Sponsored

Is there a big difference in the 2.3 and 2.7 with Sasquatch Package?

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As someone who owns both a 2.3L and a 2.7L Bronco, you will not notice any difference in performance unless you’re on a steep incline (especially if you are using premium gas). It’s only a 30HP difference. And the extra 90lb-ft of torque doesn’t mean much, when you’re dealing with these kinds of turbos.

In the case of the Bronco, gear ratios are more important than the engine. If you want to use 35s, then get Sasquatch included from the factory. My 2.3L Sasquatch Bronco is faster than my buddy’s 2.7L Big Bend, because he upgraded to aftermarket 35s himself, without regearing.

You’ll have fantastic power no matter which engine you choose, as long as your mindful of the gearing. I plan on putting out some videos in the future, to better explain this.

How is the 2.3l Sasquatch accelerating uphill on the interstate in the mountains at speeds of 65mph to 75mph? Is there plenty of uphill passing power at elevation?
Sponsored

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How is the 2.3l Sasquatch accelerating uphill on the interstate in the mountains at speeds of 65mph to 75mph? Is there plenty of uphill passing power at elevation?
Going up steep inclines is the only time I notice the performance difference between the 2.3L and the 2.7L. Both engines have plenty of power to get the job done, but the 2.3L just has to work a little harder. Passing is never an issue, no matter the situation.

The good thing about these turbos, is that there’s minimal power loss at high elevation (if any).

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
interesting comment. so since it was in an article its automatically the truth and not the hundreds of owner reviews? You know an article is just one guys opinion right?
To each their own man, it's all relative and their is no 'correct' opinion. It all depends on how your using the vehicle, what your expectations are and what your used to. I have the 2.3 non SAS, have driven my friends 2.7 non SAS quite a bit and do not see a major difference. On the highway the 2.3 cruises along quite nicely and has never left me wanting more while passing etc.
Moral of the story....buy what you think you will need.
No I would never believe only one automotive expert. But I will never believe hearsay from anyone that thinks they know.

How about more reviews by auto experts...

Although the four-pot emits a less-than-invigorating thrum and is easier to catch off boost, particularly with the manual, it only gives up 30 horses to the V-6.
CAR and DRIVER

Both engines provide adequate response and low-end torque once geared down in four-low, but the 2.3-liter needs time for the turbo to wind up in daily driving.
HAGERTY

The rest of the transmission's gearing is excessively tall, and we had to change gears later than we normally would lest low revs magnify whatever turbo lag the 2.3-liter engine exhibits. As we charged up the steep inclines that give Texas Hill Country its name, we found we often had to downshift to fifth or fourth to maintain our mile-a-minute pace.
MOTORTREND

The clutch is somewhat vague, which combined with the 2.3's less-predictable throttle tuning made for a rather disappointing experience.
motor1

The 2.3-liter turbo-four seems to have enough grunt on paper, but it felt a bit sluggish in spots, especially when climbing a grade. I found myself downshifting more than I expected to, and it wasn’t until I hit some open highway late in the drive that I found myself using fifth and sixth gears. I wonder how the four-cylinder can handle the extra weight of the four-door – and how it works in concert with the 10-speed, regardless of door count.
The Truth About Cars

The 2.3-liter turbocharged engine definitely needs boost to have any amount of low-end torque. Starting off in first gear, I found myself lugging the engine a bit as the motor began building boost, taking a moment to accelerate out of the hole.
jalopnik

I went with the Bronco my id would want: a loaded, red, two-door Badlands trim model with a seven-speed manual transmission (only available with the smaller but still capable 2.3-liter inline-four engine). It was not the ideal choice for Austin, which was much hillier than I anticipated
GEAR PATROL

B-Rad

First Edition
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Bronco 1978 Bronco 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Do those modifications impact your warranty at all?
The tuner is a Ford tuner and works with the factory warranty, not sure how the aftermarket leveling kit with the 33’s affect the warranty?

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We now have 5,400 miles on our 4-door Bandlands non-sas with the 2.7. Our overall mpg since we purchased it is 20.1 mpg. It gets slightly better than our son's 2021 Wrangler Rubicon with the Pentastar 3.6.

I have fallen in love with the 2.7 engine! It has very good trail manners, tows well and is just a blast to drive. The 2.7 also has multi-port fuel injection to clean the intake valves while the 2.3 does not (which may later add to the expense of owning the 2.3). To each their own but for me, the 2.7 is the right choice!

Sponsored

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco, plaid S, xc90, rivian, element
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
any try tuning the 2.3 with a SAS? I would buy the 2.7 all day if I could actually get one. The model I have available to me now is a SAS badlands with a 2.3 auto. Not looking for a race car just want to make sure I dont need to wait forever to merge on the highway or pass people when needed. Slow cars can be a safety concern if its too slow. We had a crosstrek that you couldnt get on any highway cause it was so slow had to be the jerk waiting two minutes for a long break to get off of the on ramp to merge in. My other cars a tesla plaid so I have a fast car already just want to make sure its adequate to safely get on the high way, and overtake people when needed.

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
I downgraded from a 2.7 non sas BB order to a 2.3 Basesquatch, and love my decision. 2 door is so much fun to drive. Grabbed a pedal commander, an FP tune, Whipple intercooler, new exhaust, and CAI, and I am one happy camper. Don’t regret my decision one bit. Take the saved money and get more mods 🙃

FreddieLee

Wildtrak
First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the 2.3L in an Everglades, and I was definitely pleasantly surprised. Without doubt, a very capable engine. Throttle response in instant, and between merging onto the highway, passing other vehicles, or accelerating uphill, I cannot speak to any disadvantages, nor does the vehicle feel underpowered. Mind you, that's with the extra weight of roof rack, a modular bumper, and an estimated 100lbs of winch / hardware on the front-end.

I use Costco premium gasoline (91) exclusively, and average 17.3mpg in stop and go conditions on surface streets.

zerk4321

Base
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch Rapid Red
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don’t know about the comparison, but I have the 4-door with 2.7 with Sasquatch. I love it. Great acceleration merging on the highway (more than needed)-will put you back in your seat. There is a bit of turbo lag, but once familiar with its traits, you adjust. I’ve only used normal driving mode (not sport or eco) - I’ve gotten about 18.7 mpg over about 12k miles (87 octane only). Never drive over about 72 mph. My son convinced me that if I got the 2.7 I would never regret it, but if I got the 2.3, I would/might - he was right - knowing myself, if I got the 2.3 I would likely always question it.

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have 2.7 SAS 4-door and the most I got in combined was 18.6 mpg. The mpg difference was minimal so I went larger. I have not really stretched it but it’s pretty quick for a truck.

Sponsored

Cl1ckst3r

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
DAMMIT. You got me cross eyed now lol
Or your dealer highly recommends you order the 2.3, if you want your Bronco anytime soon. ;-)

Yes, I wanted the 2.7 but I am happy with the 2.3--Of Course I added, the K&N Intake and Ford Performance Tune.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Our 2.3 gets worse mileage than our 2.7 and I’ve heard the same from other owners. Consistently 2 mpg less than our 2.7 with 2” smaller tires on the 2.3. Same gear ratios.
The kicker is in town the 2.3 is more pleasant to drive when you hit the gas it goes. The 2.7 you hit the gas it thinks about it then goes. The 2.7 programming is horrible.
merging onto the freeway 2.7 hands down. I’ve never felt the 2.3 was underpowered off road either. Just don’t buy it thinking you’re getting better mileage.
Sponsored

Last edited: