Sponsored

Is this a typo? 6.8L for F150 and Mustang in 2022?

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/breaking-unifor-and-ford-reach-tentative-agreement

Dias said Ford’s Windsor engine plants will begin producing a new 6.8-litre engine in 2022 for the F-150 pickup truck line-up and for the Ford Mustang.
This surely is a typo right? I'd think the Mustang would have to grow considerably to fit a 6.8L.

Admin Edit:

@NurseDan provides confirmation that this isn't a typo by the author. He downloaded the Unifor press conference in which the union president clearly says 6.8L engine built in Windsor. Listen at the 01:57 mark:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3iex143duqwyi3/Ford TA News Conference-2020.09.22.mp4?dl=0
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Could they mean bringing back the 5.8 Windsor???? oooh... now let's get it in the Bronco and I'm there!!!

OP
OP
RedRiverRev

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I mean, surely anything with a footprint small enough to fit into a Mustang could also fit in the Bronco's engine bay.

Gene Dios

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Remember they plan on making Mustang and Bronco both into sub-brands. "Mustang" will no longer mean the latest model year Ford mustang in x, y, z trim. It could be referring to a completely new model, like a mid engine or something.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RedRiverRev

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
could be a smaller version of the godzilla. which iirc is smaller than the coyote already
Yeah, I think it's narrower, but I thought it was too tall? I know it's heavy...so maybe Ford is destroking and making it aluminum?

OP
OP
RedRiverRev

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Remember they plan on making Mustang and Bronco both into sub-brands. "Mustang" will no longer mean the latest model year Ford mustang in x, y, z trim. It could be referring to a completely new model, like a mid engine or something.
Right...and there were rumors that the S650 would be growing. Maybe that sedan is finally coming?

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, I think it's narrower, but I thought it was too tall? I know it's heavy...so maybe Ford is destroking and making it aluminum?
I mean it will likely have a car intake on it since the intake is massive in truck trim
ford-1593521224.jpg

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, everything but one line, basically, talks about batteries and five new electric vehicles and we're supposed to believe a journalist scooped a new 6.8 liter engine?

Engines that will fit the Mustang are not guaranteed to fit the Bronco, see: Coyote is too damned wide.

Do not give me the 351 Windsor in the new Bronco. Even in the Lightning, it barely squeaked out 240hp/340tq for all of that volume.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RedRiverRev

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So, everything but one line, basically, talks about batteries and five new electric vehicles and we're supposed to believe a journalist scooped a new 6.8 liter engine?

Engines that will fit the Mustang are not guaranteed to fit the Bronco, see: Coyote is too damned wide.

Do not give me the 351 Windsor in the new Bronco. Even in the Lightning, it barely squeaked out 240hp/340tq for all of that volume.

It's happened before with these union deal press leaks. They can sometimes bury agreements about upcoming products. Not much Ford can do about it to keep it secret. 2022 is close enough probably to not be a major trade secret, I would guess.

It's interesting to think about swap ideas in the future. I know the Godzilla Bronco is coming...someone is crazy enough to try it. :LOL:

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But why not both? A forced induction v8 is a beautiful thing. There is much truth to the adage that there's no substitute for cubic inches. You can boost all of them.

There's not technically anything "old fashioned" about a v8, though they are out of favor for many good reasons... that doesn't mean that they're good for nothing.
Sponsored