehicle.

I'll rent my completely stock 95 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins auto for a month. It will erase any thoughts in your head about the 2.3 being slow and sluggish ha
I mean - you are talking 26 years in technological & mechanical improvements. Apples to Oranges, lol. If you actually have to compare a vehicle to something so outdated to feel better about it, OUCH, lol….

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ve actually heard numerous people call it fast/quick/impressive, etc.. Also, In the beginning a common thing I heard was that you can’t really tell it apart from the 2.7 unless going up a hill.I laughed at that one once I drove both. I absolutely could tell a notable difference between the two.
I would agree the 2.3 is impressive in context. It moves a heavy brick with big tires better than most would expect. But I would not call it fast or quick.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really think I'm going to end up downgrading to the 2.3 with sasquatch. I'll be 36 soon and my days of driving like Vin Diesel are coming to an end.
dude, you're young. I'm 51 and still want more power.
Sponsored