Sponsored

Is there a big difference in the 2.3 and 2.7 with Sasquatch Package?

DrSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The process of changing the oil alone is enough of a reason for me to go with the 2.7. I know people say the filter placement on the 2.3 is no big deal after a couple of changes but sure does seem much easier on a 2.7.
Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody that says the 2.3 is "enough" or just as good as the 2.7 is just trying to justify them not spending the money for the 2.7. With 35's and a heavy vehicle the more power the better

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Anybody that says the 2.3 is "enough" or just as good as the 2.7 is just trying to justify them not spending the money for the 2.7. With 35's and a heavy vehicle the more power the better
Unless you’re getting a manual

Winkydee

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Econoline Cargo Van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unless you’re getting a manual
Exactly. The only reason to get the 2.7 is because people don't know how to enjoy a manual transmission, or can't be bothered to shift/learn.

I'll take more fun please!

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As someone who owns both a 2.3L and a 2.7L Bronco, you will not notice any difference in performance unless you’re on a steep incline (especially if you are using premium gas). It’s only a 30HP difference. And the extra 90lb-ft of torque doesn’t mean much, when you’re dealing with these kinds of turbos.

In the case of the Bronco, gear ratios are more important than the engine. If you want to use 35s, then get Sasquatch included from the factory. My 2.3L Sasquatch Bronco is faster than my buddy’s 2.7L Big Bend, because he upgraded to aftermarket 35s himself, without regearing.

You’ll have fantastic power no matter which engine you choose, as long as your mindful of the gearing. I plan on putting out some videos in the future, to better explain this.

Sponsored

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
As someone who owns both a 2.3L and a 2.7L Bronco, you will not notice any difference in performance unless you’re on a steep incline (especially if you are using premium gas). It’s only a 30HP difference. And the extra 90lb-ft of torque doesn’t mean much, when you’re dealing with these kinds of turbos.

In the case of the Bronco, gear ratios are more important than the engine. If you want to use 35s, then get Sasquatch included from the factory. My 2.3L Sasquatch Bronco is faster than my buddy’s 2.7L Big Bend, because he upgraded to aftermarket 35s himself, without regearing.

You’ll have fantastic power no matter which engine you choose, as long as your mindful of the gearing. I plan on putting out some videos in the future, to better explain this.
So true. Whenever someone on the wrangler forum asks for ideas on how to get more power and better acceleration, the consensus is to always re gear. No different here

Winkydee

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.3L Manual Badlands gets the 4.7 gear ratio in the rear, like the Sasquatch.

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Obligatory snarky post that the difference between the 2.7 and 2.3 is 0.4L.

But I know that was not what you were looking for. I have a stock 4-door BL (I know its no Squatch but very close) with the 2.3 and paired with the manual, my average mpg is about 15.8 with my lead foot. So the Squatch should be a few ticks less. If you are looking for a huge savings is mpg by switching to the 2.3 I don't think you are going to find it.

Also, you didn't specify two or moar-door?
No one seems to have posted about elevation/location. I see PA, TX, and VA. I live at a mile high, drive through the rockies and pull significant grades though passes that are routinely 10k.......I told myself after my weak SR6 4 Runner (and horrible mileage), that I'd never let myself be underpowered again if possible. At sea level, city driving and limited off road use---- I can see the 2.3, BUT...........................

I'd rather take my foot off the gas and reduce speed vs. floored, having to down shift and being annoyed as I pull grade or attempt to pass someone. IMHO.

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Exactly. The only reason to get the 2.7 is because people don't know how to enjoy a manual transmission, or can't be bothered to shift/learn.

I'll take more fun please!
Have you driven one yet? I was all about the man-squatch until I drove a manual badlands. Its really more like driving a manual truck than a Mustang. Its not the same fun-factor I'd hoped and definitely seemed lacking torque which is what makes manuals fun for me, that jump in the bottom of the gear, just wasn't there.

and of course I didn't expect it to be like a modern mustang v8, I'm talking more fox-body 302, which should be close in terms of numbers they give on the 2.3. But it reminded me more of a 70s F100

Last edited:

Winkydee

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you driven one yet? I was all about the man-squatch until I drove a manual badlands. Its really more like driving a manual truck than a Mustang. Its not the same fun-factor I'd hoped and definitely seemed lacking torque which is what makes manuals fun for me, that jump in the bottom of the gear, just wasn't there.
Just an auto 2.3 and 2.7. No manual yet. I hope my idea of fun is easy to achieve in a 2dr Manual BL.

If the manual 2.3L restricts me from driving the way I normally do then that might be a good thing too. My daily is a Mini Cooper Clubman S (mt) and I can get into trouble in that, believe it or not.

Either way, I'll be happy with a stick shift.
I cruise old-ass vehicles (64 Ford Econoline and a 73 VW Type 3) that could never keep up with the 2.3L BL. I think I have low enough expectations that the 2.7 being auto only is not worth the trade-off, for me at least.

YMMV

Sponsored

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

and of course I didn't expect it to be like a modern mustang v8, I'm talking more fox-body 302, which should be close in terms of numbers they give on the 2.3. But it reminded me more of a 70s F100
this is exactly the type of feel the manual buyers are looking for, otherwise they would buy a manual mustang :ROFLMAO:

ya cant have everything in one vehicle lol

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

If like driving a manual truck then great. I enjoyed driving my old manual CJ-5.

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

If like driving a manual truck then great. I enjoyed driving my old manual CJ-5.
If they do the manual in the 2.7, I'll definitely be taking another look.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I haven't read through all of the comments yet but thought I'd offer my input as a current owner of a 2.3L, 7-speed, 2-door 2021 Bronco. I think those who need a lot of power and sports-car like performance in order to enjoy driving, will probably be disappointed. This thing has plenty of power, in my opinion, but it's not a sports car. For me, it's just fine. I like a 4X4 that performs well off-road, and so far this one does just that. It's fine for me on-road too. It's no slouch in the power department, but it's not going to outrun a Raptor. But neither will the 2.7.

When my Bronco had the stock tires on it, it would handily out-run my Early Bronco on 37's with 4.56 gears and a 5.8-liter V8 (GT-40 intake but otherwise stock from a '95 Bronco). The 5.8L would get the jump off the line, but the 2.3L would overtake it within about 100 yards, then have a couple of car lengths on it by about an 1/8 mile. As that turbo spins up it just runs away. Since I put the 35's on, it's probably a more even match though I haven't lined them up yet. That V8 probably has around 300 horsepower, maybe a little less. Which matches pretty evenly with the 2.3L in my 2021 Bronco, with differences in gear ratios, tire sizes, vehicle weights and of course optimal power band (RPM range) of each engine making the difference.

I'm not a 2.3L fanboy. To be honest, I would prefer a V8 just for the sound. My 5.8L sounds badass. My 2.3L sounds like a sewing machine. I won't make any excuses for the 2.3L or try to convince anyone that it's "adequate" or powerful enough. That's something that each driver has to determine for him or herself. But for me, it's plenty powerful. And with the manual transmission's crawler gear and the 4.46 diff gears that come with it, it's an absolute tractor off-road. It can idle itself up as steep of an incline as it has enough traction to grip. Even on 35's without a gear change.

The 2.3L is just fine for my needs and for this particular rig. Would it still be, with the shallower gears of the automatic or the extra weight of a 4-door? I have no clue.

Ford Bronco Is there a big difference in the 2.3 and 2.7 with Sasquatch Package? IMG_0548.JPG

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I haven't read through all of the comments yet but thought I'd offer my input as a current owner of a 2.3L, 7-speed, 2-door 2021 Bronco. I think those who need a lot of power and sports-car like performance in order to enjoy driving, will probably be disappointed. This thing has plenty of power, in my opinion, but it's not a sports car. For me, it's just fine. I like a 4X4 that performs well off-road, and so far this one does just that. It's fine for me on-road too. It's no slouch in the power department, but it's not going to outrun a Raptor. But neither will the 2.7.

When my Bronco had the stock tires on it, it would handily out-run my Early Bronco on 37's with 4.56 gears and a 5.8-liter V8 (GT-40 intake but otherwise stock from a '95 Bronco). The 5.8L would get the jump off the line, but the 2.3L would overtake it within about 100 yards, then have a couple of car lengths on it by about an 1/8 mile. As that turbo spins up it just runs away. Since I put the 35's on, it's probably a more even match though I haven't lined them up yet. That V8 probably has around 300 horsepower, maybe a little less. Which matches pretty evenly with the 2.3L in my 2021 Bronco, with differences in gear ratios, tire sizes, vehicle weights and of course optimal power band (RPM range) of each engine making the difference.

I'm not a 2.3L fanboy. To be honest, I would prefer a V8 just for the sound. My 5.8L sounds badass. My 2.3L sounds like a sewing machine. I won't make any excuses for the 2.3L or try to convince anyone that it's "adequate" or powerful enough. That's something that each driver has to determine for him or herself. But for me, it's plenty powerful. And with the manual transmission's crawler gear and the 4.46 diff gears that come with it, it's an absolute tractor off-road. It can idle itself up as steep of an incline as it has enough traction to grip. Even on 35's without a gear change.

The 2.3L is just fine for my needs and for this particular rig. Would it still be, with the shallower gears of the automatic or the extra weight of a 4-door? I have no clue.

Ford Bronco Is there a big difference in the 2.3 and 2.7 with Sasquatch Package? IMG_0548.JPG
Thanks for the info. To me, given the 30" tires on the base, the stock 4.46 diff gears (for manual trans) seemed kind of steep. BUT, that also seemed a good thing, for those planning to swap for 33-35" tires. It's good to hear your 35" tires are doing ok with the 4.46 diffs. Because it saves the hassle/expense of having to swap diff gears for the larger tires.
Sponsored