First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I currently did the Roush intake and exhaust on my 3.5 f150fx4 and love it. Huge gains in torque and hp. I will hold out for the Roush. It is pricey, but you know you are getting a good product.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

To get the best sound from your EcoBoost exhaust system you will want a true cold air intake, upgraded catted high flow downpipes, and something like the borla atak or Magnaflow. All of that paired with an SCT tuner with custom 93 octane tune and your EcoBoost will become an Ecobeast and sound great too (more like a diesel). Those mods made my 3.5 come alive and sound great too. Just expect to spend around $3-4k to do it right. Don't custom tune your vehicle before your warranty is expired as it will void it if the dealership catches it on an OBD scan.

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

every mustang that has had a borla exhaust that i have heard has been obnoxiously loud.
Na, not necessarily. Had multiple Mustangs here and multiple borlas. Depends on model of borlas. I had atak’s on my Bullitt, I have never and I mean never received so many compliments about the exhaust sound. It was amazing! More compliments than even my old 90 GT with long tubes, h-pipe and flowmasters.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
To get the best sound from your EcoBoost exhaust system you will want a true cold air intake, upgraded catted high flow downpipes, and something like the borla atak or Magnaflow. All of that paired with an SCT tuner with custom 93 octane tune and your EcoBoost will become an Ecobeast and sound great too (more like a diesel). Those mods made my 3.5 come alive and sound great too. Just expect to spend around $3-4k to do it right. Don't custom tune your vehicle before your warranty is expired as it will void it if the dealership catches it on an OBD scan.
I hear you. Food for thought, Roush products are available at most Ford dealerships, but not all items like down pipes, etc.. The items they do carry will not void the warranty. In lieu of the intake I want a snorkel. As for custom tunes I will most likely not venture there while in warranty.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
The cats on a vehicle are used to store and release oxygen in exhaust which exits the vehicle. The gov't has set limits to what comes out the tailpipes. CA. has the most strict regulations with large urban areas following. When you remove the cats and open the exhaust up you have taken the pre and post exhaust oxygen/temp sensors out of fuel control. The pre O/2 sensors produces a sign wave running between .02 and .8 volts. The post O/2 is more stasis at .45volts. The milliseconds of fuel injector timing is determined by that. The engine control module has no references and the CEL lamp lites and the system puts in predetermined values. So you don't know if you have gained power/torque or lost it. Plus your vehicle no longer meets federal regulations and it has the potential of adding $100k to the price of the vehicle by altering emissions. And they can pull the license plates until it meets gov't guidelines. I have seen this rural Iowa. I could explain fuel and air management in gas and diesel all day, and enjoy boring you. Kevin.

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A cat-back system doesn't replace or remove anything in the emissions system hence why it's called a "cat-back". It therefore doesn't interfere in any of the engine management systems. All the O2 sensors are left in place. The computer is still getting all the proper reads on air fuel mixture. Your argument is valid if you add headers/downpipes that force you to remove the catalytic converters. Long tube headers generally do but not "shorties" that just replace the factory exhaust manifolds. That being said, there are aftermarket catalytic converters that can be added in even if you went that route to maintain compliance. I "deleted" the very restrictive factory catalytic converters with these freer flowing models. We deal with the California Air Resources Board Exempt Order process on a daily basis at my work. They're the strictest rules in the country and we still manage to add superchargers obviously ahead of the catalytic converters and within the emissions monitoring to dozens of platforms that still satisfy their requirements. A cat-back system beyond them isn't going to screw them up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I usually like the note of a Gibson, but here's a clip that still leaves me on the fence between it and an ATAK setup.

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
A cat-back system doesn't replace or remove anything in the emissions system hence why it's called a "cat-back". It therefore doesn't interfere in any of the engine management systems. All the O2 sensors are left in place. The computer is still getting all the proper reads on air fuel mixture. Your argument is valid if you add headers/downpipes or remove the catalytic converters. That being said, there are aftermarket catalytic converters that can be added in even if you went that route to maintain compliance. I "deleted" the very restrictive factory catalytic converters with these freer flowing models. We deal with the California Air Resources Board Exempt Order process on a daily basis at my work. They're the strictest rules in the country and we still manage to add superchargers obviously ahead of the catalytic converters and within the emissions monitoring to dozens of platforms that still satisfy their requirements. A cat-back system beyond them isn't going to screw them up.
Understood.. Have you monitored exhaust back pressure (EBP) pre-cat before and after Cat-Back systems have been installed? The OEM cat is still the restrictive portion of the system. I have not seen an aftermarket cat that would increase air flow and still maintain efficiency. I may be wrong, I deal with people that don't like seeing that CEL lamp on.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Understood.. Have you monitored exhaust back pressure (EBP) pre-cat before and after Cat-Back systems have been installed? The OEM cat is still the restrictive portion of the system. I have not seen an aftermarket cat that would increase air flow and still maintain efficiency. I may be wrong, I deal with people that don't like seeing that CEL lamp on.
I had our guys at work tune my car after I installed the cold-air intake, headers and cat-back. It has never thrown a Check Engine Light and passes a sniff test at inspection. Did add about 40 horsepower at the wheel so I'm pushing 500 at the crank tho.

There are a handful of minor differences between our 50-state legal kits that carry an EO sticker and our 49-state legal kits. The 50-state kits are not in any way customizable. We buy a vehicle for every test, install our kit, tune it and take it our Cali office to go through their EO process. Once it passes inspection it is allowed for sale there or any place that chooses to follow their standard. Sometimes they require us to use the factory air box rather than an open element air filter as some applications use a carbon filter in the OEM air box that must be retained. Our 49-state kits can generally be ordered with a wide selection of superchargers, with or without a preset tune, injectors, etc. to meet whatever power level you desire.
Sponsored

Last edited: