Sponsored

Is there a built in cutoff for Aux Switches?

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Every time I think about the aux switches, I imagine children and drunk passengers flipping the switches and causing problems.

I don't have a Bronco in hand to tinker with, but am wondering if there is any way to disable the switches?

If there is no way to do this, provided by Ford, I may have to dedicate one of the Aux switches to controlling a big relay that powers the rest of the switches (or maybe even a separate switch on the drivers side).
Sponsored

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No, The switches (in other Ford applications anyhow) are ignition hot with the option of switching two of them to battery hot. But if the ignition is on the switch will activate.

I've never heard of this being an issue and since I work at a vehicle upfitter and utilize these switches all day every day for multiple items but mostly lighting.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, The switches (in other Ford applications anyhow) are ignition hot with the option of switching two of them to battery hot. But if the ignition is on the switch will activate.

I've never heard of this being an issue and since I work at a vehicle upfitter and utilize these switches all day every day for multiple items but mostly lighting.
I know this is a bit off topic, but you're saying these switches are only hot when the vehicle is on? What if you want your lights on while it's off? I know this would kill your battery over time, but you might need it for a short period - Just curious.

To the OP: If your passenger is that drunk, nothings stopping them from grabbing your steering wheel while you're driving or opening the door and jumping out. You likely have bigger concerns at that point.

ThunderSquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch, (ex: RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI 4x4)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wire the switches to a passenger ejector seat…. problem will solve itself.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know this is a bit off topic, but you're saying these switches are only hot when the vehicle is on? What if you want your lights on while it's off? I know this would kill your battery over time, but you might need it for a short period - Just curious.

To the OP: If your passenger is that drunk, nothings stopping them from grabbing your steering wheel while you're driving or opening the door and jumping out. You likely have bigger concerns at that point.
Then you tap the start button with your foot off the brake with the key in the Bronco, and you get accessory power.

There won't be an easy way to add a cut off to the aux switches without installing some type of complicated secondary switch capable of disconnecting 6 circuits, because each upfitter switch is individually ran to an exit point near the fuse box in under the hood.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jhuff

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If your passenger is that drunk, nothings stopping them from grabbing your steering wheel while you're driving or opening the door and jumping out. You likely have bigger concerns at that point.
Haha! Well yes and no. The reason this scenario is in my head is because it happened a few months ago. I was giving a ride to an innebreated friend, and through no ill will, they hit every button on my dash looking for... Something... I'm guessing the radio

In my Tacoma, all they turned on were my flashers and AC; but, if they had access to HID or LED projectors with oncoming traffic.... Ouch. 😂

There won't be an easy way to add a cut off to the aux switches without installing some type of complicated secondary switch capable of disconnecting 6 circuits, because each upfitter switch is individually ran to an exit point near the fuse box in under the
Hmmm. I was hoping there would be a single power supply to the upfitter relay box, which could be cut off by an appropriate sized relay.

Still lots of thinking to do on the need and ability to do so.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haha! Well yes and no. The reason this scenario is in my head is because it happened a few months ago. I was giving a ride to an innebreated friend, and through no ill will, they hit every button on my dash looking for... Something... I'm guessing the radio

In my Tacoma, all they turned on were my flashers and AC; but, if they had access to HID or LED projectors with oncoming traffic.... Ouch. 😂

Hmmm. I was hoping there would be a single power supply to the upfitter relay box, that could be cut off with the appropriate sized relay.

Still lots of thinking to do on the need and ability to do so.
The amp ratings are different based on each aux switch run and each run is individually fused. Even worse, the part of the circuit you can gain access to is after the fusing happens (in the engine compartment), so you'll need to bust into a wiring harness somewhere to get access. Although, maybe it's better to do it after the fusing. Not sure on that one. Someone more experienced can clarify that part.

Maybe a little spray bottle would be easier. Any time a drunk passenger gets handsy with your upfitters, give em a little spritz like you would an unruly housecat.

OP
OP
Jhuff

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...you'll need to bust into a wiring harness somewhere to get access.
Ouch. Yeah there goes my idea of this being "simple". I had pictured something similar to my current Aux fuse block, with a main feed and bus that distributes the positive current.

Thanks!

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ouch. Yeah there goes my idea of this being "simple". I had pictured something similar to my current Aux fuse block, with a main feed and bus that distributes the positive current.

Thanks!
Ford Bronco Is there a built in cutoff for Aux Switches? 1636135086065

i'm sure it's possible somehow. I haven't seen the cable run between the aux switches and the Power Distribution Box. I know it comes pre-wired even if you skip the upfitter switches. The easily accessible wire connections are after it exits the power distribution. You have essentially 6 wires popping out right by your firewall in the hood area that you then connect to B1, B2 or C to move power around the vehicle.

I tried getting into that aux switch area inside the Bronco for a dash cam install and I couldn't find a way to get it open without damaging the plastics. The rest of the vehicle is quite easy to take apart as needed though.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Correct. Most every fleet manager I deal with wants every accessory ignition hot because the guys will forget the thing (lights, inverter..ect) ON and kill the batteries.

On Super Duty trucks and Ford Transits you can change 2 of those switches to battery hot if that's a requirement for the end user. I assume the Bronco will be like other Ford products. RAM trucks are just about the same.

Sponsored

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Find new passengers!

Jofenech

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have them in my Transit, they are low mounted, my dog is constantly switching them on ,fortunately I’ve never had the need to hook them up in the transit.

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Clueless here.
Will you need to have a second battery for anything hooked up (like mini fridge, etc), or for anything hooked up to the aux switches (like lights, etc)?
If so, is there even room for a second battery? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clueless here.
Will you need to have a second battery for anything hooked up (like mini fridge, etc), or for anything hooked up to the aux switches (like lights, etc)?
If so, is there even room for a second battery? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
A second battery or a device to monitor battery draw and disconnect the circuit when the voltage hits your safe point. The battery included is pretty beefy though.

I'll be wiring in a LiLon power station that can accept solar to keep everything powered and topped off.

JLC64UK

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 21 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
kind of off topic but then again. What is the on and off position for the aux switches?
On is orange and blue is off? or vice-versa? When mine was delivered they were in the orange lighted position and I cannot seem to find any information which indicates which is correct.
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored