Sponsored

Is there a big difference in the 2.3 and 2.7 with Sasquatch Package?

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

gentlemanbronco said:
I really think I'm going to end up downgrading to the 2.3 with sasquatch. I'll be 36 soon and my days of driving like Vin Diesel are coming to an end.

dude, you're young. I'm 51 and still want more power.
I am 59 and the only reason I am getting the 2.7 is because they don't put a 3.5 or a 6.2 in the Bronco yet, what ever you do Do not sell your self short (ever)!
Sponsored

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So since the beginning I've been deadset on the 2.7 and sasquatch, However, as of late I've been strongly considering downgrading to the 2.3. I know the 2.7 has more oomph, but realistically in stop and go city traffic with the occasional highway driving, is the 2.3 really much of a downgrade realistically? My main reasoning is MPG, but won't that go out the window with the sasquatch package?
Just curious what others on here who have driven either or both think.
Iā€™ve got the 2.3 MT in non SAS BL and Iā€™m averaging 18 MPG. Youā€™ll do better because your RPMā€™s will be lower in any given gear with the SAS. Get the manual, youā€™ll love it!
Just remembered no manual with SAS, my bad.

Last edited:

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™ve got the 2.3 MT in non SAS BL and Iā€™m averaging 18 MPG. Youā€™ll do better because your RPMā€™s will be lower in any given gear with the SAS. Get the manual, youā€™ll love it!
Just remembered no manual with SAS, my bad.
Will be Man/SAS in one short month.

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

with a 2.3 / Auto , can you still get the 4.27 rear axle. ?????
following
On some trims. I think on Black Diamond when you option the rear locker they give you the 4.27. And the 2.3 vs 2.7 choice is independent of this.

Sponsored

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Will be Man/SAS in one short month.
Having to go badlands to get it though will knock quite a number of the claimed mansquatchers onto the sidelines.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those of you that need engine advice-

While you can opt for an Outer Banks with Ford's 2.3-liter turbo I-4, our test vehicle was equipped with the $1,895 2.7-liter twin-turbo V-6. MotorTrend contributor Basem Wasef simultaneously happened to be driving a two-door Bronco Outer Banks with the four-cylinder, and he felt that even in the smaller, lighter Bronco model, the little engine is weak sauce. Additionally, the Outer Banks trim only comes with a 10-speed automatic transmission, and since you can't get any manual Bronco with the V-6, the big engine is absolutely the way to go. Unconvinced?
This new Bronco is no lightweight, as it tipped our scales to the tune of 4,828 pounds. To put that in perspective, a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara ("Unlimited" is Jeep-speak for four doors) with a 3.6-liter V-6 weighs 4,391 pounds. There's more than 400 pounds of additional beef on the Ford. Yes, you want the V-6.

You can learn more reading one article from automotive experts than of hundreds of owner/test driver reviews...

Bronco88

Black Diamond
First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i've driven a 2.7 black diamond 2 door non sas and a 2.3 badlands 4 door non sas, and honestly i think i had more fun driving the 2.3. The 2.7 is quick dont get me wrong, but theres something about the character of the 2.3 that i really enjoy. Im getting the 2.3 since im getting the manual sas, but i wouldnt hesitate to take a 2.3 either way. The torque numbers are so similar between the two motors
there's almost 100 lbs of difference in torque... 300 or 325 depending on octane for the 2.3. The 2.7 ranges from 400-415lbs depending on octane.

David196

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Traverse
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford should have gave us only two choices for the powertrain.
2.7 mated with an automatic
2.7 mated with a manual transmission

The 2.3 engine order rate is a lot higher than it should because everyone that wanted the manual got stuck with the 2.3 engine.

I would guarantee that over 90% that chose the manual transmission would love to have it with the bigger 2.7 engine and wouldn't off thought twice about order it either.

We should have the administrator do a poll and find the Ford reps to show them their error with the manual transmission.

If Ford actually offered the following what would you order.

A. 2.7 manual transmission
B. Any more powerful engine than the 2.3 with manual transmission.
C. Keep your current MY2021 powertrain options.
2.3 with auto or manual
2.7 with auto.
D. Manufacturers don't realize the manual transmission fell to the waste side because they didn't provide the options or powertrain that came with automatic transmission vehicles. Save the manuals, automatic are boring...lol

2006 Hummer H3 with a manual had the approximately same weight as some Broncos.
That was still fun to own and beat up, but lacked power. The Bronco should be better, but still the 2.7 is there just not available with the manual which makes me a little frustrated.
Definitely all manual, but I also hope for the better engine

Last edited:

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

It really comes down to which tranny you want IMO. Iā€™ve driven both the 2.3 with the 7 MT and true 35ā€™s and the 2.7 with SAS. The 2.3 even with only 4.46 gears was fine with 35ā€™s but not ā€œfastā€ and not a tea sipper. The 2.7 was quicker for sure if thatā€™s what you are looking for. As for MPG, the 2.7 was averaging a couple of MPGā€˜s better than the 2.3. Again, neither is ā€œfastā€ but Iā€˜ve been driving a Lightning for years so a fast Bronco is relative. Neither is going to be a MPG winner either and neither was the Lightning. Like most have said, if the 2.7 came with a MT, it wouldnā€™t be a question for me. But for what I plan on using it for, the 2.3 will be fine and I prefer the MT.

My 2 cents to your question you asked the forum. Thatā€™s exactly what this forum is for.

Sponsored

brian_ssm

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150, Pontiac Trans Am
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For those of you that need engine advice-

While you can opt for an Outer Banks with Ford's 2.3-liter turbo I-4, our test vehicle was equipped with the $1,895 2.7-liter twin-turbo V-6. MotorTrend contributor Basem Wasef simultaneously happened to be driving a two-door Bronco Outer Banks with the four-cylinder, and he felt that even in the smaller, lighter Bronco model, the little engine is weak sauce. Additionally, the Outer Banks trim only comes with a 10-speed automatic transmission, and since you can't get any manual Bronco with the V-6, the big engine is absolutely the way to go. Unconvinced?
This new Bronco is no lightweight, as it tipped our scales to the tune of 4,828 pounds. To put that in perspective, a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara ("Unlimited" is Jeep-speak for four doors) with a 3.6-liter V-6 weighs 4,391 pounds. There's more than 400 pounds of additional beef on the Ford. Yes, you want the V-6.

You can learn more reading one article from automotive experts than of hundreds of owner/test driver reviews...
interesting comment. so since it was in an article its automatically the truth and not the hundreds of owner reviews? You know an article is just one guys opinion right?
To each their own man, it's all relative and their is no 'correct' opinion. It all depends on how your using the vehicle, what your expectations are and what your used to. I have the 2.3 non SAS, have driven my friends 2.7 non SAS quite a bit and do not see a major difference. On the highway the 2.3 cruises along quite nicely and has never left me wanting more while passing etc.
Moral of the story....buy what you think you will need.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Weird how so many are trying to justify the 2.3 to save a couple grand on a ~50k truck! Also, gas mileage is so close that is not a valid argument either. You will always be second guessing yourself for the life of your ownership "I should have got the 2.7". Simply put... The single and only reason to go 2.3 is to get the manual transmission. Nothing else... IMHO šŸ˜ŽšŸ¤™šŸ¼

Good luck
Mike
GVWR and payload are things to also consider for some, not just the size of their dick. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Skeech

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For what ever itā€™s worth I have a 21 ranger and I didnā€™t think I was going to like it but I put it on 33ā€™s and installed the ford performance tuner which also allowed me to calibrate for the 33ā€™s it is a blast to drive especially in sport mode way more power than you would think out of the 2.3 and the shifting with the tuner is way better I am super impressed
Do those modifications impact your warranty at all?

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
interesting comment. so since it was in an article its automatically the truth and not the hundreds of owner reviews? You know an article is just one guys opinion right?
To each their own man, it's all relative and their is no 'correct' opinion. It all depends on how your using the vehicle, what your expectations are and what your used to. I have the 2.3 non SAS, have driven my friends 2.7 non SAS quite a bit and do not see a major difference. On the highway the 2.3 cruises along quite nicely and has never left me wanting more while passing etc.
Moral of the story....buy what you think you will need.
i totally agree. Its crazy to hear so many ranging opinions about whether or not the bronco is "fast" or not in its various powertrain configs.

IMO, its much more important for the "feel" to be right in a vehicle, rather than what the 0-60 is. Anyone looking for a fast bronco, even those coming from V8 pickup trucks, seem to be the ones who are disappointed with the powertrain(s). No one's taking a bronco, or most any of their cars, to a race track. I had a wrx once and sold it because it was too fast to have fun without going to jail. I couldnt imagine what all the guys in their v8 muscle cars are doing for fun in them lol.

I think this should all be looked at relative to the competition and other vehicles in its class. my wrangler with the 3.6 manual is SO gutless its not even funny. It straight up feels like a dog - it seriously can't be driven in 6th gear, and thats with the rubicon gearing. I've had none of these experiences when driving the bronco.

cars today are so much more powerful than they were even 10 years ago... ill always take any reviewer's opinion with a grain of salt when they call a new vehicle slow.

The 2.3 is a really solid motor and doesn't hold the bronco back one bit, IMO
Sponsored